AirVideo Server for iPhone/iPad- a "how-to"

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I am a new unRaid (and completely novice Linux) user trying to get this setup for the first time and have been having some general issues.  I've gotten past (I think) most of the server side stuff and am now logged into the server via the iPhone app.  The problem is I don't see any files whatsoever in the folder.  I made sure to change the test.properties file to point to the correct folder, but still nothing.  I was hoping someone might be able to give me some ideas as I have no idea what the problem might be.  As far as I can tell the server is running correctly, but honestly I am not even sure that is the case.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, as noobie checking out this thread, there are several spelling/syntax errors in the original post which got me hung up a few times.  It might be a good idea for someone to change them so people like myself aren't getting confused.

Hi,

I am a new unRaid (and completely novice Linux) user trying to get this setup for the first time and have been having some general issues.  I've gotten past (I think) most of the server side stuff and am now logged into the server via the iPhone app.  The problem is I don't see any files whatsoever in the folder.  I made sure to change the test.properties file to point to the correct folder, but still nothing.  I was hoping someone might be able to give me some ideas as I have no idea what the problem might be.  As far as I can tell the server is running correctly, but honestly I am not even sure that is the case.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, as noobie checking out this thread, there are several spelling/syntax errors in the original post which got me hung up a few times.  It might be a good idea for someone to change them so people like myself aren't getting confused.

Have you tried looking into unmenu?  There is a thread about it in this forum and it will allow you to install a lot of things quite easily.

I attached a prelim version of a package that will install Airvideo for you, you just need to install 2 things before it to work.  The Java JRE package and the C Compiler package.

Hi,

Have you tried looking into unmenu?  There is a thread about it in this forum and it will allow you to install a lot of things quite easily.

I attached a prelim version of a package that will install Airvideo for you, you just need to install 2 things before it to work.  The Java JRE package and the C Compiler package.

I've looked into unMenu briefly, but it was quick as I had been messing around with installing it manually for most of the day and did not read that far into the thread until much later.  I have two basic concerns about using the unMenu method of installing things, but maybe you can quell them both.  My first concern is that the scripts are set to download the files from a specific location.  I think my preference is that I have the files install from the server directly in case these files are moved or anything changes.  Perhaps I am over thinking this and it would be easy to edit in the script and have it install from wherever I want?  Also, I am attempting to install several different programs (e.g. PS3Mediaserver, AirVideo, et al) many of which appear to share dependencies.  I am not quite sure how all this works but it seems like if I am not careful I will end-up installing something like ffmpeg or JRE multiple times for different programs.  I was hoping to get each thing working and then parse out what dependencies (I hope I am phrasing this correctly) I need and get them into a central location so I can make my install as clean and easy to follow as possible.  Any suggestions in this regard?  I am actually doing this a test to make sure I can get everything I will need working before diving headfirst into my "real" unRaid build.

Also, if I need to post this somewhere else please let me know, I realize it's somewhat off topic.

My first concern is that the scripts are set to download the files from a specific location.  I think my preference is that I have the files install from the server directly in case these files are moved or anything changes.

As long as the links to the file are still good the file is only downloaded once from that location and then never again.  The package manager (the part of unmenu installing this stuff) is doing exactly what you do by manually downloading the file to the server and then running "installpkg" to install it... it is just doing it transparently.

Perhaps I am over thinking this and it would be easy to edit in the script and have it install from wherever I want?

A little, but i think what you are saying is that you want to create an "airvideo" folder and then run everything out of there? If that is the case, it is a little harder to do with unmenu as it standardizes everything and puts it in the /boot/packages folder.  This does make it a little more difficult to find stuff, but technically you don't really need to know where the files are.

Also, I am attempting to install several different programs (e.g. PS3Mediaserver, AirVideo, et al) many of which appear to share dependencies.  I am not quite sure how all this works but it seems like if I am not careful I will end-up installing something like ffmpeg or JRE multiple times for different programs.  I was hoping to get each thing working and then parse out what dependencies (I hope I am phrasing this correctly) I need and get them into a central location so I can make my install as clean and easy to follow as possible.  Any suggestions in this regard?

I install a lot of things, that probably share and use the same libraries and I have never had a problem "installing it multiple times." The package (i.e. java JRE) is installed using "installpkg" and the install script built into that only installs it to one spot. If it already exists there it is either overwritten or not installed.

It is up to you on how you want to install your apps.  You can download unmenu anyway and use the .autoinstall feature to install your custom scripts.  You can also look through the .conf files to get an idea on how some of the stuff is installed. All the PACKAGE_INSTALLATION lines are is a bash script to do the installation for you.

That pretty well clears a lot up for me actually.  I wasn't aware that the download part of the script was only happening the one time so that makes me feel better. I don't really care where unMenu is saving the stuff, I actually just want all the packages together in one happy little packagey folder which sounds like exactly what it is doing.  As for installing things multiple times I was just concerned about needlessly eating resources or causing conflicts although admittedly I am probably being overly cautious.  That being said, do you know offhand what makes the version off ffmpeg installed here special from the one installed with say PS3Mediaserver?  Should one take priority over the other?  Also, you said things can either be overwritten or not installed, is what happens based on something specific?  Thanks again for your patience and help :)

Thanks for the Air script.  Got it working and it works great.

