unRAID prefers full over free Drive (Solved)

So I've got most of my shares set to the Allocation Method 'Most Free' but unRAID keeps writing to my 2TB drive which only has a couple of KB left up to the point where MC will give me errors when editing files moving/editing files on the array saying that there isn't any space left, although I've still got another disk which has over 3.5TB of free space. 

Here's a screenshot of one of my Share settings and a screenshot of the 'Main' Tab

bobby-diagnostics-20170619-1915.zip

Edited by Tin
Added Diagnostics File
24 minutes ago, Tin said:

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this ? 

I think you are going to have to provide the exact path for a file you think is going to the wrong disk, and also the share settings for that specific share.  The easiest way to do this is to provide the Diagnostics zip file  (Tools->Diagnostics) as it includes this information amongst other items useful to those trying to diagnose problems.

A point to note is that if you have set the Split Level in your share settings this will over-ride the allocation method setting in the case of a conflict.

34 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I think you are going to have to provide the exact path for a file you think is going to the wrong disk, and also the share settings for that specific share.  The easiest way to do this is to provide the Diagnostics zip file  (Tools->Diagnostics) as it includes this information amongst other items useful to those trying to diagnose problems.

A point to note is that if you have set the Split Level in your share settings this will over-ride the allocation method setting in the case of a conflict.

I've included a Diagnostics file (yes I named my Server Bobby). 

The split level is set to 'Automatically split any directory as required' on all shares, so that shouldn't cause any problems. 

bobby-diagnostics-20170619-1915.zip

Cannot see off-hand why files are going to the wrong disk.     However you will want to set the Minimum Frees space to something larger than zero.   A good value is something like twice the size of the largest file you want to copy.   That should at least stop the case of unRAID starting to write a file to a disk and then finding it runs out of space for the file during the copy.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Cannot see off-hand why files are going to the wrong disk.     However you will want to set the Minimum Frees space to something larger than zero.   A good value is something like twice the size of the largest file you want to copy.   That should at least stop the case of unRAID starting to write a file to a disk and then finding it runs out of space for the file during the copy.

Just did that. 

I can see one share seems to have a split level of 0. The unraid manual says:

c) 0 (zero) = everything for that User Share is kept on one disk, but system chooses which disk. Later you can add more disk(s) to the share by explicitly creating a share name folder on those disk(s).

This is the share called process. Suggest checking that one. 

Whilst I'm not an expert in unraid, it looks to me like anything written to share "process" will always get written on disk 1. The syslog errors indicate multiple errors in writing files into the "process" share on disk 1 due to lack of space.

Edited by PeteB
  • Upvote 1
On 20.6.2017 at 9:06 AM, PeteB said:

I can see one share seems to have a split level of 0. The unraid manual says:

c) 0 (zero) = everything for that User Share is kept on one disk, but system chooses which disk. Later you can add more disk(s) to the share by explicitly creating a share name folder on those disk(s).

This is the share called process. Suggest checking that one. 

Whilst I'm not an expert in unraid, it looks to me like anything written to share "process" will always get written on disk 1. The syslog errors indicate multiple errors in writing files into the "process" share on disk 1 due to lack of space.

Thanks for taking the time to look through my diagnostics file. 

Just checked and it's set to 'Automatically split directories', could've been different in the past though. 

I moved some of the files from disk1 to disk2 manually and rebooted the server and everything seems to be working perfectly fine now.