New hardware - bootloop [SOLVED]

Hi

I recently bought new hardware for my unraid server. I bought everything new accept the HD's that I am reusing.

New hardware:

-Supermicro X11SSH-F

-Intel Pentium G4620

-Kingston ValueRAM - 8 Gig DDR4 ECC

-Cooler Master V Series V550

-LSI SAS 3.0 (12GB) HBA 9300-8i

-Fractal Design Define XL R2

After assembly my server boots. It is rather slow but apparently that's not unusual for this motherboard. Everything starts up and I see the Unraid boot menu start. I get my first 2 OK's and then it stops and the server reboots..  This loop keeps going on and on.

I don't think I have a hardware problem otherwise unraid wouldn't be able to start I presume?

I am using the same USB stick from my previous unraid. Just popped it in my new case and boot. Didn't do an adjustment on the stick. Other people on the forum have used the same process and don't have any issues.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem would be?

BIOS has been updated and tested at the hardware store. I am using the last unraid software verson.

Edited by Sphinkx
Fixed

I have the LN4 version of that board had the same issue and the below worked for me

1) Make a backup copy of /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg  -->  /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg_bak

2) Download latest unRAID zip file from our Downloads section

3) Extract the syslinux/syslinux.cfg from within the zip and overwrite /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

4) Reboot unRAID and try booting non-GUI mode

Another option if the above doesn't work is to start in gui mode.

On a side note this board does take a while to get through the start up.

• Upvote 1

Thank you burtjr. Will try this. My server is connected to an old LCD. Most of the time it is just off but with the new setup it was obviously on to check if everything is working. The monitor is always linked to my server.

The slow start up is indeed a pain. I was aware that it was going to be slow but you aren't really used to slow boots these days.

3 hours ago, Sphinkx said:

The slow start up is indeed a pain. I was aware that it was going to be slow but you aren't really used to slow boots these days.

It's a server. Slow thorough checks is normal for real servers, as they are seldom rebooted. Mine typically doesn't get restarted for months at a time.

On 23/6/2017 at 0:47 PM, burtjr said:

I have the LN4 version of that board had the same issue and the below worked for me

1) Make a backup copy of /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg  -->  /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg_bak

2) Download latest unRAID zip file from our Downloads section

3) Extract the syslinux/syslinux.cfg from within the zip and overwrite /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

4) Reboot unRAID and try booting non-GUI mode

Another option if the above doesn't work is to start in gui mode.

On a side note this board does take a while to get through the start up.

Hmm. This isn't working for me :(

Tried to boot with and without my screen. Same error. After a while a reboot. With my screen on it was with the same timing. So after 2 OK's...

Could there be another problem? I suppose it is still software related...

Absolute first thing to check is that your memory is OK.  Run memtest at minimum for a single pass from the boot screen.  Wouldn't be the first time memory is DOA

Second thing is to ensure that the flashdrive is formatted as FAT32.  If its > 32Gig, then its a given that it's not, and you have to jump through some hoops to make it FAT32.  

After the OK's (when it is finished unpacking) does anything start scrolling on the screen?

My motherboard, cpu and memory has been assembled in the hardware store. Bios update done for the board and they claim everything is tested. So also the memory.

But to be sure I can do a test myself.  

The USB stick is coming from my previous unraid server. That one worked without problems. I just plugged this usb stick in my new server. 

My server boots. I see the unraid screen with options. Unraid boots and I see an OK and a 2nd one. After that one my server reboots. So unraid doesn't start up. 

18 minutes ago, Sphinkx said:

My motherboard, cpu and memory has been assembled in the hardware store. Bios update done for the board and they claim everything is tested. So also the memory.

To be honest, I have yet to see any store ever run diagnostics on hardware.  If it passes BIOS tests, then its good to go for them.

19 minutes ago, Sphinkx said:

My server boots. I see the unraid screen with options. Unraid boots and I see an OK and a 2nd one. After that one my server reboots. So unraid doesn't start up. 

Try a different stick and a fresh install.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Squid said:

To be honest, I have yet to see any store ever run diagnostics on hardware.  If it passes BIOS tests, then its good to go for them.

Try a different stick and a fresh install.

You have an excellent point. Will do a mem test.

Different stick/fresh install. I am still using my HD's from previous unraid. I don't want to lose that data. How can I be sure that I won't lose my shares and data created?

Your data will be fine.

Even if you start with a complete new installation, unRAID preserves your data. You need to know the current disk assignment including parity, because this needs to be re-entered.

Shares are automatically created from the top folders in your array, but will have default settings which may need to be updated.

• Upvote 1

So if the memtest is OK I just create a new stick?  I don't need copy any data from the old to the new stick?

I once had a update gone wrong.  After that I copied the new unraid version to the stick and had a fresh install. I didn't lose my data and my top folders were still present. I will have to reinstall the apps I presume. But that's not that worst that can happen :)

I use the USB 2 port for my unraid stick. USB 3 isn't used at the moment. My external HD will have more benefit on the faster speeds :)

I have been running memtest last night. No errors found. I had multiple runs. My new server was running all night. So hardware looks OK.

I have now eliminated that my RAM is the problem. Next possibility is the software on the old unraid stick. So next test I will be doing is creating a new USB stick with a fresh unraid install..  Let's hope this fixes the problem...