Interesting new server from HP - Microserver Gen10

https://www.servethehome.com/new-hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-powered-amd-opteron-x3000-apus/

New Gen10 Microserver on it's way.  Looks like it'll be the form factor as the Gen8, but without the nonsense RAID and iLO that plagued the Gen8 and made it grumpy to use in unRAID.  HP have listened and produced an AMD-based Microserver that Just Works(tm) like the original old N36L/N40L/N54L machines.

The Gen10 uses the Marvell 88SE9230 for SATA controller, and Broadcom dual port NIC, so by the look of it, it'll work straight off with unRAID.  Even has a USB port inside. :)

Edited by HellDiverUK
Just now, jonathanm said:

Marvell is a bad word for some people on here. Dropped drives, all sorts of issues. Hopefully this implementation is unraid friendly.

Only if you buy a shitty Chinese Marvell-based card with ancient firmware.  Decent implementations work fine - my Supermicro X10SBA has a Marvell controller on it, and it has got firmware updates a few times.  I've never had any issues with that chipset.

It's the same with Realtek NICs - they work fine given the correct driver and firmware.  Yes, there's more CPU cycles used compared to Intel or the likes, but they're as stable in my experience.  

For example, my spare unRAID box is an Athlon 5350 AM1 based machine (MSI AM1I), which has a Realtek 8111GR NIC and a Marvell 9230 SATA controller (on a Startech card), and I use it for full backups of my main unRAID box, and it's seen 10TB copied at a time.  Yes, TB.  Never any stability issues.

7 hours ago, HellDiverUK said:

Friends don't let friends buy AsRock boards.  

I've had a lot of AsRock boards over the years, and they've all either been DOA, died after a month or so, or just plain junk.  Waste of time and money on the whole.

Other than the Marvel controller no problems at all.

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2017 at 4:59 AM, zulu369 said:

Yes, I have the Gen10 running Unraid 6.0.1, with extra drive bays attached via 2 Startech.com PCI Express eSata Controller cards. All running smoothly so far.

Can you share your drive config?  I was under the impression i could fit 5 3.5 disks inside and an ssd for caching.

On 10/14/2017 at 4:59 AM, zulu369 said:

Yes, I have the Gen10 running Unraid 6.0.1, with extra drive bays attached via 2 Startech.com PCI Express eSata Controller cards. All running smoothly so far.

im up and running.  i had some issues with the recommended sandisk thumb drive. ended up going with a pny i had lying around.  would you mind sharing the exact model of the pcie raid card?  I'd like to purchase one as well and add a 2tb 2.5 inch drive to my array.

I've just brought a gen10 and can't get Unraid to boot from the USB aswell. Do you have some good advices to get it to work?

EDIT: In bios, you have to enable "Legacy only" and it will work. 

Spend severel hours before it worked.

Tonight I'll try the Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32gb and see if it will work. 

I've used a Kingston USB 3.0 8gb yesterday..

Edited by Atrium
  • 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:29 PM, Atrium said:

I've just brought a gen10 and can't get Unraid to boot from the USB aswell. Do you have some good advices to get it to work?

EDIT: In bios, you have to enable "Legacy only" and it will work. 

Spend severel hours before it worked.

Tonight I'll try the Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32gb and see if it will work. 

I've used a Kingston USB 3.0 8gb yesterday..

I ended up just going with the next usb drive I had laying around and it worked fine.  after about a month of usage I wasn't too happy with the cpu performance while running multiple plex streams and decided to sell it.  I repurposed an older i5 pc I had at home and am much happier with my decision.