[WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: broken hyper-threading

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this post... I have a Skylake i5 6600K and have been having issues with multiple VMs. After turning off one of them and re-assigning all CPUs to that one VM, the system is very stable, not a single crash. 

My motherboard is a "ASUS Z170M-PLUS S-1151 M-ATX". Just checked the site for BIOS upgrades and this is the latest update:

Version 3402 - 2017/07/21
1. Update CPU Microcode 
2. Improve system compatibility and stability

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170M-PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/

Will upgrade BIOS and try again with multiple VMs running. 

Asus seems to have released new bios for most of there mobo as have asrock, though atmo the asrock one is a beta.

Unfortunately so far there has been nothing from supermicro and I get no replies when I send them support emails asking for details on bios update (specifically in my case X11 series mobos, current downloadable bios 2.0a is many months old). Supermicro seem to be pretty iffy when it comes to bios updates, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen till next year.

Although the fix 'should' be applied to unraid as well as having an updated bios, I suspect it's more likely unraid will just rely on bios update and not bother actually including the software fix. I hope to be wrong though, really could do with enabling threading again...

5 minutes ago, Iormangund said:

Unfortunately so far there has been nothing from supermicro and I get no replies when I send them support emails asking for details on bios update (specifically in my case X11 series mobos, current downloadable bios 2.0a is many months old)

According to an user from another forum bios 2.0b for X11 series will contain the fix and is currently  in testing, though no release date yet.

2 hours ago, yippy3000 said:

Now waiting on ASRockRack to do the same for their boards.  Not too hopeful :-(

Is there a fix the Unraid can do as well?  If there is, they really need to.

The latest released BIOS (v2.10) for my Asrock C236 WSI board contains Kaby Lake support but no hyper threading fix.

Like others, I see Intel has released a Linux version of the 7/7/2017 microcode update for the hyper threading issue at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26925/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=88173

It was never confirmed here if we could apply this directly, if it needed to be incorporated in unRAID, or if only a MB manufacturer BIOS update will permanently do the trick.

9 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Bios 2.0b with the HT fix is now available for my Supermicro X11SSM-F, didn't check but it should also be available for other X11 models.

Thanks for the update. I see the 2.0b out for my SM.

Any way to find release notes aside from emailing SM and hoping they send them?

On 14/8/2017 at 9:28 PM, Hoopster said:

The latest released BIOS (v2.10) for my Asrock C236 WSI board contains Kaby Lake support but no hyper threading fix.

Like others, I see Intel has released a Linux version of the 7/7/2017 microcode update for the hyper threading issue at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26925/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=88173

It was never confirmed here if we could apply this directly, if it needed to be incorporated in unRAID, or if only a MB manufacturer BIOS update will permanently do the trick.

Asrock have available a beta bios v.2.11 with this change: Update Microcode for "Hyper-Threading"

Edited by pcaro
On 14/08/2017 at 5:44 PM, johnnie.black said:

Bios 2.0b with the HT fix is now available for my Supermicro X11SSM-F, didn't check but it should also be available for other X11 models.

Ty, unfortunately no 2.0b yet for my board, X11SSH-CTF.

X11SSH-LN4F appears to be the only one of the X11SSH range with 2.0b so far.

Guessing it can't be long now till its out for my one.

On 15/08/2017 at 3:17 AM, CrashnBrn said:

Thanks for the update. I see the 2.0b out for my SM.

Any way to find release notes aside from emailing SM and hoping they send them?

It's notoriously difficult getting release notes for Supermicro boards, no clue why. There should be some info in the bios update download, but it's pretty limited. Good luck getting any info from them, I've emailed them before with bios/mobo questions and never got a reply to any of them.

On 16/08/2017 at 1:46 PM, yippy3000 said:

How did you find out about the beta bios for Asrock? I can't find it on their website.  I hope it is released soon (and for their server boards as well)

May only be for a few boards, but I found it under support bios updates for the specific board, at the very bottom listed as beta. (H270 mobo)

Edited by Iormangund

I have just updated my Supermicro X11SSL-CF BIOS from 1.0a (01/29/16) --> 2.0b (07/31/17). However the BIOS package didn't contained any release note as discovered by others here. 

Is this the error connected to the issue?

Aug 18 10:56:16 Tower emhttp: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/tail_log syslog
Aug 18 11:12:29 Tower emhttp: err: sendFile: sendfile /usr/local/emhttp/update.htm: Broken pipe

The Webgui of my server is unresponsive for a couple of minutes. The new BIOS didn't had any effect.

Edited by EdgarWallace
On 16/8/2017 at 2:46 PM, yippy3000 said:

How did you find out about the beta bios for Asrock? I can't find it on their website.  I hope it is released soon (and for their server boards as well)

I selected my motherboard model in Asrock website, go to to support (middle page) and, at bottom, you can get the beta version.

