An IT guy that doesn't like RAID

bdillahu

Well, I just "joined the club" and purchased my license... where has unRAID been hiding all these years?

I've done (and do) Linux, Macs and Windows (always say people have to pay me to work on Windows - that's the day job).

Never have liked RAID - the fact that I can't pull a drive out and access the data elsewhere scares me. I've had more friends lose data due to RAID issues than hard drive issues. unRAID is the "best of both worlds" as far as my use case is concerned...

Of course I'm also terribly paranoid about backups also.

Anyhow, found LimeTech and tried the trial... new from about day two I would be buying it :-)

Thanks!

Edited by bdillahu
1 minute ago, kizer said:

You can buy a Sata Controller card that runs off a PCI slot. lol

My MotherBoard only supports 6, but with an Expansion card I have 8 Additional drives for a total of 14 Drives. 

Thanks... yeah, I know I could do the controller card route, and might, but this seems a good excuse to upgrade :-)

Just makes sure you put in a little research to which card would suit your needs the best. My card works well with my particular setup, but some say it doesn't with theirs. 

Lots of options just take some time and have fun with it all. :D

Just makes sure you put in a little research to which card would suit your needs the best. My card works well with my particular setup, but some say it doesn't with theirs. 
Lots of options just take some time and have fun with it all. 

Been researching cards myself. So many options and not sure which would work. Really just trying to add two ports or maybe 4 if two are external. The little Dell T20 I have has 4 ports on board but supports 6 for mounting/power.

I as well have a T20 sitting on a shelf. Bought it for a steal. One problem with the T20 is it will need an adapter if you want to drop in a new Power Supply, but you can get that off Amazon for around 14 Bucks since it uses a proprietary Dell power supply and the mother board isn't standard of course. The big reason I'd drop in a new power supply is if I recall its only around 290 Watts Total. Also the T20 doesn't appear to have the best air flow so it could be limiting. 

What I do like about the T20 is the Xeon 1225 Processor. I dropped a file into my Athlon setup and it reported HandBrake would take nearly 2 hours. The Xeon reported it would take 45 Minutes and my Jaw dropped. Lol

I'm pretty sure if you search for T20 you'll come up with some pretty interesting builds here too. 

2 hours ago, digiblur said:

Been researching cards myself. So many options and not sure which would work. Really just trying to add two ports or maybe 4 if two are external. The little Dell T20 I have has 4 ports on board but supports 6 for mounting/power.

Not sure if this would work in your MB but I picked up a couple of these last year off ebay for $15-$20 each, one for each server, and so far they work well, just plug and play.

Adaptec (1430SA) 4-Port SATA PCI-E x4

I as well have a T20 sitting on a shelf. Bought it for a steal. One problem with the T20 is it will need an adapter if you want to drop in a new Power Supply, but you can get that off Amazon for around 14 Bucks since it uses a proprietary Dell power supply and the mother board isn't standard of course. The big reason I'd drop in a new power supply is if I recall its only around 290 Watts Total. Also the T20 doesn't appear to have the best air flow so it could be limiting. 

What I do like about the T20 is the Xeon 1225 Processor. I dropped a file into my Athlon setup and it reported HandBrake would take nearly 2 hours. The Xeon reported it would take 45 Minutes and my Jaw dropped. Lol

I'm pretty sure if you search for T20 you'll come up with some pretty interesting builds here too. 

Yes, I took a hole saw to the side of my T20 and it has a Noctua 120mm with a grill blowing in air right at the front as I did have hard drive heat issues. Great little box though so far. Have 4 6TB reds in it with 24 gig of ram. I would like to add another 6 TB along with a good size cache drive.