jonathansayeb

Unable to delete share!

13 posts in this topic

I'm not sure but i think it could be a bug. Since I use mainly my Imac to connect to the UNRAID server through AFP it seems that the system adds a hidden file ".ds_store" and another hidden folder called .AppleDB hence making it unable to delete since the Share is not empty. I tried to use Krusader to delete the files but for some reason it won't delete them.

Please can you tell how I can fix this.

Thank you all

Macs create these folders when you access a network share. 

You can open up terminal on your Mac and SSH to the unraid server. CD to /mnt/user/share/

Rm -rf *

Make sure your in the shared folder that will remove your files left over in there. 

Great thank you very much for your fast reply. unfortunately i cannot get the ssh connection to work in terminal it keeps closing the connection even tho I see in the log that it has been connected successfully.

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 10.04.48 PM.png

3 hours ago, jonathansayeb said:

it keeps closing the connection even tho I see in the log that it has been connected successfully.

Are you talking about the unRAID system log or some other log?

Also, be very, very careful about following Maticks advice. If at all in doubt, don't do it. You could wind up deleting a lot more than you intend.

Yes that's right i'm talking about the Unraid system log which I access directly from the Unraid GUI.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Finally accessed my server with ssh but and the command you gave me works to delete all non hidden files. but i'm still stuck with the .appleDB folder which won't delete

Could it be that the file in question is instantly regenerated as soon as it is deleted?  (I am not an Mac user but I seem to recall that this file is a Mac system file...)

Maybe try shutting down the MAC? Or unplugging the ethernet cable to your server, trying the command from the unRAID console, and once done, reattaching.

User shares are a reflection of the top level folders across all of the disks. If a folder exists, even on one disk, it will show as a user share. When the folder goes away from every disk, the user share goes away. UNLESS you make some specific configuration changes to that user share. I think it will then continue to appear until you delete it. Deleting a user share does not delete files, which if you think about it, is probably how you want it to work!

I also can't delete shares.  I don't have a check box like they talk about in the 6 manual.  I'm running 6.3.5.  I also tried to delete the name of the share and click apply next to the delete button but it says I have to have a share name.  Please help. 

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Westex said:

I also can't delete shares.  I don't have a check box like they talk about in the 6 manual.  I'm running 6.3.5.  I also tried to delete the name of the share and click apply next to the delete button but it says I have to have a share name.  Please help. 

You can't delete a share that isn't empty. Have you tried to delete all the files and folders in the share?

Just now, trurl said:

You can't delete a share that isn't empty. Have you tried to delete all the files and folders in the share?

Yes, just to make sure I created a new share just to make sure.  My "test" share and the one I had will not delete from the gui

shares.png

2 minutes ago, Westex said:

Yes, just to make sure I created a new share just to make sure.  My "test" share and the one I had will not delete from the gui

shares.png

This may be the firefox checkbox bug. Try another browser.