Upgrade Pricing

Was just looking at the Unraid pricing since its been so long since I payed and noticed the price difference between key upgrades, the cost of upgrading is $9 more than a new key for all tiers. e.g. a new pro key is $40 more than a new plus key, but to upgrade from a plus key to a pro key is $49. That seems unfair/weird to me, why is everytrhing $9 more? Seems like you are punishing existing customers. Thanks

Edited by richowen
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, richowen said:

Was just looking at the Unraid pricing since its been so long since I payed and noticed that the price difference between plus and pro for a new key is $40 but to upgrade from a plus key to a pro key is $49, that seems unfair/weird to me, why is it $9 more? Thanks

To convince you to buy the Pro license at the first time. It's a valid market approach, tho; you get a discount by buying larger quantities.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, richowen said:

Was just looking at the Unraid pricing since its been so long since I payed and noticed the price difference between key upgrades, the cost of upgrading is $9 more than a new key for all tiers. e.g. a new pro key is $40 more than a new plus key, but to upgrade from a plus key to a pro key is $49. That seems unfair/weird to me, why is everytrhing $9 more? Seems like you are punishing existing customers. Thanks

It is quite common to charge extra due to administrative costs.

You can ask yourself the question: why didn't I buy a higher tier in the first place?

I bought a pro license from the start, not because I needed it right away, but knew I use it eventually.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, StevenD said:

I always laugh at these types of posts, since the unRAID license is the cheapest thing in my server!

And the most valuable in many ways!

The $9 service fee to upgrade seems more than fare. They could just offer the fundamental licenses and you'd have to re-buy!

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

My unraid build crashed and I had to rebuild my raid, I'm attempting to transfer some of my data that I had backed up and I'm getting a message that I have to upgrade my license. When I purchase software I was under the understanding that you could always upgrade later, but didn't realize that you pay more later which is just a minor annoyance, what gets me concerned is why it will not let me attache a usb drive to my unraid server to transfer some of my files back. I have to say that adding the 10 dollar fee for the upgrade can deter some customers from staying loyal customers, I like your software but I still not sold on it and not sure its worth the cost to give it another try. 

Edited by martim
1 hour ago, martim said:

why it will not let me attache a usb drive to my unraid server to transfer some of my files back

The license check is only done at array start, you are definitely allowed to plug in a USB hard drive after the array is already started to move files around. Just make sure you unplug it when you need to restart the array.

• Upvote 1

Also note that the trial key is all in meaning you get full functionality to test for up to 60 days to make the critical decision as to what tier will fit your use case not many software providers give you full access to functionality out of the gate on their free versions

2 hours ago, martim said:

I have to say that adding the 10 dollar fee for the upgrade can deter some customers from staying loyal customers, I like your software but I still not sold on it and not sure its worth the cost to give it another try. 

Everytime I buy something to my company, I have to pay a fee just to get the accountant to register the receipt or invoice. Splitting a purchase into two smaller purchases is not free for a company - transactions costs money. Every time you pay with a card, the card company takes out a charge. Same with most electronic transfer systems. You, the customer, normally do not see these costs, because it's normally the company receiving the money, i.e. the seller, that will have to take the cost.

Most of the software I have purchased to give some examples Easypano, Pano2vr, Kolor, etc. I have been able to upgrade; I don’t buy the pro version before giving the software a try first. This is the first dedicated server I have built, and I don’t have a lot of experience, especially with Linux, so it has been an adventure. My server went down within the first couple months of having it, no fault to the software, I had a bad module of memory that caused my array to malfunction and crash. I recommend that anyone buying Unraid just buy the pro version because by the time you add cache drive and parity disks you will have a few drives available for storage, my learning lesson. 

Edited by martim
8 hours ago, martim said:

Most of the software I have purchased to give some examples Easypano, Pano2vr, Kolor, etc. I have been able to upgrade; I don’t buy the pro version before giving the software a try first.

Not sure what you are trying to say with this.

Easypany seems to require you to pay an update fee for just updating to the next major release. unRAID has released a number of major updates with no additional fee. As a non-user, I can't see any information about cost to update from standard to pro edition.

Pano2vr seems to allow you to upgrade to a bigger license with just the difference in price. But you have to pay to step to next major version.

For Kolor, I couldn't see what upgrade options they have - just that the purchase price relates to a named software version.

In the end I pay more for my lunch than the price difference between buying a larger unRAID license directly or updating it at a later time. But the standard rule in business is that it's the seller that decides the price, and the unRAID license fees are seldom a significant contribution to the total system price. Your decision has to be how much own time and/or money you are prepared to spend to go another route. But this whole thread seems to be the result of incorrect assumptions about reality, and the strategical decisions companies has to make.

