Sync Directories between remote servers

Has anyone tried to setup a sync (backup) of directories from one server to another remotely?  I have two servers that I'd like to setup to back critical files between them.  They are on the same host (Time Warner) but under separate accounts.  Best to use a VPN?  Special backup application?  FTP?  I'm trying NOT to get hacked! ;)

6 minutes ago, jeffreywhunter said:

Has anyone tried to setup a sync (backup)

Sync is not a backup. If corruption or accidental deletion occurs, it will be synced to the remote location. If you want the files to be identically usable at both locations, that is sync. If you want to be able to recover from corruption or deletion, that is a backup, but typically the files will be difficult or impossible to directly access at the second location to protect them.

For sync, I'd probably use VPN + rsync or some variation.

For backup, crashplan is free for site to site and works fairly well.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, jonp said:

The Sync container (formerly BTSync) has an option whereby files deleted on one system are simply moved to an archive folder on the secondary system instead.

Any version control available? Say for instance a document is edited or corrupted, can you set the sync to keep the older version for a period of time?