Disk Error + Shares missing

Last night I installed a GPU into my server. To do so I had to the SAS card down a slot. The GPU seemed to install fine, as it was showing as available for VM passthru. Later I attempted to set up a OSX VM. This failed, as I'm unable to boot. I believe this to be configuration error on my end in Clover bootloader, so I leave the VM stopped for further troubleshooting later.

I then wake up this morning to find a disk (Disk6) in error state on my array. I stopped the array, at which point both Disks 5&6 report as 'missing'. I immediately poser down the server and remove the new GPU. Upon reboot, Disk 6 is showing as Unreadable and all of my Shares are missing.

I've not yet had a drive failure, or any real troubles in the 4+ years I've been running unRaid, so I'm in a panic. I've attached the Diagnostics from WebUI. Any assistance on where to start would be appreciated. I'm going to procure new 2TB drives in the meantime also.

mootower-diagnostics-20170625-1143.zip

Thanks! I've reassigned Disk 6 and the data rebuild is in progress.

Do you have any insight into a root cause? Would simply switching PCI slots for the SASLP card cause this confusion? If so is there a proper way to switch slots for the card? I need to move it if I am going to fit a GPU in the x16 slot.

20 minutes ago, VelcroBP said:

Do you have any insight into a root cause?

Can't be 100% sure without the logs from when it happened but pretty sure it was the typical SASLP/SAS2LP issue.

Would simply switching PCI slots for the SASLP card cause this confusion? If so is there a proper way to switch slots for the card?

Switching slots is not a problem for most controllers. it can be for these, it can also fail in the current slot in the future, only that it can fail much more in a slot over another.

I need to move it if I am going to fit a GPU in the x16 slot.

Consider getting an LSI controller, like I said this is a typical failure for both the SASLP and SAS2LP, though some users have no issues.

Edited by johnnie.black

I'll look into an LSI controller, though I've been running this one without issue for years, including a complete hardware overhaul (MoBO, CPU, RAM) a while back.

Can you provide more info on which LSI controller(s) to look at? Also: when referring to "Typical SASLP/SAS2LP issue", can you be more specific? I'd like to read up on documentation of this known issue to help determine if that is my root cause.

Thanks again for all your help!

15 minutes ago, VelcroBP said:

Can you provide more info on which LSI controller(s) to look at?

Any LSI2008 based controller, eg, LSI9211-8i or clones, like the IBM M1015, Dell H200 or H310, etc

15 minutes ago, VelcroBP said:

Also: when referring to "Typical SASLP/SAS2LP issue", can you be more specific?

Controller crashes and drops several disks, I was collecting info for a while to try and find why it only happened for some users but gave up as the only thing in common between them were the controllers themselves.

sas(2)lp.png

Edited by johnnie.black