AirVideo Server for iPhone/iPad- a "how-to"

*****THIS THREAD IS OUT OF DATE*****Please see here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13441.0;topicseen

Not sure anyone here is particularly inteterested, but since I wrote up some instructions for myself (as I know I'll forget how to do it in about a weeks time) I thought I would post them here in case it helps someone in the future. I wanted an app that allowed me to view the media on my server without having to store multiple versions (eg mkv, avi etc) as well as convert to mp4 so I can add to itunes. The Windows version of this allows you too add the converted file to your itunes library which is pretty slick. You will have to purchase the iphone app from the app store but the server part is free.

The following will allow you to install and run AirVideo Server for iphone (and presumably the iPad although, being in the UK I have no way of testing. Grrrrr) directly from your unRAID box. Live conversion works, and I'm testing queued conversion as we speak.

This was tested and working on my unRAID 4.5.3 test box and so I've move over to my live box. Seems to run pretty well and even converts full bluray rips on the fly, although not flawlessly. I'm going to buy more RAM to see if that improves things and test various file types to see what limitations there are. Currently running on AMD 64 X2 4200+ with 1.5Gb RAM. Going to buy a couple more 1Gb sticks.

You will need the following packages if you don't have them already:

faac-1.26-i486-1gds

faad2-2.6.1-i486-2gds

git-core-0.99.6-i486-1mik

lame-3.98.2-i486-1kjz

mpeg4ip-1.5.0.1-i486-1ahl

xvidcore-1.2.1-i486-1sl

I've uploaded the required files here (except the ffmpeg file):

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f429ec0b4647a4abd0d290dca69ceb5c17976291ba11d62ed9ecd7d091ba63d2

no idea if this hosting site is any good - it was the first one on the google search!!

*** You will also need JRE. Install from the unmenu package manager or grab from here:***

http://www.slackware.org.il/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/l/jre-6u11-i586-1.tgz

If not already installed save them all to the same directory, ensuring they end with ".tgz" and then:

cd /boot/airvideo/packages (or whatever directory you are using)
installpkg *.tgz

Grab the following x264 file (included in the file I've uploaded):

x264_0.svn20100115.orig.tar.tgz

Rather than install the .tgz file, extract it to:

/boot/airvideo/packages/x264

You may require the following before compiling:

wget http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.1/development/yasm/0.7.2/yasm-0.7.2-i486-1sl.tgz
wget http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.1/development/jam/2.5/jam-2.5-i486-2gal.tgz

installpkg yasm-0.7.2-i486-1sl.tgz
installpkg jam-2.5-i486-2gal.tgz

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

It may be possible to simply install straight from the package but his is the method I used on my final attempt at resolving some issues I was having. You may want to try the installpkg option first.

Next, grab version 2.2.5 the custom ffmpeg build from the AirVideo site here:

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/licenses.html

This adds the -conversion-id field that was missing from my original attempt.

Extract to /boot/airvideo/packages/ffmpeg and from there, do:

/boot/airvideo/packages/ffmpeg
./configure.orig.fixed --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad 
--enable-ibmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-decoder=aac 
make
make install

IMPORTANT - note I have said run "./configure.orig.fixed" not "./configure". I lost a couple of days to this part. I was running ./configure and getting a libx264 error and assumed it was something to do with the x264 install. It wasn't until I went to check out the ffmpeg configuration option that I noticed there was another 'fixed' config file. Running that solved the problem.

Grab the linux version of the AirVideo program from here:

http://inmethod.com/air-video/download/linux/alpha2/AirVideoServerLinux.jar

and save to /boot/airvideo

Grab the "test.properties" file from here, save to /boot/airvideo and modify the contents as necessary (to add a password if required, and modify the path to your shares).

http://inmethod.com/air-video/download/linux/alpha1/test.properties

Now you're set to run it:

cd /boot/airvideo
bash air-video-server.sh test.properties

Open the app on your iPhone, add your server by IP address and you're done.

I added the following to my go script to install automatically on boot:

# Start AirVideo
sleep 30
cd /boot/airvideo/packages
installpkg *.tgz
sleep 30
cd /boot/airvideo
bash air-video-server.sh test.properties

Have fun.

p.s. if I've screwed anything up here I'll modify to correct.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batfink, awesome work!  What type of CPU are you using?  How stressed is your system when you are running AirVideo?

