SMBD: no process found errors

My unRaid server has been down for 6 weeks as it, along with all my other household goods, were shipped from Mexico (where we lived for the past three years) to the U.S.

The shipment arrived today and I put the disks back in the server, plugged in the thumb drive and it booted right up. I updated to 6.3.5, updated all plugins and dockers, started the array and...no shares appear in Windows and the server does not appear in the Network.  An "smbd: no process found" message appears every few minutes on the console.

Searching the forums reveals little as most references to this issue are more than two-years old and are related to older OS versions. None of the suggested solutions seem to work.

I tried chkdisk on the flash drive and backing up, reformatting and copying files back to flash drive; still have the error and no shares are visible.

I am also seeing a "192.168.1.0/24 dev br0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.10 linkdown" error on the console.  Does not appear to affect network connectivity but, I do not recall seeing it before.

Diagnostics attached.

medianas-diagnostics-20170706-2019.zip

Edited by Hoopster
corrected misspellings

OK, clearly samba (smbd - [samba daemon] process not foundi) is not working properly on the server.  From the Dynamix GUI I can browse to disks and shares and access files.  Everything appears to be there.  I can stream files via Plex. I cannot access the sever by UNC path nor can I map a drive to any share.

Is there a way to start samba manually as a test?  Should I reinstall unRaid manually?

Edited by Hoopster

I was running version 6.3.4 prior to the upgrade to 6.3.5

I have not removed or disabled any plugins.  I did update all plugins along with the unRaid OS update.  I have the usual CA and Dynamix plugins installed plus Unassigned Devices, Preclear Disks, Fix Common Problems and Nerd Tools.  Should I remove them all to see if one of them is causing a problem?  I had no problems with any of them before but, maybe a recent update is causing issues.

33 minutes ago, Squid said:

Just for giggles, try toggling Enable Samba under Settings (SMB), apply and see if things change.  After that, try uninstalling Nerd Pack and rebooting.  If that fixes, remove it, reboot, reinstall

Stopped array, toggled SMB off and back on, started array.  No change.  smbd: no process found errors persist on console.

The remove button on all plugins is greyed out and not active.  I did go into the Nerd Pack plugin and toggled everything off and rebooted. Also no change.

I have noticed that every click on a tab in the GUI (main, dockers, plugins, settings, etc.) results in the smbd error appearing on the console.

When I shut down or reboot the server, the smbd: no process found appears when I assume it is trying to stop Samba and finds there is no smb process running.

55 minutes ago, Squid said:

Just for giggles, try toggling Enable Samba under Settings (SMB), apply and see if things change.  After that, try uninstalling Nerd Pack and rebooting.  If that fixes, remove it, reboot, reinstall

Removed Nerd Pack with Chrome and rebooted.  No change. smbd: no process found errors persist.

9 minutes ago, limetech said:

On the console you can type:

samba start

And see what it outputs.

Also you can type:

testparm

And see if it complains about bad smb.conf settings.

In /etc/samba you should see these files:

smb.conf

smb-names.conf

smb-shares.conf

lmhosts

samba start outputs the following:

Starting Samba: /usr/sbin/nmbd -D

/usr/sbin/smdb -D

/usr/sbin/winbindd -D

If I click any where in the GUI the smbd error still appear on console

testparm outputs the following:

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf

WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated

WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated

WARNING: The "syslog only" option is deprecated

... then follows several Processing section lines that have to do with shares.

All of the files listed in your post are in /etc/samba

smb.conf

smb-names.conf

smb-shares.conf

lmhosts

unassigned -shares

Try this: with array Started, close all browser windows open to your server - I want to make sure no javascript polling is accessing the server.

Next, restart samba:

samba restart

Then see if your shares appear from another PC such as a windows PC.  I do notice you have some shares marked hidden, of course those won't show up but they should be accessible.

41 minutes ago, limetech said:

Try this: with array Started, close all browser windows open to your server - I want to make sure no javascript polling is accessing the server.

Next, restart samba:

samba restart

Then see if your shares appear from another PC such as a windows PC.  I do notice you have some shares marked hidden, of course those won't show up but they should be accessible.

Closed all browser windows (Firefox and Chrome) accessing the server.

Restarted samba

Fired up my laptop and without opening a browser window, I tried to map a drive to several shares.  No dice.  The unRaid server refuses to show up in WIndows network from any machine; with or without a browser window to server open.

I  notice you have an smb-extra.conf file on the flash with this line in it:

include = /etc/samba/unassigned-shares/Crucial_SSD.conf

Maybe get rid of that?

And also you are using an unassigned disk for VM storage it appears.  This config is outside the scope of what I can support you with.

23 minutes ago, limetech said:

I  notice you have an smb-extra.conf file on the flash with this line in it:

include = /etc/samba/unassigned-shares/Crucial_SSD.conf

Maybe get rid of that?

And also you are using an unassigned disk for VM storage it appears.  This config is outside the scope of what I can support you with.

OK, I'll remove the line from the smb-extra.conf file and try again.

The thing that baffles me is that this was all working as currently configured six weeks ago before everything was packed up in Mexico and shipped home to the U.S.  I have changed nothing other than updated the unRaid OS to 6.3.5 (from 6.3.4) and updating all plugins.

I have never seen samba fail to start before under any circumstances and have no idea what changed. All I did was put the disks back in the server, plug in the flash drive and do the indicated updates.

Edited by Hoopster
2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I have never seen samba fail to start before under any circumstances and have no idea what changed.

lol me either, this is very baffiling issue.  One thing from your latest syslog is this:

PANIC (pid 24433): could not generate a machine SID

Maybe try this:

samba stop

rm /boot/config/secrets.tdb

samba start

9 minutes ago, limetech said:

lol me either, this is very baffiling issue.  One thing from your latest syslog is this:

PANIC (pid 24433): could not generate a machine SID

Maybe try this:

samba stop

rm /boot/config/secrets.tdb

samba start

No joy.  What's next? Clean install on flash drive and start over with dockers, plugins and VMs?

16 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Clean install on flash drive and start over

A last resort, but less drastic to try: restore normal boot and then go a delete all the plugins via the Plugins page, and then reboot.  You can always add them back later.  Even in 'safemode' there are residual cron entries for some plugins, not sure why.

8 hours ago, limetech said:

A last resort, but less drastic to try: restore normal boot and then go a delete all the plugins via the Plugins page, and then reboot.  You can always add them back later.  Even in 'safemode' there are residual cron entries for some plugins, not sure why.

I have removed all plugins and renamed the /extra folder as suggested by johnnie.black (/extra only contained ncurses).

No change.  Samba still will not start and smbd: no process found error appears right after reboot completes and every time I click a tab in the GUI.

This makes no sense.  It's like my system has all of a sudden decided that Samba is devil code and refuses to run it.  I don't know that I have any other option other than a clean install preserving just shares and starting over until something I install causes the problem again. 

I am baffled.  Maybe I'll try a roll back to previous version (6.3.4) just to eliminate something in the upgrade that did not agree with my system configuration.  Everything was working well under 6.3.4 before I packed the server up for shipment.

Hmmm.  Just noticed something interesting.  Dynamix Cache Directories will not uninstall.  It says it does, but when I reboot, it is still there in plugins.  I remove it again, it disappears from plugins, but on reboot it is back...repeat...repeat.  It does not appear to uninstall.

Any possibility it is causing samba problems? 

Edited by Hoopster