My first unRAID box

glenner

Hi!  I'm new to unRAID and about to take the plunge.  But first I need some new hardware...  I've been spec'ing out hardware for my new unRAID box. So far, I've come up with this:

1. Fractal Design Define R5 case (regular midtower takes 8 internal drives. ideally I could find or build a box that has 8 hot swappable drives from the front, but I'm not clear how best to do that, and can't easily find something.  The R5 just seems easy the path of least resistance).
  2. Intel i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz CPU
  3. ASUS PRIME B250M-C/CSM Socket 1151 Intel B250 Chipset MB
  4. 32GB RAM
  5. 2 x 256GB M.2 PCI.E SSD (for redundant cache pool)
  6. Corsair AX760 PSU (750W)
  7. 2 x 4TB WD Red (new drives) + 6 x 2TB Seagate Barracudas (my old drives)
  8. SYBA SATA III 4 Internal 6Gbps Ports PCI-e Controller Card (SI-PEX40064) - MB only support 6 SATA connection. This adds 4 more.

Does this sound about right? This is likely overkill in some areas... but I am not sure I care. I'd rather have a bit too much under the hood, then find out later I don't have enough.

Box will run unRAID /w SageTV9, Plex, Logitech Media Server, misc apps, and 1-2 Win VMs in dockers.

Any thoughts, or anything I'm missing or should do differently?     I really appreciate any feedback as I'm looking to buy all this hardware this week and start my setup.

Thanks, -glenner.

Looks about right.  I agree with miniwalks on the HBA.

The R5 is a very good case.  If you want to go with externally accessible drives, get something like an Antec 1200 and fill it with something like these:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994171&cm_re=icy_dock_vortex-_-17-994-171-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132037&cm_re=drive_cage-_-16-132-037-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215342&cm_re=drive_cage-_-16-215-342-_-Product

There are other options if you search around.

Regarding VMs and Dockers - they're separate, different ways to achieve virtualization.  Do you plan to remote into the Win10 VMs, or were you thinking of hooking up a monitor and keyboard?  If so, you'll need video cards and you'll want to check everything through for IOMMU/VT-d support.

Thanks for the feedback.  I really appreciate the insight.  I ended up going with the R5.  I like its cooling fans at the front (I will have 2 x 140mm up front) blowing air over the drives.  And it just seems like an easy setup in a high quality box.  I'll sacrifice on the front loading trays.  Looks like the drives are very accessible from inside.

I did check the SI-PEX40064.  That seems to be a valid SATA controller on the list of supported hardware here: https://wiki.lime-technology.com/Hardware_Compatibility#PCI SATA Controllers

They just had that controller in stock at the store I'm using.    I should be ok with the SI-PEX40064?

Sounds like you can setup the M.2s in either SATA or PCIe mode in the bios... if you use PCIe you get the faster speed, and it does not consume a SATA port.  That's what I'm told, at least on this ASUS Pro board I'm getting...   I wonder if most folks who have unRAID are using 2 x M.2s for cache and giving up SATA ports?  Or are they just using regular SATA SSDs for the cache?

I did go full ATX for the MB (ASUS PRIME H270-PRO Socket 1151 ATX).

I also watered down the PSU to 650W, though the thing with these is the price difference does not change much if you downgrade the wattage a bit.  These Corsairs power down the fan when the PSU is running at low load, so it helps in my mind if you overkill a bit here (with noise, MTBF, etc...)?  I've updated my specs as below and now ordered these parts... Though I can still make changes if needed:

1. Fractal Design Define R5 case 
  2. Intel i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz CPU
  3. ASUS PRIME H270-PRO Socket 1151 ATX
  4. 2 x Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCI.E SSD (redundant cache pool)
  5. Corsair RM650x 80Plus Gold PSU (650W)
  6. 2 x 4TB WD Red (new drives) + 6 x 2TB Seagate Barracudas (my old drives)
  7. SYBA SATA III 4 Internal 6Gbps Ports PCI-e Controller Card (SI-PEX40064) - MB only supports 6 SATA connection. This adds 4 more for a total of 10.

Edited by glenner
8 minutes ago, glenner said:

I did check the SI-PEX40064.  That seems to be a valid SATA controller on the list of supported hardware here: https://wiki.lime-technology.com/Hardware_Compatibility#PCI SATA Controllers

The wiki is a little outdated. Yes, it will probably work for basic drive access, however some people have issues with marvell based controllers when used with virtual machines, to the point that it's necessary to disable the ability to run VM's to get the controller to be stable.

That's why people are recommending LSI based controllers instead.

Hmm.. I see.  I definitely need to minimize any headaches, and I do want to run VMs.  Can you recommend a particular LSI controller?  Which one would be the most cost effective (ie. cheap?).  I'm already over my budget on this box. :-)   I can buy one separately and install that instead...  Thanks!

So something like this (Dell PERC H310) would work much better for me?  These LSI controllers seem to be a bit pricey some of them...   

But this one looks legit...  Ideally I can find one a little more local (ie. in Canada).  

Folks are buying these Dell controllers on ebay for their unRAIDs?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-PERC-H310-Adapter-8-Port-6Gb-s-SAS-RAID-Controller-0HV52W-/131946453834?hash=item1eb89f1b4a:g:T6sAAOSwPCVX4omg

1 minute ago, glenner said:

Ideally I can find one a little more local (ie. in Canada).  

Try checking out Calgary Computer Wholesale's ebay store.  They've got a nice selection of Perc H200's and H310's.  All used of course, but cheap.  I just got a H200 from them for $20 + $19 shipping.

12 minutes ago, glenner said:

canadacomputers.com

Expensive.  Use newegg.ca   Only thing I every buy at CC is hard drives, even if they're more.  Don't like shipping them, and less aggravation to return if they're DOA

9 minutes ago, glenner said:

But so do I need special cables for this?   This uses regular SATA cables?

You're going to use "8087 Forward Breakout cables" (1 cable supports 4 drives).  Do not buy a reverse breakout, and don't buy one that's only labelled as a breakout.

Thanks!  Really appreciate the tips on the SATA controller.  I'll procure an H200 and the breakout cables....

I did a check of my parts list on newegg.ca vs CC.  Maybe CC is better than it used to be?   For my particular build, believe it or not, CC is cheaper or the same as newegg.ca.  Interesting...

For the most part, I felt I needed some human advice on this one... so I went into the store and got some "full service" help.  But yes, feel better now I checked all their prices.

CPU, case, memory, (G.skill Aegis 32GB), PSU... all a bit cheaper at CC online/instore vs. newegg online.  Looks like I saved about $100+ total on those 4 components.  The rest of the stuff is the exact same price.   The bonus is if anything is not working or incompatible.. I can easily run the parts back to the store.

Thanks!!. -glenner.