I currently have an Intel E2220 dual core Pentium 2.4GHz in my unRAID setup. Do you think it's capable of running AirVideo reliably?

Thanks!

Thanks.

My CPU is mentioned above. Not sure how these AMD/Intel chips compare but assume similar in spec? Having only just got this working I've not yet had time to do much testing past "does it seem to be working". All I know at this point is that my particular setup seems to handle anything up to 720p ok and BluRay rips not so ok. I haven't had time to test any 1080p mkvs, but will do so once the extra RAM I've ordered turns up (due in tomorrow). Queued conversion seems to be working, although I've only glanced at the converted files to see if they play so I've not tested lip sync etc. I have iStat installed which will make it easier to see how stressed things are getting. I'll post my finding over the weekend. Much, I assume, will depend upon what you are trying to transcode and whether the box is serving up anything else at the same time.

It's a relief to get this working.... it was doing my head in !!  (My wife was getting a bit fed up with my obsessive behaviour as well !)

Once I get a couple RMA'ed drives back and have my server up properly, I plan on giving this a shot.  I use AirVideo on a Mac Mini 2GHz Core 2 Duo, and although I have never tried 1080p with it, the Mini tends to do fine with everything else.  Hopefully, my E6500 2.93GHz Pentium Dual-Core in the unraid server will do well.

Thank you.  I look forward to hear more of your experiences.

Some very quick impressions as my extra 2Gig of RAM arrived (now 3Gig total), although I'm not sure it's made any difference as the app is pretty much CPU intensive (it seems to be pretty maxed out)......

I've been able to stream everything from SD all the way up to full BluRay rips and stream separate 2 SD videos at the same time (didn't try HD as I'm on the laptop on wifi and that doesn't work anyway!!!).

When streaming anything over 720p (so, 1080p mkvs and full bluray) the movie starts, stops and restarts and then runs smoothly. It seems like it's re-assessing the resources available. You can set the bandwidth in the iPhone settings so seems plausible.. Tested with Air Force One and Quantum of Solace blurays.

More testing at the weekend.

If I get a chance sometime in the next couple days i will try and create an unmenu package manager package for this add-on.

I think I should be able to figure it out, but i don't have a lot of free time right now.  Will post back here if/when i get something up and running.

Thanks prostuff  ;D

If I get a chance sometime in the next couple days i will try and create an unmenu package manager package for this add-on.

I think I should be able to figure it out, but i don't have a lot of free time right now.  Will post back here if/when i get something up and running.

That would be great!  Maybe by the time my RMA'ed drives are back, this will be ready.

thanks for the link. I am getting a C compiler error "No working C compiler found". I have gcc installed, is some other package missing?

Roland

I failed to mention that I used unmenu to install the necessary compilers (it didn't cross my mind as they were already installed from some previous tinkering). i'll update my post to reflect that. Is that what you have done? If not, suggest you give that a go - I'm not techie enough to have any other ideas!

;-)

batfink,

Nice, I didn't know there's a linux version of AirVideo. I'll definitely give this a try. I guess it's a good time to use my backup Pro license usb stick to build a test box since I am not good with linux.

You mentioned that we will need the following packages installed. Is there a central location that I can download them or I have to google each of them.

faac-1.26-i486-1gds

faad2-2.6.1-i486-2gds

lame-3.98.2-i486-1kjz

xvidcore-1.2.1-i486-1sl

Since I am not familiar with linux, does the following steps make senses?

Prerequisite:

unRaid 4.5.3

Install unMenu 1.3

> cd /boot

> mkdir airvideo

> cd airvideo

> mkdir packages

> cd packages

Find all the packages and put them in /boot/airvideo/packages

faac-1.26-i486-1gds

faad2-2.6.1-i486-2gds

lame-3.98.2-i486-1kjz

xvidcore-1.2.1-i486-1sl

> installpgk *.tgz

> cd /boot/airvideo/packages

> mkdir x264

> cd x264

Grab the x264 file from

https://launchpad.net/~stemp/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/941488/+listing-archive-extra

and put it here.

