Dashboard not loading if popup dismissed. Is this new?

I opened my dashboard today and getting the following popup. If I click on dismiss, nothing loads on whatever tab I select and the popup comes back.

Is that a new thing I must Install? Didn't see any announcement about it.

Running 6.3.2

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 9.11.15 PM.png

Edited by Parigot

Dismiss just does nothing. Try Install and got an error now:

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/statistics.sender.plg
plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/statistics.sender.plg
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/statistics.sender.plg ... done

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/boot/config/plugins/statistics.sender.plg" in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin on line 214
plugin: xml parse error

9 hours ago, Squid said:

Don't know. Mobile so can't check on my system. Maybe post in the preclear thread. I do know that there were some changes to the plugin in the last day or so

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Probably one more case of flash drive corruption, I'm afraid....

failed to load external entity "/boot/config/plugins/statistics.sender.plg"

/boot/ is empty...doesn't sound good, does it?

I did do a backup of what was on the flash drive though. If the flash drive itself is corrupted, can I just copy my backup to a new flash drive, swap them on the PC and boot?

Edited by Parigot
added info
failed to load external entity "/boot/config/plugins/statistics.sender.plg"

/boot/ is empty...doesn't sound good, does it?

I did do a backup of what was on the flash drive though. If the flash drive itself is corrupted, can I just copy my backup to a new flash drive, swap them on the PC and boot?

Doubt its corrupted. Try a different controller. Usb 3/2

Don't know. Mobile so can't check on my system. Maybe post in the preclear thread. I do know that there were some changes to the plugin in the last day or so

I installed this plugin from community apps today (4hours ago) and had no issues. I dismissed that above popup

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

It does appear that the "nag" screen to install can indeed cause problems on systems which do not work correctly or have underlying issues.

This is because preclear if it does not detect that you have already dismissed the nag screen pops up the Do You Want To Install on every single page you hit within unRaid's GUI.  (Definitely not what I would want -> why not just pop it up when you're in the UI for preclear if its that important.)

The problem with the way that this is currently handled basically causes an infinite loop of questions if there is an issue with the flash drive.  Some causes of the infinite loop:

• Flash drive is perfectly ok, but has a Read Only switch on it set to be RO
  • Flash drive is full
  • Flash drive has some corruption on it resulting in it being a read-only file system.
  • Flash drive dropped offline
  • USB controller is flaky
  • You somehow inadvertently pass through the USB controller handling the flash drive to a VM.
  • Your kid / cat / free-range chicken (depending upon the location of the server and what you classify as a pet) inadvertently knocks the flash drive out.

None of the above scenarios are by themselves fatal (unless you have the preclear plugin installed), and some of them the end-user might not ever even notice on a system, as the system will continue chugging along (although maybe with some errors being logged).  Also all of the above issues are not exactly rare in the unRaid eco-system.  (And some of the above require a reboot of the server in order to fix)

All of these issues mean that it doesn't matter what you select (either install or dismiss), you will have immediately for all intents and purposes locked up the GUI.

There is no recovery from this infinite nag loop.  Your only recourse as gfjardim stated above is to log in to the system (either locally, or via SSH) and then issue

rm /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/StatsInstall.page

At which point the GUI should quit bitching at you.  You will still have the underlying problem though that caused this, and on the next reboot you will be susceptible to this problem again.  EDIT: (You might be able to also fix the lockup issue by navigating directly to the apps tab, as the first thing the apps tab does is wind up closing any/all popups that try to open.  Navigate directly to something like //Tower/Apps and then go to Installed Apps, and uninstall Preclear (and Statistics) from the display)

Either way, IMHO a plugin (and one of the "must-have" plugins from a trusted author) should not be able to take down the webGUI completely if a problem with the flash drive occurs.  Simply passing the problem off to the user and not changing the underlying problem with the plugin is not the correct way to handle things.

On 6/27/2017 at 6:59 AM, gfjardim said:

Probably one more case of flash drive corruption, I'm afraid....

As a front line support guy around here my recommendation is (to be brutally honest) that how the preclear disk plugin is currently set up, I wouldn't have it installed unless I had an immediate need to preclear a disk (and then after the process is completed, uninstall it).  The scenarios can happen to anyone on any server.  Should it be installed, and one of the above scenario's happen, then you'll have lost access to the GUI when you need it the most.  

Edited by Squid
  • Upvote 1
On 7/8/2017 at 7:44 AM, Squid said:

It does appear that the "nag" screen to install can indeed cause problems on systems which do not work correctly or have underlying issues.