Link to spanish page (sorry) where I get for my motherboard, a B250M pro4

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B250M Pro4/index.es.asp#BIOS

On 8/16/2017 at 4:03 AM, pcaro said:

Asrock have available a beta bios v.2.11 with this change: Update Microcode for "Hyper-Threading"

As noted by Yippy, a beta BIOS with the hyperthreading fix is only available for certain ASRock consumer boards.  The ASRock Rack server/workstation boards do not have a BIOS update available with the fix. I contacted ASRock today and asked if they planned to release a BIOS for the server/WS board with the hyperthreading fix.  This was their reply:

"BIOS update to debug hyperthreading flaw is already in the working. But the BIOS team may take extra time to come up with updates for all other server boards all at once. "

Edited by Hoopster
On 8/17/2017 at 3:15 PM, Iormangund said:

Ty, unfortunately no 2.0b yet for my board, X11SSH-CTF.

X11SSH-LN4F appears to be the only one of the X11SSH range with 2.0b so far.

Guessing it can't be long now till its out for my one.

It's notoriously difficult getting release notes for Supermicro boards, no clue why. There should be some info in the bios update download, but it's pretty limited. Good luck getting any info from them, I've emailed them before with bios/mobo questions and never got a reply to any of them.

May only be for a few boards, but I found it under support bios updates for the specific board, at the very bottom listed as beta. (H270 mobo)

Here are the release notes for the X11SSH 2.0b bios:

Product Name: X11SSH-F/LN4-F
Revision: 2.0b Previous Revision: 2.0a
Release Date: 7/27/2017
Update Category: Critical
Dependencies:
None
Important Notes:
None
Enhancements:
1. Changed BIOS revision to 2.0b.
2. Updated Intel Kaby Lake RC/SI package 4.1.0.6 PLR2.
3. Updated DT_P_123 for Kaby Lake-S B0 stepping microcode M2A906E9_0000005E and Skylake-S
R0/S0 stepping MCU M36506E3_000000BA.
4. Set enabled SATA Hot Plug as default.
5. Added support for new Micron ECC_On_Die chip(I-Die).
6. Displayed SGX-related items.
7. Updated Kaby Lake BIOS/SINIT ACM 1.2.0.
8. Added SumBbsSupportFlag into DAT file.
9. Added TPM PCR measurements for PCR[1], PCR[2], and PCR[6].
10. Removed the "Unrecoverable Media control failure" event log from BMC.
11. Added a workaround to clear onboard LAN device UR, CE status.
New Features:
None
Fixes:
1. Fixed problem of valid bit being checked before IPMI CMOS clear flag.
2. Fixed system reset or hanging after Watchdog function is enabled during BIOS update.
3. Fixed issue of SUM TC306 and TC317 failing in certain configuration cases.
4. Fixed inability of the system to enter "Recovery mode" automatically if BIOS ACPI table in the Main
Block is corrupted.
5. Fixed issue of system halting at 0xB2 when disabling JPG1.
6. Fixed incorrect CECC DIMM location being reported in BMC SEL log.
7. Fixed problem of IPMI device _CRS being reported as 0xca2 or 0xca3.
8. Fixed problem of "file size is zero" error occurring when using SUM in-band command
"GetCurrentBiosCfg".
9. Fixed inability to find correct Memory CECC DIMM location through SD5.
10. Fixed problem of "No DIMM Information" showing for Memory CECC in Event log of BIOS Setup.
11. Fixed problem of recovery from JBR1/FFS Check hanging at 0x90.

On 21/08/2017 at 10:33 PM, CrashnBrn said:

Wow, I think that's the first time I have actually seen anyone get release notes from supermicro, good job!

Unfortunately it seems they are still taking longer with X11SSH-CTF, maybe it's some sort of issues with the 10gbit nic holding up the update.

2 hours ago, spencers said:

Haven't had any glaring issues with my Asrock C236 WSI and Xeon E3-1245 v5 setup. Is this fix absolutely necessary?

I have the same motherboard and CPU and have not seen any issues.  I have left hyperthreading enabled since reading up on the bug leads me to believe that, although the bug is certainly there and could cause data loss/corruption if exposed, its a very specific situation and code sequence which could expose it.  I will certainly apply any fix ASRock may issue in a future BIOS; however, I am taking a calculated risk that the conditions under which the bug manifests itself will not occur on my server.

I have an Asrock C236M WS with an i3-6100. Previously I've experienced system hangs which could not be explained (no logs, no errors etc.). I have now disabled HT and am waiting for Asrock to release a fix, which they are supposedly working on, but I wasn't able to get from them on when they are planning to release it. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if that's what was causing my issue but I have almost a month of uptime currently with no problems at all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/08/2017 at 10:33 PM, CrashnBrn said:

How did you manage to get the release notes btw? I am still waiting for them to update the bios for X11SSH-CTF and it's getting a bit ridiculous now considering every other X11SSH variant now has the update. Never gotten a reply from them whenever I try to contact them to ask about it.

36 minutes ago, Iormangund said:

How did you manage to get the release notes btw? I am still waiting for them to update the bios for X11SSH-CTF and it's getting a bit ridiculous now considering every other X11SSH variant now has the update. Never gotten a reply from them whenever I try to contact them to ask about it.

PM'ed