> ./configure --prefix=/usr

> make

> make install

> cd /boot/airvideo/packages

> mkdir ffmpeg

> cd ffmpeg

Grab version 2.2.5 the custom ffmpeg build from

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/licenses.html

and put it here.

> ./configure.orig.fixed --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad

--enable-ibmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-decoder=aac

> make

> make install

> cd /boot/airvideo

Grab the linux version of the AirVideo program from

http://inmethod.com/air-video/download/linux/alpha2/AirVideoServerLinux.jar

and put it here.

Grab the "test.properties" file and modify the contents as necessary (to add a password if required, and modify the path to your shares).

http://inmethod.com/air-video/download/linux/alpha1/test.properties

and put it here.

To start AirVideo

> bash air-video-server.sh test.properties

Is there a stop command?

thanks,

~joy

You mentioned that we will need the following packages installed. Is there a central location that I can download them or I have to google each of them.

I've uploaded the files and added a link - see my original post. Not sure if the host is any good but give it a go.

Prerequisite:

unRaid 4.5.3

Install unMenu 1.3

> cd /boot

> mkdir airvideo

> cd airvideo

> mkdir packages

> cd packages

Yes, but you will also need to install the """C" compiler & development tools" via the unmenu script page (my mistake for not mentioning this in my original post - now amended)

Yes to everything else.

Stop command? I don't have a clue but unless you add the commands to your go script as I have it won't restart on reboot anyway. Don't think it has much of a drain on resources when it's not running.

I've uploaded the files and added a link - see my original post. Not sure if the host is any good but give it a go.

Prerequisite:

unRaid 4.5.3

Install unMenu 1.3

> cd /boot

> mkdir airvideo

> cd airvideo

> mkdir packages

> cd packages

Yes, but you will also need to install the """C" compiler & development tools" via the unmenu script page (my mistake for not mentioning this in my original post - now amended)

Yes to everything else.

Stop command? I don't have a clue but unless you add the commands to your go script as I have it won't restart on reboot anyway. Don't think it has much of a drain on resources when it's not running.

If you are opening files on any of your data disks you will not be able to cleanly stop the server until you first stop the processes keeping the disks busy.

If you are opening files on any of your data disks you will not be able to cleanly stop the server until you first stop the processes keeping the disks busy.

Perhaps I misunderstood jouyang's question. I believe that unless you are actually browsing via the iPhone app there is no process running on unraid and therefore nothing (airvideo related) to prevent powerdown..... I think....... (said the newb)    ;D

Perhaps I misunderstood jouyang's question. I believe that unless you are actually browsing via the iPhone app there is no process running on unraid and therefore nothing (airvideo related) to prevent powerdown..... I think....... (said the newb)    ;D

There is a process running on the unRAID server, otherwise there would be no way to get statistics from it.

That process may open files and keep disks busy, or it might not.  depending on what it does will determine if it must first be stopped.  If you are playing a music file, you are certainly reading from a file.  If you have a file open for reading, you will not be able to stop unRAID cleanly.

Joe L.

thank you. :-)

As for the stop command, if you don't stop or kill the process, unRaid can't be stopped. Then you will see the format button showing up with all of your drives showing unformatted except the busy drive.

thanks,

~joy

thank you. :-)

As for the stop command, if you don't stop or kill the process, unRaid can't be stopped. Then you will see the format button showing up with all of your drives showing unformatted except the busy drive.

thanks,

~joy

On older versions of unRAId you'll see the "Format" button and allt he disks that could be un-mounted will show as un-formatted.

On newer versions of unRAID you'll just see un-mounting on the disk that is still busy.

On older versions of unRAId you'll see the "Format" button and allt he disks that could be un-mounted will show as un-formatted.

On newer versions of unRAID you'll just see un-mounting on the disk that is still busy.

Cool. One more good reason for me to upgrade to 4.5.3 sooner then later.

Cool. One more good reason for me to upgrade to 4.5.3 sooner then later.

Yes, but 4.5.3 has a different bug where if the drives do not mount quickly enough they'll show as un-formatted (because they did not mount) when you first boot the array.  You just need to stop and re-start the array to get everything in sync, but the "format" button is present and several users have accidentally pressed it, re-formatting all their drives...

Either way, there is a bug to be aware of.

Joe L.