This is because preclear if it does not detect that you have already dismissed the nag screen pops up the Do You Want To Install on every single page you hit within unRaid's GUI.  (Definitely not what I would want -> why not just pop it up when you're in the UI for preclear if its that important.)

The problem with the way that this is currently handled basically causes an infinite loop of questions if there is an issue with the flash drive.  Some causes of the infinite loop:

• Flash drive is perfectly ok, but has a Read Only switch on it set to be RO
  • Flash drive is full
  • Flash drive has some corruption on it resulting in it being a read-only file system.
  • Flash drive dropped offline
  • USB controller is flaky
  • You somehow inadvertently pass through the USB controller handling the flash drive to a VM.
  • Your kid / cat / free-range chicken (depending upon the location of the server and what you classify as a pet) inadvertently knocks the flash drive out.

None of the above scenarios are by themselves fatal (unless you have the preclear plugin installed), and some of them the end-user might not ever even notice on a system, as the system will continue chugging along (although maybe with some errors being logged).  Also all of the above issues are not exactly rare in the unRaid eco-system.  (And some of the above require a reboot of the server in order to fix)

All of these issues mean that it doesn't matter what you select (either install or dismiss), you will have immediately for all intents and purposes locked up the GUI.

There is no recovery from this infinite nag loop.  Your only recourse as gfjardim stated above is to log in to the system (either locally, or via SSH) and then issue

rm /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/StatsInstall.page

At which point the GUI should quit bitching at you.  You will still have the underlying problem though that caused this, and on the next reboot you will be susceptible to this problem again.  EDIT: (You might be able to also fix the lockup issue by navigating directly to the apps tab, as the first thing the apps tab does is wind up closing any/all popups that try to open.  Navigate directly to something like //Tower/Apps and then go to Installed Apps, and uninstall Preclear (and Statistics) from the display)

Either way, IMHO a plugin (and one of the "must-have" plugins from a trusted author) should not be able to take down the webGUI completely if a problem with the flash drive occurs.  Simply passing the problem off to the user and not changing the underlying problem with the plugin is not the correct way to handle things.

As a front line support guy around here my recommendation is (to be brutally honest) that how the preclear disk plugin is currently set up, I wouldn't have it installed unless I had an immediate need to preclear a disk (and then after the process is completed, uninstall it).  The scenarios can happen to anyone on any server.  Should it be installed, and one of the above scenario's happen, then you'll have lost access to the GUI when you need it the most.  

Thanks for this reply.

I already removed the StatsInstall.page but the popup keeps showing even if I click on the Apps tab.

What is next here? Should I reboot the server? Should I remove the preclear plugin? If so, how to do it command-line so it is properly removed?

As you mentioned, having that plugin taking over the entire GUI is a bit weird and I still can't figure out how this can be allowed by the unRAID team tbh.

Thanks for this reply.

I already removed the StatsInstall.page but the popup keeps showing even if I click on the Apps tab.

What is next here? Should I reboot the server? Should I remove the preclear plugin? If so, how to do it command-line so it is properly removed?

As you mentioned, having that plugin taking over the entire GUI is a bit weird and I still can't figure out how this can be allowed by the unRAID team tbh.

Your system has a problem, a very serious problem. Your flash drive is corrupted or was mounted in a read only state which by itself will render your system unusable. You have to shutdown your server, remove the flash drive, put it into a Windows machine and run a check disk into it.

The plugin runs fine in a healthy system, and was designed to make that question only one time. It keeps asking you because it can't read/write the answer from/into your boot disk. You have to shutdown your server anyway since you can't fix it with a problematic flash drive. You won't be able to fix your array either. Any other advice is useless on your case, and was given only to make a useless point instead of helping you fix this.

So, shutdown your server and run a check disk on a Windows PC.

Enviado de meu SM-G930F usando Tapatalk

Didn't mean anything by my posting.  Rather that its a very simple change to not have the stats nag screen pop up if/when the flash drive drops offline which is not an uncommon occurance.  The odds that the drive dropped offline far exceed the odds that its a simple case of corruption.  My opinions are all my own.

• 1 month later...

Followed gfjardim advice and put my flash drive into a windows box then ran check disk. It fixed the drive.

Put it back in my UNRAID server, booted and all is fine now.

I did remove the pre-clear plugin for now as suggested above.

Thanks all for your help! Much appreciated.