Sanity checking my proposed build

Hi guys,

Could you please sanity check my proposed build please? I have bought the CPU's, but i just want to check the rest of the components!

• CPU - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX
  • Motherboard - Supermicro X9DRL-iF
  • Controller - AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 with SFF 8087 Cable/s
  • Drive Backplane -StarTech 4 Bay Aluminium Hot Swap
  • ECC RAM - HMT31GR7CFR4C-PB

I already have 4 x 3TB WD RED drives that i will use. I am tempted to add an SSD for a cache pool - but i guess i can do this at a later date if required.

I already have a PSU for 2 x 8pin CPU power.

I am struggling on CPU coolers and a case. It looks like i can use a standard 2011 cooler and a narrow one is not required for this build? The case i am ideally looking for a tower to load up with the drive caddies. I dont really want a monster case though (i think the antec 1200 could be too massive). I already have a CM 690 III which i am tempted to use, but i think i would like to take advantage of the drive caddies.

What do people use for backups? I love veeam but not compatible with KVM.

Thanks all.

Hi -

Since you are putting in a couple of monster CPUs, I assume you are either planning to do lots of Plex transcoding or do some serious VMing.  In either case, especially with VMs, the SAS2LP is no longer the preferred SATA controller.  Get something LSI based like an IBM M1015, Dell PERC H310, or LSI SAS9201-8i HBA (all on eBay, and the first two would need to be flashed).  Curiously, that motherboard doesn't have any x16 slots - were you planning any high end video cards?

• Upvote 1

Hi tdallen.

The only reason for the CPU's is that they were ridiculously cheap - cheaper than an i3. I basically took my inspiration from this thread -

The reason i changed the motherboard was simply cost, although i think i can now get hold of the Supermicro X9DR3-F motherboard now. Why is that supermicro controller not preferred anymore? I see the LSI is end of life and not currently available on ebay (UK). What issues would i run into with the SAS2LP?

I actually didnt really notice the lack of x16 lane - so thank you for that. I think i will go for the X9DR3-F board - i just need to find a case (and coolers) to fit it!!

Just do a quick search here on the forums on "Marvell", which is the chipset on the Supermicro cards.  You won't like the results.  That said, the SASLP and SAS2LP were the preferred controllers for a long time and a lot of people are still using them successfully - but as you can see from the search results, there are good reasons not to use them in a new build if you have a better alternative.

• Upvote 1
Ideally you want something with an LSI chipset.  Unfortunately availability is a local thing and I can't speak for the UK.  We have a number of UK forum members, though, who could help.  Perhaps [mention=62369]HellDiverUK[/mention] can recommend a good approach for SATA controllers in the UK... 

Thank you for your help. I'll look around for LSI chipset controllers.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Just now, johnnie.black said:

You can find 9201-8i or 9211-8i considerably cheaper, but they are EOL and the 9211-8i may require flashing.

I would rather have something that is not EOL as if it does pop i should be able to replace it easier. I don't mind flashing cards if need be - as long as no hardware mods are required for it!!

Just now, johnnie.black said:

I think the 9210 is not EOL, it will need flashing if it comes in IR mode, it can work in IR or IT (RAID or no RAID), it's very easy to flash, like a bios update.

Ah OK - so any that come supporting RAID (or set to RAID) need flashing? Where are the firmwares for these - are they custom or from the manufacturer?

Would you rather have one that doesnt require flashing, or no real preference?

Thank you for your perseverance with me!!

4 minutes ago, showstopper said:

Ah OK - so any that come supporting RAID (or set to RAID) need flashing? Where are the firmwares for these - are they custom or from the manufacturer?

They are available on LSI's site, now Broadcom.

5 minutes ago, showstopper said:

Would you rather have one that doesnt require flashing, or no real preference?

I have various models, some need flashing, it's very easy like I said, no real preference.

• Upvote 1

Not sure the concern with EOL. eBay is a good option for HBAs. Although I'd never buy a used drive or even motherboard, used HBAs have been remarkably defect-free. I don't remember hearing of anyone getting one that didn't work reliably.

My preferred cards right now are the LSI SAS9201 series. No flash required. They are available in -8i (8 internal drives), -16i (16 internal drives), and -16e (16 external drives) flavors (about $50, $180, $50 price points respectively). These are US eBay prices and YMMV based on geography.

The LSI 9207-8i that @johnnie.black mentioned would be a good card especially if you're looking to run a bunch of SSDs or use it with a multiplier card, but it is overkill for spinners. Not sure why it doesn't come in a -16i, or even more versions. With PCIe 3.0 and x8, it could handle 32 drives in parallel, each at over 200 MB/sec. But if it can be had for good price, would be a nice option and not EOL. (But I'd still look at the used options as this is a good place to economize).

Recommend looking at the CSE-M35T-1B hot-swap cages.

• Upvote 1
Not sure the concern with EOL. eBay is a good option for HBAs. Although I'd never buy a used drive or even motherboard, used HBAs have been remarkably defect-free. I don't remember hearing of anyone getting one that didn't work reliably.

My preferred cards right now are the LSI SAS9201 series. No flash required. They are available in -8i (8 internal drives), -16i (16 internal drives), and -16e (16 external drives) flavors (about $50, $180, $50 price points respectively). These are US eBay prices and YMMV based on geography.

The LSI 9207-8i that [mention=353]johnnie.black[/mention] mentioned would be a good card especially if you're looking to run a bunch of SSDs or use it with a multiplier card, but it is overkill for spinners. Not sure why it doesn't come in a -16i, or even more versions. With PCIe 3.0 and x8, it could handle 32 drives in parallel, each at over 200 MB/sec. But if it can be had for good price, would be a nice option and not EOL. (But I'd still look at the used options as this is a good place to economize).

Recommend looking at the CSE-M35T-1B hot-swap cages.

The main issue i have with eol is simply supply. The US have a much larger second hamd market than the UK. I am looking at a few cards now!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, showstopper said:

I may actually look at getting the Perc H310. There are plenty of these around and they look fairly straight forward to flash.

Or is this a bad idea?!

Crossflashing to LSI IT can be more complicated than just flashing to IT, also depends on the hardware used, but there's a guide on the forum and most users have no issues.

• Upvote 1