Questions on transitioning to Ryzen

Endda

I remember reading that there were some kinks that needed to be resolved, but I was curious how things were now.

I currently have an i5 in my unRAID build and have just started tinkering with a VM for MCEBuddy. Since it's only 4 cores, I dedicate 2 to the VM and 2 to unRAID. Things seem to be okay so far, but of course it would be nice to have more than 2 cores for Windows 10.

So I'm curious about if Ryzen is good for unRAID now. I don't need any fancy passthrough for video cards, but I do have two SATA controller cards that I currently use and would need to transfer to the new mobo.

I would also like to ask how hard/easy would it be to transition to the Ryzen setup (if Ryzen is working well). Would it be as easy as just swapping out motherboard/CPU/cards? Or would the unRAID flashdrive/install not work from a straight transfer like that? 

I have been looking into that also, from the googling I've done it seems that there are still quite a lot of teething problems. Main issue appears to be with IOMMU, so if you aren't going to use that you might be okay. What I am doing is waiting till threadripper (naples) is properly released and seeing what price point they are at and if it changes the current ryzen market at all. Also by then there might be some better motherboards out.