HDD failed with HUGE write count

Hi. after being on a vacation with my unraid box turned on 24/7 today i've noticed that one of the data HDD was put in a disabled state. there were 187 errors on the Main tab in UI. Also, what was surprising is that the write count on this drive was very huge. i'm talking about very big number like 18,000,000,000,000,000 or even more zeroes. Unfortunately, i've stopped/starter the array w/o taking the screenshot before and that counters were zeroed out.

I have a question - why did i have such a big number of writes for this HDD? i assume that because of this HUGE number of writes the drive has failed.

attaching the diag file.

Please help to identify the root cause.

tower-diagnostics-20170619-1516.zip

56 minutes ago, Vova said:

I have a question - why did i have such a big number of writes for this HDD?

That huge number is the result of the disk dropping offline, not the cause, unfortunately your syslog is filled with:

Jun 18 10:40:02 Tower kernel: aacraid 0000:08:0e.0: AAC0:aac_check_health: Host adapter dead -1
Jun 18 10:40:03 Tower kernel: aacraid 0000:08:0e.0: AAC0:aac_check_health: Host adapter dead -1

so we can't see what happened, but SMART looks fine so check/replace cables and rebuild to the same disk.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:10 PM, johnnie.black said:

It's easy to confirm by using the disk in a different backplane, unless there's a general problem with the server/controller.

so, i've attached this drive to another port of the same controller, not via the backplane but via standard SATA cable. 

B120i has 6 SATA ports (https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/gethtml.aspx?docname=c04168333). 4 of them are connected to the backplane, and 1 is available as a separate one. 

After this i've initiated rebuild of the failed drive. rebuild succeeded.

Should i assume that the backplane is faulty? is there a solid way to verify this assumption?

Thanks for the time you spend to help us here!

Edited by Vova