Unresponsive Unraid Caused by VM & Odd CPU Usage

Just encountered something that seems unusual.

Was running a single VM, no dockers, when suddenly the webui and my ssh connections to Unraid became unresponsive. I logged into the Unraid directly via the connected monitor to see what was going on.

According to htop core/thread 8 was at 100%, all other cores pretty low. Could not get webui to respond. I made sure docker wasn't running and started carefully terminating plugins etc. Nothing stopped the system being unresponsive and that one core being locked to 100% usage until I killed the running VM at which point the core went back to normal. (I then ran the powerdown script which seemed to cause an unclean shutdown but I assume that's because I was killing off stuff and might not be related).

The VM in question is xpenology 5.2 running on unassigned devices only and was set to use half my cores (4 core 4 thread cpu). The other 7 cores showed normaly 0->10% usage the whole time 8 was stuck at 100%. Uptil now my cpu usage has never hit more than about 50% on any core and the VM wasn't doing anything that would warrant high cpu usage, let alone a single thread at 100%.

Has anyone ever encountered this? Any suggestions as to why it might have happened?

(Forgot to add, I checked syslog and it showed nothing unusual)

Edited by Iormangund
23 minutes ago, 1812 said:

Isolate vm cores from unraid system cores to prevent overlap. this isn't an explanation of your problem, but a way to help possibly prevent it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a go next time I reboot the server (after the 16 hour parity check, sigh). Though I suspect that's not what the issue was.

I assume following this guide would be sufficient?