Should I expect memtest to run overnight?

I just got a new MB/CPU/Memory.

I'm having issues running memtest for a long period of time.  I eventually get errors.

I just updated the BIOS of the M/B and I"m re-running.

I'm running memtest 5.01.

I can boot the win7 install disk..  I can boot to the unraid gui...

Should I be able to run memtest overnight without errors?

Jim

Many Gurus recommend running it for 24 hours.  And it should be without memory errors!  If you are getting errors, I would be checking voltages, frequency and timing against the specs for your memory.  I would also check that they are matched sets.  I seem to recall that if you have all four slots filled, you do have to a bit more careful about having identical strips in each slot. 

I've narrowed it down to the block test failing.  If I just run that test it fails pretty quickly.  If I run the test single core it seems to run ok.  Multi core fails quickly.  over clocked fails, stock fails, underclocked fails.  CPU underclocked fails too.

2nd set of DIMMS from work fails too.

This is the 2nd MB since the first showed the same errors and had bent pins.

Could it be the CPU??

I would suggest that you post spec's on MB, CPU and Memory modules.  (Manufacturer and Model numbers)  Also, have you checked your MB manufacturer's website to see if your memory modules are on their list.  You can also check the RAM maker's site for their recommendation for your MB. 

Have you googled to see if anyone else has had issues with the MB/memory combination?

Google hasn't come up with anything..

I"m using a ASRock Z270 Gaming K6 with a I7-7700 processor.

The memory is G.SKILL Ripjaw VSeries 2 x 8GB DDR4 2666.

Some memory I grabbed from work show the same symptoms.

I'll try to grab a beefier power supply from work..  But I doubt that since slowing the ram and processor didn't help.

I'm really leaning toward RMAing the CPU....

I wish I could test the CPU in another board!!  Or Grab another CPU to test in this MB!

Maybe work has one..

I'm also going to try the latest version of memtest.  A much earlier version had problems with the block test.  And some other random folks had issues as well with 5.01

Is there a windows stress test I could run?  (not that I want to take the time to install windows...)

Jim

Ha!  I think it might be an issue with memtest!!!  I've tried memtest on two different machines at work and they both give similar errors!  not as frequently..  but they do give errors.

My work machines are rock stable.  The standalone memtest (not memtest+) seems to run fine with 4.7.something..  But it only seems to exercise 4 cores (out of 8 )

I can't get the uefi capable V7 something to run on my newer dell machine at work with more than 1 core.  Some UEFI Bios limitation.  Oh well.. Maybe my new machine at home will

be able to run the V7 multi core version.

If anyone is bored and wants to try and duplicate my test..  Try running memtest with an upper limit of 10M and just run test 7 (block move) in parallel CPU mode.

Jim

Check and see if there is a later version of memtst.  I believe there have been problems in the past as new hardware comes on the market and the program has had to updated to account for changes in the way it functions.

EDIT: Plus you should probably read this:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/251499-major-hyper-threading-flaw-can-destabilize-intel-cpus-based-kaby-lake-skylake

Edited by Frank1940

The more and more I read...  It seems like parallel CPU testing is not reliable.

I don't know which version of memtest86+ equated to which version of memtest..  but as of V4.3 of memtest they made the default multi-cpu test to be round robin

Look here

So now I start again in round robin mode or at least change the memory range to start above 10M...

I ran the latest version of Memtest86 (from passmark) in uefi mode multi core..  With the memory OC to 2666 and it ran overnight with no errors.

So I don't trust the stock memtest86+ 5.01 in parallel CPU mode...

All my frustration was for nothing! :-(

Now I can transfer the hardware tonight!

Jim

• 5 years later...