Just bought Ryzen 1700

So I just bought the Ryzen 1700 because of the prime day. I was wondering if someone could point me to a good motherboard. I need at least 6 sata ports but I guess I could buy a sata card if needed. I just want a board that will require the least amount of work.

Right now all I run is like 10 dockers and 2 ubuntu VMs then 1 windows 7 vm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, skyline7349 said:

Yea it was 269 for the 1700 3.7ghz but I guess it's still 269$ damn ha. Maybe it's more then a prime day sale because it's the lowest it's been

It is a good price, best price right now in fact.  Even beats Microcenter by $10 which usually always has the best price on CPUs.

It is a good price, best price right now in fact.  Even beats Microcenter by $10 which usually always has the best price on CPUs.

I just bought the asus 370 pro and now I'm figuring out what ram I need and how much. I'm thinking 2 16gb but wondering if it's smarter to do 4 8gb. Anyone have advice?

I got my gear at Microcenter as well. Even though it was $10 higher for the CPU, the additional $50 bundle made it cheaper. I also snagged my 500GB 960 Evo for $139 while I was there. There was a price mistake which I took full advantage of!

I just bought the asus 370 pro and now I'm figuring out what ram I need and how much. I'm thinking 2 16gb but wondering if it's smarter to do 4 8gb. Anyone have advice?

My opinion on that I get the bigger sticks. I bought 2x8 but if your planning on bumping that to 64GB down the road it would be more cost effective to buy 2x16 and just add two more sticks later vs having to buy 4 new sticks later.

8 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

In the past, AMD builds had difficulties in handling 4 memory slots at once.

Maybe things have changed, maybe not...

I'm the sort of OCD that likes to fill all memory slots.  My last build was built using the ASUS M3A78-T MB, AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3GHz CPU, and 4 x 4GB Mushkin 991762 DDR2 800 (16GB) memory ... ran unRAID (both 5.x and 6.x) from 2012-2017 with zero problems related to memory.

My recently upgraded build uses the ASUS Prime X370-PRO MB, AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6GHz CPU, and 4 x 16GB Crucial CT16G4DFD8213 DDR4 2133 (64GB) memory ... been running my main server since late March.  No problems related to memory that I have encountered.

Do you remember what sorts of "difficulties" were encountered with older AMD builds?

- Bill

So i got the ryzen setup. I disabled the C state thing jsut because i read about doing it. I have had any issues yet except the Temperature plugin doesnt work :(

The server is deff snappier and wow does it use alot less power. I was using like 150W when idling now im using  86W on idle. So this will save me in long run for sure.

Is there anything i need to do? i updated the bios, Im running Unraid 6.3.5 but someone told me i would need to use RC version of 6.4 but i dont see a need yet unless its under the hood stuff. is there anything else i need to setup? im going to probably read that long ass thread again.

On 7/19/2017 at 0:09 PM, skyline7349 said:

So i got the ryzen setup. I disabled the C state thing jsut because i read about doing it. I have had any issues yet except the Temperature plugin doesnt work :(

The server is deff snappier and wow does it use alot less power. I was using like 150W when idling now im using  86W on idle. So this will save me in long run for sure.

Is there anything i need to do? i updated the bios, Im running Unraid 6.3.5 but someone told me i would need to use RC version of 6.4 but i dont see a need yet unless its under the hood stuff. is there anything else i need to setup? im going to probably read that long ass thread again.

Dunno if/when things are changing regarding the Temperature plugin, however you can use the interim fix, documented here:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/55150-anybody-planning-a-ryzen-build/?page=19#comment-563450

Let me know how it goes and what temperatures you're seeing on your rig.

- Bill

4 hours ago, ufopinball said:

Dunno if/when things are changing regarding the Temperature plugin, however you can use the interim fix, documented here:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/55150-anybody-planning-a-ryzen-build/?page=19#comment-563450

Let me know how it goes and what temperatures you're seeing on your rig.

- Bill

Thank you for this. I ran that command then typed in IT87 and nows its showing:

Temps.PNG.bbd756834d0f3f581f6f00188b1daf98.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
Thx form sharing! Any more comparison in regards to gaming performance? What GPU?

Enviado desde mi NX569J mediante Tapatalk

That I can't speak too sorry. I have a desktop for gaming. I tried doing gpu passthrough on RC6 but it didn't work and that's about all the effort I gave it.