jonp

[WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: broken hyper-threading

39 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, yippy3000 said:

There is an update but there aren't any release notes so I asked support and they said they did not think it included the micro-code update.

Is there anyway to tell if I am running the fixed micro-code for the CPU after I do the BIOS update?

Is it a supermicro? I wish they had release notes for bios updates.

It is ASRock rack actually.  E3C236D2I to be precise with a E3-1230 v5 in it.

Any news on this? I tried manually loading the intel-ucode.img before Unraid but I must be doing something wrong because the microcode update doesn't seem to apply.

I just saw this post... I have a Skylake i5 6600K and have been having issues with multiple VMs. After turning off one of them and re-assigning all CPUs to that one VM, the system is very stable, not a single crash. 

My motherboard is a "ASUS Z170M-PLUS S-1151 M-ATX". Just checked the site for BIOS upgrades and this is the latest update:

Version 3402 - 2017/07/21
1. Update CPU Microcode 
2. Improve system compatibility and stability

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170M-PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/

Will upgrade BIOS and try again with multiple VMs running. 

Asus seems to have released new bios for most of there mobo as have asrock, though atmo the asrock one is a beta.

Unfortunately so far there has been nothing from supermicro and I get no replies when I send them support emails asking for details on bios update (specifically in my case X11 series mobos, current downloadable bios 2.0a is many months old). Supermicro seem to be pretty iffy when it comes to bios updates, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen till next year.

Although the fix 'should' be applied to unraid as well as having an updated bios, I suspect it's more likely unraid will just rely on bios update and not bother actually including the software fix. I hope to be wrong though, really could do with enabling threading again...

5 minutes ago, Iormangund said:

Unfortunately so far there has been nothing from supermicro and I get no replies when I send them support emails asking for details on bios update (specifically in my case X11 series mobos, current downloadable bios 2.0a is many months old)

According to an user from another forum bios 2.0b for X11 series will contain the fix and is currently  in testing, though no release date yet.

Bios 2.0b with the HT fix is now available for my Supermicro X11SSM-F, didn't check but it should also be available for other X11 models.

Now waiting on ASRockRack to do the same for their boards.  Not too hopeful :-(

Is there a fix the Unraid can do as well?  If there is, they really need to.

2 hours ago, yippy3000 said:

Now waiting on ASRockRack to do the same for their boards.  Not too hopeful :-(

Is there a fix the Unraid can do as well?  If there is, they really need to.

The latest released BIOS (v2.10) for my Asrock C236 WSI board contains Kaby Lake support but no hyper threading fix.

Like others, I see Intel has released a Linux version of the 7/7/2017 microcode update for the hyper threading issue at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26925/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=88173

It was never confirmed here if we could apply this directly, if it needed to be incorporated in unRAID, or if only a MB manufacturer BIOS update will permanently do the trick.

9 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Bios 2.0b with the HT fix is now available for my Supermicro X11SSM-F, didn't check but it should also be available for other X11 models.

Thanks for the update. I see the 2.0b out for my SM.

Any way to find release notes aside from emailing SM and hoping they send them?

On 14/8/2017 at 9:28 PM, Hoopster said:

The latest released BIOS (v2.10) for my Asrock C236 WSI board contains Kaby Lake support but no hyper threading fix.

Like others, I see Intel has released a Linux version of the 7/7/2017 microcode update for the hyper threading issue at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26925/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=88173

It was never confirmed here if we could apply this directly, if it needed to be incorporated in unRAID, or if only a MB manufacturer BIOS update will permanently do the trick.

Asrock have available a beta bios v.2.11 with this change: Update Microcode for "Hyper-Threading"

Edited by pcaro

How did you find out about the beta bios for Asrock? I can't find it on their website.  I hope it is released soon (and for their server boards as well)