How would i add a video second folder to the list?  When i add the folder it reverts back to the default setting.

What is the port that i use to forward to it so i can get to it from the outside world?

Thanks

How would i add a video second folder to the list?  When i add the folder it reverts back to the default setting.

What is the port that i use to forward to it so i can get to it from the outside world?

Thanks

To add more than one folder to the list you should just have to separate them with a comma AND no spaces.

I am not sure of the port to be honest, that would be something to look for over on the AirVideo forum.  You will need a dynamic dns name set up though (unless you plan to always track your IP).

Thanks for the Air script.  Got it working and it works great.

How would i add a video second folder to the list?  When i add the folder it reverts back to the default setting.

Thanks

prostuff1 answered your folder question, as for the port, the default is 45631, but as prostuff1 mentioned, the best way to get everything going is with a dynamic dns name setup, then have the router forward port 45631 to your unRAID server.

• 1 month later...

I just started using AirVideo on my ipad and it is nice.

I was not even aware of the Linux app. I have 2 unraid servers here.

Does this package work with iso files? All of my DVDs are in iso format.

My blu rays are in the folder structure format (BDMV, etc)

This is the wall I hit when trying to use the windows version. I do not want to convert all of my isos to mp4. That is over 1600 movies :(

I just started using AirVideo on my ipad and it is nice.

I was not even aware of the Linux app. I have 2 unraid servers here.

Does this package work with iso files? All of my DVDs are in iso format.

My blu rays are in the folder structure format (BDMV, etc)

This is the wall I hit when trying to use the windows version. I do not want to convert all of my isos to mp4. That is over 1600 movies :(

To be honest I do not know.  You are probably better off asking that question on the Airvideo forums.  I used the free version of the iPhone/iPod Touch app to do the testing which limited me to the content I could view and test.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

To add more than one folder to the list you should just have to separate them with a comma AND no spaces.

I am not sure of the port to be honest, that would be something to look for over on the AirVideo forum.  You will need a dynamic dns name set up though (unless you plan to always track your IP).

Hi prostuff, thanks for this awesome package! Works great on my Pentium G6950 Clarkdale, even BluRay! :)

However, every time I reboot, the

test.properties

file gets overwritten and looks like this:

path.ffmpeg = /boot/packages/ffmpeg/ffmpeg
path.mp4creator = /usr/bin/mp4creator
path.faac = /usr/bin/faac
password = 12345
subtitles.encoding = windows-1250
subtitles.font = Verdana
folders = ${vFolders}

So I have to change this file on every reboot and stop + start AirVideo. Any ideas?

Hi prostuff, thanks for this awesome package! Works great on my Pentium G6950 Clarkdale, even BluRay! :)

However, every time I reboot, the

test.properties

file gets overwritten and looks like this:

password = 12345
subtitles.font = Verdana
folders = ${vFolders}

So I have to change this file on every reboot and stop + start AirVideo. Any ideas?

Yeah, it looks like my sed command to replace the placeholder "vFolders" is not quite working correctly.  If i get a chance later tonight i will see if i can reproduce the error.  I just got my test server set back up, so I can start doing some of this again.

password = 12345
subtitles.font = Verdana
folders = ${vFolders}

Any chance I can get the folders that you are trying to add to the list for airvideo to watch.  That will help me reproduce the error more effectively and hopefully fix it quicker.

Maybe someone can help me out... I have got everything installed, now I am just trying to get the directories setup....

on the unraid server I have created a User share called movies, I believe i setup the folder as Movies:/mnt/user/Movies in the test.properties file...

Then in that Movies share there are lots of folders of well, all my movies...

When i browse from the ipad, all I see is Movies (0)... and I click on it, and its like an empty folder?  Am I doing something wrong here, shouldn't I be able to browse through all the folders?

Any chance I can get the folders that you are trying to add to the list for airvideo to watch.  That will help me reproduce the error more effectively and hopefully fix it quicker.

Anime:/mnt/user/Anime,TV Shows:/mnt/user/TV Shows,Movies:/mnt/user/Movies

I have tried it also like this:

Anime:/mnt/user/Anime,TV:/mnt/user/TV Shows,Movies:/mnt/user/Movies

You're thinking any "illegal" characters cause the problem?

Maybe someone can help me out... I have got everything installed, now I am just trying to get the directories setup....

on the unraid server I have created a User share called movies, I believe i setup the folder as Movies:/mnt/user/Movies in the test.properties file...

Then in that Movies share there are lots of folders of well, all my movies...

When i browse from the ipad, all I see is Movies (0)... and I click on it, and its like an empty folder?  Am I doing something wrong here, shouldn't I be able to browse through all the folders?

Probably a permission issue. What owner and permissions are set for the (sub)folders?

Edit: could also be case-sensitive issue. Are you sure the share is called "Movies" and not "movies"? What happens if you

ls /mnt/user/Movies

?

