backup plugin

Hi! I am running unraid v6 and want to backup my main personal data to 1 drive mounted externally using unassigned devices. This drive will be unplugged after backup is done. My main data is located in 1 of the array drives only.

Is there any plugin I can use to do this backup and that allows (after the initial backup) to perform incremental backups only?

Rgds

Thank you for posting nearly the exact post I was about to put up.  

Crash Plan is a docker that would work except that I want the drive and files to be read if plugged into another computer.  If you are OK with an encrypted true backup file and having to get dockers up and running (if you don't already), then check out Crash Plan.

I think the actual function I'm looking for is something that "sync's" files between two locations, well in my case about 3 server locations to a single external drive mounted by Un.Devices.  I have a program called AllWay Sync that runs on windows and I can manually tell it to scan for changes and update the backup location, but I'm looking for something that will perform that function on unRAID and run nightly if not be a real time update.  I think I'd prefer the nightly run so it stays spun down during the day.

So if anyone knows of such an animal please let me know.  

Sorry for tagging onto your thread, but I saw it here in plugin's and thought I'd mention it.  I think what I need is really a docker and will be leaving a message over there.  

Take a look at Crash Plan and see if it works for you.

Hi! I am running unraid v6 and want to backup my main personal data to 1 drive mounted externally using unassigned devices. This drive will be unplugged after backup is done. My main data is located in 1 of the array drives only.
Is there any plugin I can use to do this backup and that allows (after the initial backup) to perform incremental backups only?
Rgds

You can use rsync together with the user scripts plugin.

Hi,

I spent some time reading in this forum regarding rsync. Looks it is one option. Another option is running "SyncBack (2BrightSparks)" from a windows vm. I already own a license of SyncBack.

I still have some questions:

-is the performance of both options the same?

-if I format the disk in NTFS (to be able to connect the disk to several windows machines) does it perform slower than it being formatted as XFS?

-if I have a disk mounted using UD (it should be the destination of my backup) and I run SyncBack from my vm, do I have to worry about the copy to/from_ share-disk bug?

Rgds.

Edited by luca2
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to getting RSync up and running this weekend.  It appears that all is working fine now.  

On 7/15/2017 at 0:35 PM, luca2 said:

-if I format the disk in NTFS (to be able to connect the disk to several windows machines) does it perform slower than it being formatted as XFS?

My NTFS share in unassigned devices is running fine.  This was a 1st copy over and I thought it went pretty fast.  I didn't attempt to crunch a write speed, and with a command line interface you don't get much in the way of feedback unless it doesn't work.  

Files all there, right now it's set to sync once day.  No complaints as of yet.  

• 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, PsYCoR said:

How to copy with rsync to UD ?

Thx

See the unassigned device plugin support thread.  Included are a couple of sample backup scripts that use rsync to automatically backup a share to a UD USB drive when it is plugged in.  I have modified it to copy three of my shares.  You could alter it to work by disk shares as well if you wished.