Battle for the net- fight for net neutrality

1 minute ago, hernandito said:

But to nationalize (as in making it a utility) for something private companies invested in

Mostly agree with your premise, but just because private companies are involved doesn't mean total deregulation is in order. Those private companies take advantage of a public good (road right of way or radio spectrum) to deliver their product. It's in everyone's best interest to not allow abuse of a public good for private benefit. Notice I said abuse, not use.

Economies of scale, barriers to market entry, monopolistic tendencies, carving up of territories to the detriment of the public good, these are just some of the complications that make a pure free market difficult to manage when you are talking about internet connections.

Would you be in favor of allowing power companies to turn off service if a particular feed line to a remote neighborhood is going cost more to maintain than they could ever recoup by the customers connected to it? Is grid connection a "right"?

Is internet access a "right"? Is it ok for an ISP to charge extra for certain customers based on service level and infrastructure necessary to serve them?

The telco's were regulated by the government to provide voice lines at comparable prices to remote locations because telephone service was deemed necessary for the public good. Does internet take that role now?

I'm trying to ask these questions in a way that provokes thought on both sides, but I'm aware my opinions shade the wording. Please don't take offense.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, hernandito said:

I

No offense taken. It seems lately that political discourse is elevated to quickly questioning the morality and integrity of the other person. In reality, we all fall in the range of rgb 180 to 200. 99.8% of all of us are good people. Political differences should not rise to the level British football club hooliganism. 

I love good political talk, but sadly it rarely ends without risen blood pressures. But I blame the media for fanning these flames of intolerance towards each other.

Let us all rise and be guided by our deeply rooted moral compasses... all together now:

"kumba ya my lord, Kamba ya...."

BTW most of this post is very tongue in cheek.

Oh please lets not get involved with the financial meltdown market. I have plenty of first hand experience with that having worked for a major financial institution before, during, and after the meltdown. There isnt enough time to list all that going on that was wrong before, during, and after.

No ok, let's not talk about the financial crisis and what caused it. But........

After that, we saw Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin etc. 

And for it to work on a decentralised network the internet backbone as a whole must treat all packets and traffic equally.

I question if net neutrality is removed then we may see these emerging technologies like this being squashed.

• Upvote 1