My First unRaid Server

Krooked

So i am building my first unRaid server and i have chosen some parts and id like to get some feedback or if i overlooked something before i pull the trigger.

MB: ASUS P10S WS, Socket-1151

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1225 V5, Socket-1151

RAM: Kingston Value DDR4 2133MHz 8GB
PSU: Corsair RM650x 650W PSU
CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Gold Edition (Wife Chosen and approved) 
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD
HDD: WD Red 4TB 3.5" NAS HDD

i have already bought other HDDS.
Edited by Krooked

It looks like a solid build, but you really need to be more specific on what you intend to do with it. If you want to run 3 Windows VMs and transcode 8 HEVC streams - this is not powerful enough. You have 4 cores and 7800 passmark. If you want to transcode 2-3 non-HEVC streams, and maybe run 1 Windows VM, you should be good.

But if you want a Windows VM, I'd up the memory to 16G so you can give 8G to Windows.

47 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

It looks like a solid build, but you really need to be more specific on what you intend to do with it. If you want to run 3 Windows VMs and transcode 8 HEVC streams - this is not powerful enough. You have 4 cores and 7800 passmark. If you want to transcode 2-3 non-HEVC streams, and maybe run 1 Windows VM, you should be good.

But if you want a Windows VM, I'd up the memory to 16G so you can give 8G to Windows.

Will be used as standard nas, download torrents, Plex with 1-2 streams And a few dockers. im willing to spend abit more if the price justify The gains. Not really sure what dockers but  id like some wiggle room to experiment

My system is very similar. Just an i5-4460. I have 7 HDDs in my array with 750GB HDD for my cache. And 3 HDDs as warm spares. With 6GB of ram (I wish I had 8GB minimum but I'm not getting any out of memory errors). My system handles 2-3 Plex transcodes and I have about 10 dockers on this system. Your system will work fine for what you want. The PSU is a little on the big side for your system, but will give you room to grow. I run my system off a 450w with about a average 100w usage with all the HDD spinning. You might not be able to expand usability without probably upping the CPU.
Hope this helps.
Wishing you all the best on your adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, BillClinton said:

My system is very similar. Just an i5-4460. I have 7 HDDs in my array with 750GB HDD for my cache. And 3 HDDs as warm spares. With 6GB of ram (I wish I had 8GB minimum but I'm not getting any out of memory errors). My system handles 2-3 Plex transcodes and I have about 10 dockers on this system. Your system will work fine for what you want. The PSU is a little on the big side for your system, but will give you room to grow. I run my system off a 450w with about a average 100w usage with all the HDD spinning. You might not be able to expand usability without probably upping the CPU.
Hope this helps.
Wishing you all the best on your adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! ill go ahead and order now :)