I completely agree that you should be able to charge whatever you want and for the software you have developed. In my situation It is much better and easier to back up my photos with storage spaces and windows 10 and I'm not limited by how many drives I have attached. 

3 hours ago, martim said:

I completely agree that you should be able to charge whatever you want and for the software you have developed. In my situation It is much better and easier to back up my photos with storage spaces and windows 10 and I'm not limited by how many drives I have attached. 

Remember that you need to invest a bit of time - at the very least to get regular SMART checking of the disks, complete with mail notifications. But give it some time and you'll notice that it's more features you have to help the Win10 system with.

So I don't see how switching system would be easier than upgrading to next larger unRAID license.

And did you notice the previous comment that USB disks can be connected to the machine after the array is started even if you are already at the max number of licensed disks?

You are right, I really like unraid from what I have experienced so far, very stable and easy to setup. I don't want to go back to using windows. I will only buy pro licenses from here on out, I'm going to leave the basic license for a computer that I will use for just home automation, and I'm going to buy another pro license. I currently setup is 1 parity, 4 drives, and 1 ssd cache drive. That was correct, I was able to add the external drive after the array was started without any issues.

Edited by martim
  • 1 month later...
On 7/6/2017 at 7:05 AM, StevenD said:

I always laugh at these types of posts, since the unRAID license is the cheapest thing in my server!

I am in a tight budgetary situation... But, reading this gave me an out loud chuckle at breakfast.  It's so true!

Thanks for the laugh.  ?

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with Op in a way! more than happy to Chipin and pay, as the software is the tits. But stating its an Additional "Admin Fee" is shit excuse, as the process is Automated. So yes, it does feel a little EA DLC.

But hey!! the Software is super good, and a day or so ago i Ppaid for an Additional License and Upgrade for my DR Box.

So no complaints. But i do see where Op is coming from.

3 hours ago, Stan464 said:

Agree with Op in a way! more than happy to Chipin and pay, as the software is the tits. But stating its an Additional "Admin Fee" is shit excuse, as the process is Automated. So yes, it does feel a little EA DLC.

But hey!! the Software is super good, and a day or so ago i Ppaid for an Additional License and Upgrade for my DR Box.

So no complaints. But i do see where Op is coming from.

Not speaking to UnRaid specifically, but the cost of a thing is based on what the market will bear, not on the cost to produce. How much does a can of Coke cost to produce vs cost to buy?

If the cost to produce is higher than what the market well bear, will the price rise? They might try. But then they would not sell. They would have to make it cheaper or go out of business.

Obviously LimeTech had found that the $9 upgrade is a reasonable part of their pricing strategy.

I find it slightly humorous we have people complaining about the $9 fee. Instead of thinking of the $9 as an extra fee, think of it as the discount one gets from buying the full license to start! ?

12 hours ago, SSD said:

Not speaking to UnRaid specifically, but the cost of a thing is based on what the market will bear, not on the cost to produce. How much does a can of Coke cost to produce vs cost to buy?

If the cost to produce is higher than what the market well bear, will the price rise? They might try. But then they would not sell. They would have to make it cheaper or go out of business.

Obviously LimeTech had found that the $9 upgrade is a reasonable part of their pricing strategy.

I find it slightly humorous we have people complaining about the $9 fee. Instead of thinking of the $9 as an extra fee, think of it as the discount one gets from buying the full license to start! ?

Hey, different stroke for different folk my good man!

But hey! in no way am i saying the Upgrade wouldn't be worth it, or isn't worth it. it certainly is worth it, being i have just Purchased a whole new Secondary License as well as a Key Upgrade with that for my Primary Box.

I guess, the 9% could be seen as a Discount, as you say, it beats buying a whole new License!.

• 2 years later...
On 7/6/2017 at 7:37 AM, bonienl said:

Like another Post Already Said and me To Also Bought a Pro License from the start, not because I needed it right away, but knew I use it eventually.

Lime Tech Needs To Make A Buck To If we want To keep Getting up dates & new features & If ya want To Be a dang Tight Wad & Just Buy Basic Then Realize ya Should have bought Pro Then Just Consider Lessons Learned & Be Happy ! ! ..Really UnRaid Pro Probaly Cost Less Than 99.99% Of Any Thing in my server as it probably did every one else that loves unraid & Servers.. Hell i run more than 1 as a mater of Fact i run 3 Dual Xeon Servers 2 is UnRaid 1 is FreeNas/TrueNas & all Have 10Gb, Multiple ssd's & Lots Of Ram..lol. But I Do Realize Most Probaly Dont But I Am A Server/Computer/Tech Enthusiast & Kinda Half To Go Balls To The Wall Or Not At All ! I Would Not Use/Buy Any OS that was just a Crappy Dual Core of Any Kind..But Like I Said i am a bit odd..lol.