Adding Disk / Other Problems

Hey guys, New unraid user. 

I initially created the array with 1 parity, and 1 data drive. I have since filled that drive, and have added another drive. Did the pre-clear and added to array successfully. 

Parity, Disk1, Disk2 are showing. I have tried the config on my share to select Disk1 and Disk1, as well as "All" and it does not scale-up to the second disk. Trying to copy files to it says not enough space

Attached Diagnostic Zip, 

Thanks for the help!

tower-diagnostics-20170720-2057.zip

The disk screenshot is below, as you can see "System" share has access to disk1 and disk2, but the others do not even tho all is selected. 

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0296cekw01

Edited by riopgtmn

New Config just allows you to reassign your disks. It will rebuild parity unless you tell it not to.

It won't have any effect on the problem you have been describing in this thread, though.

Looking at your diagnostics, Disk1 is not even close to full, so this whole discussion is on the wrong track.

5 hours ago, riopgtmn said:

I have a question, 

Under Tools > New Config 

If I run this tool and select retain Parity and Data, will it keep the data? Thanks! 

You need to post a screenshot like this for the share you are trying to copy to in order for us to help you. Unless your share name it top secret, you will not be sharing anything private. And if the share name is sensitive, just use a little editing to remove it.

GuestShare.JPG.29e5646fca2245f1a27b73e2590749f9.JPG

The problem is the minimum disk space setting. You should increase it to a size equal to 2x the largest file you expect to be copying to the share. This is how much space has to be free on a disk before unRaid will attempt to copy a new file to that disk. Your setting says no space is required.

7 minutes ago, riopgtmn said:

It still only shows Disk1 under the Share

That's normal, it will only appear after unRAID starts writing that share on disk2 (or if you manually create that folder on disk2), since you're using highwater it will only start writing on disk2 after disk1 is over 50% used, so all perfectly normal, if you turn on the help all this is explained.

The min available setting is completely ignored if the split level dictates what drive will be used. So if you are storing TV shows, and have a directory for each TV show, and the split level says that the TV Show folders can't be split, then unRAID will continue to try copy every file for that TV show to that disk, even if the disk space is well below min free. And if the copy fails, it will not try to copy it to a different disk. Also, unRAID will NEVER split a file, with part of one disk and part on another.

Now if a NEW TV show is added, unRAID will place that new TV show folder on a different disk that meets the min free requirement at that moment. But once it the folder is there, the min free is ignored and all seasons and episodes for that show will be sent to that disk. (See link below for more info on how to use this to your advantage)

If you set the split level one higher, now each TV show SEASON will stay on one disk, and when there is a new season, the min free will again be used to determine on which drive to place that Season. That's what the split levels are for - to try to maintain some order to your user shares and keep related files together. 

Used to be movies were split into multiple physical files (e.g., DVD rips). After part1 finished playing, part2 would start. The person watching should not notice as the media player quick switches from one to the next. But if part1 was on one disk, and part2 were on a different disk, and the disk containing part2 was spun down, you get a lengthy pause while the disk spins up before part2 starts. This was ultra-annoying, and part of the history of things like split level and high water which are ways to try to keep logical parts together.

For many of my shares, I put them on one disk and leave them that way. They'll never get bigger than a few gig, and I'd just as soon they stay put. My screen shot for "Guest" is exactly that type of share, confined to disk1. But some of my shares are large, and I'll carefully tune the split level with my folder structure to keep the files I want together together. 

Other people prefer to let unRAID manage the space, and just set all their shares to use all their disks and let the files wind up where they will. It is not common today to be watching DVD rips - most media files are just single large files which have to be on a single disk. And high water mark helps keep related files together if you are copying all data to a folder at one time.

Each user's method depends on how OCD they are. :) But understanding the whys and wherefores early will help people avoid having files inappropriately spread hither and yon and trying to correct it later.

Here is a link that explains some more details about min free and split levels and might be helpful.

I still can't copy files more than 1.91 GB. 

As you see in this picture, My DATA Share is only set to use Disk1, Even tho, Inside the settings of the share it is set to use all disks. 

http://awesomescreenshot.com/01d6cfqu94

Now, For some reason, Domains uses Disk2 and System uses Disk1 and Disk2. 

Considering all shares are set to use all disks, Shouldnt each share be set to use Disk1 and Disk2? 

You can go to the unRaid command line (server console or by using something like putty to ssh into the server) and enter this command ...

mkdir /mnt/disk2/Data

That should force unRAID to see Data as being on disk2 as well as disk1.

4 hours ago, riopgtmn said:

I still can't copy files more than 1.91 GB. 

As you see in this picture, My DATA Share is only set to use Disk1, Even tho, Inside the settings of the share it is set to use all disks. 

http://awesomescreenshot.com/01d6cfqu94

Now, For some reason, Domains uses Disk2 and System uses Disk1 and Disk2. 

Considering all shares are set to use all disks, Shouldnt each share be set to use Disk1 and Disk2? 

I think that there is a fundamental misunderstanding here!    Your screenshot shows which disks already have files or folders for the share on them - not which disks are allowed for the share.   A disk shows up at your screenshot level only when it actually contains files that are part of the share.