Assign static DNS entries to Docker containers

This was discussed in the pre-release subforum but things get lost quickly and easily so I am here to make an official request.

Docker containers get their DNS server assignments from the host OS (unRAID).  Now that v6.4 has the ability to assign static IPs to Docker containers, I would love to also be able to assign static DNS entries.  Why you ask?  Simple answer...DNS Leaks.

I like to tunnel my Deluge and SAB containers trough my OPVN client (PIA) on my psfsense box via an Alias that is based on IP addresses.  Right now I handle static IP and DNS (PIA's DNS servers) assignment to containers using the Pipework container.  Sometimes my SAB and Deluge containers will not be reachable after an update and require a forced restart.  They are the only 2 containers that have this issue so I think it has something to do with Pipework.

I would like to retire the use of Pipework and assign static IP and DNS entries to these containers via the container configuration itself.  

John

Edited by johnodon
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Agree with OP, need more options for containers like DNS for the reasons he cited.  Docker keeps improving on Unraid thanks I hear to bonienl hopefully this request will make the list. The 6.4-rc's are awesome, and this feature would be another step forward.

On 07/03/2017 at 8:46 AM, johnodon said:

This was discussed in the pre-release subforum but things get lost quickly and easily so I am here to make an official request.

Docker containers get their DNS server assignments from the host OS (unRAID).  Now that v6.4 has the ability to assign static IPs to Docker containers, I would love to also be able to assign static DNS entries.  Why you ask?  Simple answer...DNS Leaks.

I like to tunnel my Deluge and SAB containers trough my OPVN client (PIA) on my psfsense box via an Alias that is based on IP addresses.  Right now I handle static IP and DNS (PIA's DNS servers) assignment to containers using the Pipework container.  Sometimes my SAB and Deluge containers will not be reachable after an update and require a forced restart.  They are the only 2 containers that have this issue so I think it has something to do with Pipework.

I would like to retire the use of Pipework and assign static IP and DNS entries to these containers via the container configuration itself.  

John

Just wondering, have you tried using binhex delugevpn or his sabvpn and use the built in privoxy?