OK, i think i know why this is happening now that i see your list

Anime:/mnt/user/Anime,TV Shows:/mnt/user/TV Shows,Movies:/mnt/user/Movies

With this list the error probably comes from the TV Shows:/mnt/user/TV Shows line. The space in the last TV Shows is probably what is screwing it up. I will have to do some checking and testing to see what I come up with but now that I have the list you are trying to add I can work towards reproducing the error easier.

You can try putting in TV Shows:/mnt/user/TV\ Shows for that one line and see if that fixes the problem.  It may and it may not, I will just have to do some checking.

I have tried it also like this:

Anime:/mnt/user/Anime,TV:/mnt/user/TV Shows,Movies:/mnt/user/Movies

If you could change the name of the TV Shows folder to just TV it would probably work.

Give me a few days to look into it and I will let you know what i come up with.

I cant get this working :(

I have tried the manual way and from unraid menu. I can see the server and navigate the directories but when I choose a film, it waits at Loading.

I think that it is a similar problem to another poster ie the mp3lame option is not reconised and therefore ffmpeg is not built - I cannot find an executable for it....

Any hints? (I have c compilers and java installed & using 4.5.6)

Tony

I cant get this working :(

I have tried the manual way and from unraid menu. I can see the server and navigate the directories but when I choose a film, it waits at Loading.

I think that it is a similar problem to another poster ie the mp3lame option is not reconised and therefore ffmpeg is not built - I cannot find an executable for it....

Any hints? (I have c compilers and java installed & using 4.5.6)

Tony

I am going to be out most of the day but I will do some checking on this tomorrow.  If you have a folder in your /boot/packages folder called ffmpeg and inside there there is an executable (in a sense) called ffmpeg then it built fine and the problem is somewhere else.

I will try to get something up tomorrow night; no promises though as I a pretty busy this weekend.

Have a look at the "pyTivo" thread [ http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6571.msg66634#msg66634 ] for instructions on getting a prepackaged FFmpeg up and running on unRAID. Following all the instructions in there skipping the python and pyTivo steps should be something like this:

1. Download FFmpeg, and associated libraries:

wget http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/ffmpeg/pkg/13.1/ffmpeg-0.6-i486-1alien.tgz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/a/openssl-solibs-0.9.8n-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/l/libusb-1.0.6-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/l/libtheora-1.1.1-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/l/libogg-1.1.4-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/l/alsa-lib-1.0.23-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/x/libX11-1.3.3-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/x/libXext-1.1-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/x/libXfixes-4.0.4-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/x/libxcb-1.6-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/x/libXau-1.0.5-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/x/libXdmcp-1.0.3-i486-1.txz

wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/slackware/a/glibc-solibs-2.11.1-i486-3.txz

2. Move all to /boot/packages:

mv ffmpeg-0.6-i486-1alien.tgz openssl-solibs-0.9.8n-i486-1.txz libusb-1.0.6-i486-1.txz libtheora-1.1.1-i486-1.txz libogg-1.1.4-i486-1.txz alsa-lib-1.0.23-i486-1.txz libX11-1.3.3-i486-1.txz libXext-1.1-i486-1.txz libXfixes-4.0.4-i486-1.txz libxcb-1.6-i486-1.txz libXau-1.0.5-i486-1.txz libXdmcp-1.0.3-i486-1.txz glibc-solibs-2.11.1-i486-3.txz /boot/packages

3. 3. Install and/or add the following to your go script:

installpkg /boot/packages/ffmpeg-0.6-i486-1alien.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/openssl-solibs-0.9.8n-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/libusb-1.0.6-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/libtheora-1.1.1-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/libogg-1.1.4-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/alsa-lib-1.0.23-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/libX11-1.3.3-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/libXext-1.1-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/libXfixes-4.0.4-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/libxcb-1.6-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/libXau-1.0.5-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/libXdmcp-1.0.3-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/packages/glibc-solibs-2.11.1-i486-3.txz

4. Reboot

5. Check to see that ffmpeg is installed

ffmpeg -version

You should get output like:

FFmpeg version 0.6, Copyright © 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers

built on Jun 18 2010 17:09:12 with gcc 4.4.4

configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --shlibdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/man --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-postproc --enable-avfilter --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libfaad --enable-libgsm --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libvpx --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --enable-memalign-hack --enable-pthreads --enable-x11grab --enable-bzlib --enable-zlib --enable-shared --enable-static --disable-debug --extra-cflags='-I/tmp/build/tmp-ffmpeg/ffmpegdeps/usr/include -DRUNTIME_CPUDETECT' --extra-ldflags='-L/tmp/build/tmp-ffmpeg/ffmpegdeps/usr/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lusb'

libavutil    50.15. 1 / 50.15. 1

libavcodec    52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2

libavformat  52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2

libavdevice  52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0

libavfilter    1.19. 0 /  1.19. 0

libswscale    0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0

libpostproc  51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0

FFmpeg 0.6

libavutil    50.15. 1 / 50.15. 1

libavcodec    52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2

libavformat  52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2

libavdevice  52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0