Strange errors from different builds & drives.

I am hoping someone can help me with the following issues I have been experiencing since the end of last year.

My build specs are at the end of this post:

Before I found UnRAID, I used Freenas twice and Xpenology once, but all builds at different times reported I/O errors on different drives.

Since trying UnRAID (Which so far is my favourite by a mile), I added a couple of drives and everything worked fine but when I added a few more as unassigned and starting running Preclear (3 cycles) some drives preclear just stopped while others failed and other passed (All drives show no Smart errors). I tried this while the array is running and suddenly 1-2 array drives failed badly.

I restarted the server and the array drives ran fine with only a couple of small errors but Smart reports were fine and as soon as I run Preclear again the same issues appeared.

It seems to me that when I have a few drives working at the same time, things start to fail which I can now only assume in not the drives but possibly a controller issue. If this is the case, I am now confused as to how to diagnose it further.

I have only installed a few of my total amount of drives so far and do not want to copy all of my data back until I get this sorted.

Any help would be mostly appreciated.

Product Code

Product Name

tiny_Default.jpg

HX316C9SRK2/16

16gb Ddr3-1600mhz Non-ecc Cl9

tiny_5191_1.JPG

SC-4324

4U Server Case w/ 24x 3.5" Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays, 6Gb/s MiniSAS

tiny_124612_1.JPG

SC-ATX600

600W ATX PS/2 SERVER GRADE PSU

tiny_116015_1.JPG

B85M-G

Asus B85m-g Lga1150 Matx USB 3.0 32gb Ddr3 6 X Sata 6gb

tiny_143158_1.JPG

BX80646I54460

Intel 4th Generation Core i5 (4460) 3.2GHz Quad Core Processor 6MB L3 Cache (Boxed)

tiny_580_1.JPG

TG-3468

TP-Link TG-3468 10/100/1000Mbps PCIe Gigabit Network Adaptor

tiny_202973_1.JPG

CK23601H0C01

Chenbro CK23601 - 36 Port SAS Expander

tiny_69334_1.JPG

LSI00190

LSI 9211-4i SAS/SATA RAID - 4-port

tiny_128065_1.JPG

LSI00256

CBL-SFF8087SB-06M SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 0.6M

48 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

That PSU is multi-rail, which means not all of the rated capacity is available for the hard drives, much is reserved for the mainboard.

Given your symptoms of issues as you add drives, I'd be inclined to replace it with a single rail model.

Thanks for the quick reply, PSU never came to my mind as the issue. 

Firstly how can you tell it is multi-rail and also Just doing some quick googling on power requirement, when my server was running at full capacity, it had 12 x WD RED 6TB drives. Should I be running a larger PSU and if so are there any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

2 hours ago, Inx192 said:

Firstly how can you tell it is multi-rail

With a quick google of the specs, or look at the label on the side

If you see 12v1, 12v2, etc then its multirail

Any multirail supply is going to max at ~18A per rail.  Each drive takes worst case ~2A startup current.  Running 12 Drives, you're looking at 24A on a line that can only take 18A.  Not to mention any losses incurred by splitters, etc.

When sizing a PS for computers that have many hard drives, total wattage is the secondary consideration.  Amps per rail (and how the rails are divvied up) are far more important.  IE:  Many 1000Watt power supplies are quad rail, and would have the exact same issue.  Your best bet is always a single rail supply that can supply the current required.