Too many wrong and/or missing disks! (cant replace two bad drives with newer)

I have had two drives fail on unraid and just added two 3TB WD RED but after assigning them, i cant start the array "invalid config"

Disk 3 shows missing bad 1TB. Replacing with 3TB red

Disk 4 shows unassigned. Replacing with 3TB red

Any ideas how i can get these two new drives assigned?

There is a possibility that you might be able to recover some of the files from these disks.  Remove the disks and set them aside for now.  Get the array running with your replacement disks.  Then install the unassigned devices plugin.  See if you can mount either of these disks with that plugin. (You might want to install the disks in a external USB drive case.)   If so, then see if you can recover any files from these two disk. 

Edited by Frank1940
14 hours ago, rcmpayne said:

I have had two drives fail on unraid

We really have no idea what exactly you meant by this. I think it is quite likely that we could have gotten your system back to just one disk that could have been rebuilt from parity.

Probably if you would just put the original disks back in and post your diagnostics we could have a better idea of what your options are.

Just now, trurl said:

We really have no idea what exactly you meant by this. I think it is quite likely that we could have gotten your system back to just one disk that could have been rebuilt from parity.

Probably if you would just put the original disks back in and post your diagnostics we could have a better idea of what your options are.

4 hours ago, rcmpayne said:

The new drives are formatting in xfs

Never mind. If you have already done New Config then its too late to go back.

8 hours ago, rcmpayne said:

Haven't don't new config yet. I can pop the old drives back in if you want a config report to review

12 hours ago, rcmpayne said:

The new drives are formatting in xfs

If you haven't added the new disks then how are you formatting them? You must let unRAID format them after they have been added to the array.

If you haven't done New Config then put your array back like it was, with the original disks, and without the new disks. It might even let you start it like that depending on exactly what you meant by "failed".

Then post a diagnostic.

9 minutes ago, trurl said:

If you haven't done New Config then put your array back like it was, with the original disks, and without the new disks. It might even let you start it like that depending on exactly what you meant by "failed".

IF you are going to try this, if you get a prompt about formatting any of these disks, DON'T do it without further instructions!!!!

Ok all back and working. I added the bad drives back but the array would not start so I used the add-on to mount them separately out side the array and all my data was available. So I added the
new red drives and did killed the parity. Everything is working now and just moving data from the bad drives back to the array using cp -v -r

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Possibly nothing actually wrong with those drives. Problems caused by connections, cables, controllers are much more common than bad drives. Without a diagnostic we can't say.

I replaced the cables, power connectors and new power supply all with the same issue. The drives have power on house in the 6 year range and smart report shows lots of errors with them. Sure it's time to retire them.

3 minutes ago, rcmpayne said:

I replaced the cables, power connectors and new power supply all with the same issue. The drives have power on house in the 6 year range and smart report shows lots of errors with them. Sure it's time to retire them. emoji1.png

Should have said so at the beginning9_9