USB flashdrive just died

Hi,

My unraid flash drive just died. I cant repair it in windows. Says its read only. I cant fully copy the files into another folder. Some files seems corrupt.

So what now? If I use new flash drive, what would happen to my unraid? Are all files still intact? Can I install new flash drive and start unraid array?

THanks.

Get a new flashdrive and prepare it as per instructions, using the unRaid zip file for your version of unRaid.

If you can copy the config directory from the old flash to the new one, that would be best. At a minimum you'd need the .key file that, depending on when you made your purchase, you might have in an old e-mail or in a backup.

Be careful using an an old flash backup of your entire config directory. Only use it if you are sure that your array configuration has not changed (I.e., you have not added or removed disks) since the backup was taken.

With the old key file in place, when you boot you should be able to request to transfer your license to the new flash drive. 

If you don't have your key file, you would need to reach out Limetech for assistance.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, bjp999 said:

Get a new flashdrive and prepare it as per instructions, using the unRaid zip file for your version of unRaid.

If you can copy the config directory from the old flash to the new one, that would be best. At a minimum you'd need the .key file that, depending on when you made your purchase, you might have in an old e-mail or in a backup.

Be careful using an an old flash backup of your entire config directory. Only use it if you are sure that your array configuration has not changed (I.e., you have not added or removed disks) since the backup was taken.

With the old key file in place, when you boot you should be able to request to transfer your license to the new flash drive. 

If you don't have your key file, you would need to reach out Limetech for assistance.

Unfortunately, the config folder cannot be recovered completely. I can recovered pro1.key though. one of the files that i cant recovered is domain.cfg. the subfolders for config folder can be recovered except plugins folder. the key file is also in my email. as for the usb drive, i cant recovered it no matter what i do. i have spared usb drive though.

what i will do now is

1. prep a new usb drive with latest unraid. 

2. copy Pro1.key file of old failed usb drive into the new usb drive. (can this work? Pro1.key is tied to old failed drive)

3. what other important files that i need to copy? disk.cfg, drift, go, ident.cfg, network.cfg, network-rules.cfg, passwd, passwd.txt, random-seed, shadow, share.cfg, smb-extra.conf, smbpasswd, super.dat

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, publicENEMY said:

3. what other important files that i need to copy? disk.cfg, drift, go, ident.cfg, network.cfg, network-rules.cfg, passwd, passwd.txt, random-seed, shadow, share.cfg, smb-extra.conf, smbpasswd, super.dat

These are the files to get the basic system up and running as a basic NAS box with your old settings.  You should not copy over super.dat unless you are absolutely positive that you haven't replaced or changed out any disks!!!!!

Don't throw away or write to the old Flash Drive until you have the new one working to your satisfaction. 

• Upvote 1

Most of the config files deal with setting like spindown, auto start array, array name, IP address, local master, etc. etc. These are pretty easy to redo if you start with the default set of config files, but better to use the real ones.

The super.dat file maintains the array configuration (which disks are tied to which slots, whether parity is valid, last parity check and # parity errors, whether array was properly shutdown. The last one can cause an inconvenience - because if your super.dat was from a time that the array was started, and you reuse it, it will report a dirty shutdown and want to do a parity check on boot. Suggestion - when you take a backup of the stick, do so with array stopped!)

The other configs you might not want to loose are your docker templates and share configurations. Nothing you can't redo with some time, though, but I'd just as soon keep them. You should also pull the plugins or you'd have to reinstall them.

Glad worked for you! Everyone should do these little things once - so you have the knowledge to recover. :)

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

Hello, I hate to chime in. But I just had this issue happen to me. One of those Micro 32gig usbs just died after reboot from an update. I have an old backup of the original configuration on the unraid setup. I added most of the files from the old drive, lined up the disc to the correct spots.  Waiting on new license, but I have the parity and cache drive saying in red. "the information on this disc will be overwritten once array is started". Is this something to worry about or are the files I copied over not laid out correctly for the died configuration. The files below were copied over to the new drive, I left out the: drift, go, random, shadow and super.

Am I going down the right path or will I lose my data? I have about 27tb of data on a 32tb setup. 

Any words of advice

unraid 6.6.jpg

You really want a better flash backup plan since it looks like that one is 2 years old.

Since parity only contains parity bits and none of your data, unless you have assigned a data disk to a parity slot then your array data should be fine.

Don't understand why cache would say it is going to be overwritten though. If it is unmountable you should have to check a box to reformat it. Not sure what version Unraid you were running though.

Attach a screenshot of those red messages and your diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

2 hours ago, speedyonthehill said:

I went into the area were the Key is suppose to be added and requested an Update? It said 1 - 2 days before reply?

No request have ever come through -> I saw the conversation and looked you up.  Usual time to do this (depending upon time of day) is 15 minutes to 12 hours

Set up the replacement key.  If you can't use the automated method, https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Changing_The_Flash_Device then unraid.net/contact with a copy & paste of Tools - Registration.  No screenshots

• 3 weeks later...

Just be patient until one of the Gurus has a chance to spot your thread.  I suspect that they will tell you to use   Tools  >>>  New Config    tool to reset your array.  As I recall, you can set this tool to preserve the current parity on the disk. 

Here is the section of the manual for that tool:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Reset_the_array_configuration

If you are not sure you have not accidentally assigned a data disk as the parity disk, it is actually better to assign all of the disks as data disks.  Then start the array, one of the disks (and there should only be one) will show up as unformatted.  That will definitely be the parity disk.  Obviously, do not formatted that disk!

22 minutes ago, speedyonthehill said:

Hello,

I got the new Pass key. I have aligned my disc to what I believe is correct disc to the array.

On the parity disc and cache disc. It says all data will be wiped. Should I be worry or ?

If you aren't absolutely sure don't assign anything to any parity slot.

Don't assign cache either.

Make sure Docker and VM Manager are disabled in Settings before starting the array. Then you can see if all assigned array data disks mount, and take a look at the disk that should be cache as an Unassigned Device.