How to join a domain when the Windows server is a VM

Hi guys. I am trying to connect my Unraid Pro 6.2.4 box to my Windows Server 2016 Standard box so that I can control file permissions etc. I have been able to go to settings->SMB Shares and set it to enabled (domain) but the issue I have is that the Windows Server is a VM in the UnRAID box and when I try to connect (login) to the domain all of the VM's are shut down, thus turning off the DC and making it inaccessible and unable to login to.

Is there any way to have UnRAID login to a domain without shutting down the VM's or some other bypass??

I had this same issue.  I got a raspberry pi zero and used that as my secondary domain controller.  Then once I connect to the domain and the VM starts the primary comes up and it seems ok.  Rebooting unraid its a toss up if it remember the domain connection or not.  PITA but its all I could do to get it working.  Maybe there are some better ideas out there.

Edited by RAINMAN
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, RAINMAN said:

I had this same issue.  I got a raspberry pi zero and used that as my secondary domain controller.  Then once I connect to the domain and the VM starts the primary comes up and it seems ok.  Rebooting unraid its a toss up if it remember the domain connection or not.  PITA but its all I could do to get it working.  Maybe there are some better ideas out there.

How did you go about doing that? What OS did you use?

14 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Have you tried this on the 6.4 RC series? The bootup/startup order may have been changed in 6.4 (or 6.3.x) that might help.

I have not yet. I updated to 6.3 stable, but then had to leave right after. I will attempt when O get back. I would prefer not to use a beta OS on this system

On 7/15/2017 at 1:25 AM, Justin_ said:

How did you go about doing that? What OS did you use?

I honestly don't remember the details.  It was a lot of mucking about.  If you lookup how to use linux as a domain controller some tutorials should pop up.  Honestly, it was a huge PITA and I don't recommend it.  If 6.4 of unraid allows starting VMs before the array that would be a far better option.

• Upvote 1