new build advice

hi

i want to build a new rig mainly for storage and maybe a couple of docks.

my actual build is for plex and will stay only for plex. I will connect the new pc directly with 1go ethernet.

Rig 1 Dell t3500 1x xeon 24 go ram win 10 ssd for boot. + 1gbits ethernet card for the new pc.

Future build

Case: corsair 750d + 2 additionnal hdd cage

Cpu: i3 or i5 gen 7

16 or 32 go ram ddr4

2x lsi pci express it mode 8x

Psu: corsair rmx850 full modular

motherboard: asrock z270 killer sli/ac

My questions are :

* do you think all component will be compatible for unraid.

* since i'm not going to do vm on this computer i3 would be enough ? also for ram

* Also would lsi it mode 8x would fit with this motherboard ?

Hdd:

1x 4To parity maybe 2 ?

4x 4To

Ssd:

2x 240Go cache

Usb key

sandisk cruiser boot unraid

thank

i'm open to any suggestion.

Envoyé de mon Pixel XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Hello and welcome!

I don't have direct experience with that motherboard, but I can offer some general answers:

* do you think all component will be compatible for unraid.  Yes, they should work.

* since i'm not going to do vm on this computer i3 would be enough ? also for ram An i3 is fine for a basic NAS with a few Dockers.  You mentioned Plex though.  Do you want this machine to support Plex transcoding?  How many streams?  Also, you could probably do this build with 8GB of RAM.  16GB is fine, but honestly 32GB would be overkill.

* Also would lsi it mode 8x would fit with this motherboard ? They should be compatible with that motherboard.  If your question is whether it will fit physically without any obstructions, I'm not sure.  That happens, but rarely.

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome!

I don't have direct experience with that motherboard, but I can offer some general answers:

* do you think all component will be compatible for unraid.  Yes, they should work.

* since i'm not going to do vm on this computer i3 would be enough ? also for ram An i3 is fine for a basic NAS with a few Dockers.  You mentioned Plex though.  Do you want this machine to support Plex transcoding?  How many streams?  Also, you could probably do this build with 8GB of RAM.  16GB is fine, but honestly 32GB would be overkill.

* Also would lsi it mode 8x would fit with this motherboard ? They should be compatible with that motherboard.  If your question is whether it will fit physically without any obstructions, I'm not sure.  That happens, but rarely.

hi thk for the anwser.

plex transcoding will be operate by my actual dell t3500 wich is working great.

my only concern is that should i plug the new nas directly in my t3500 so i will have faster result with 1gbits external card ?

thx

I wouldn't.  The standard configuration is that you would plug both the unRAID NAS and the Dell T3500 into your switch/router and let it make the connection between them, that should work fine.  If you have multiple switches I'd try to have them both on the same one.

I wouldn't.  The standard configuration is that you would plug both the unRAID NAS and the Dell T3500 into your switch/router and let it make the connection between them, that should work fine.  If you have multiple switches I'd try to have them both on the same one.

cool thank you :)

hi i got another question if i dont want to put my unraid server accessible from the internet. i can i do that ?

thx

The unRAID Trial license requires that your server have access to the Internet to start the array.

The unRAID regular licenses do not require internet access to start the array.

It's generally recommended that your unRAID server be on your local home network, and that you do not allow inbound traffic from the internet through your router.  If you need to allow inbound traffic you should consider specific applications that allow it like Plex, or implement a VPN.  unRAID is not by default bullet proof enough to expose directly to the internet.