(USA) WD Easystore 8TB External $180 @ Best Buy + FS

Drives can easily hit 50-55C+ preclearing in a USB enclosure box. If you're going to preclear them like that, blow a fan on them! It still may not cool them sufficiently, but better than nothing. Preclearing in an oven does more harm than good! Even if they come out clean, you may have significantly affected their useful life.

Yup, it's over :(

But I nabbed 2 online and they shucked no problem with 4 pieces from my old PayPal debit card and my fingernails without a tb broke that I I can tell.  I'm not going to snap it back together to test to be sure.  Took my drobo5N (6+6+8+3+3) 40 hours to rebuild but it's happy. :)

The second drive is going into the open spot in unraid server plus

@TinkerToyTech

On 7/31/2017 at 5:47 PM, TinkerToyTech said:

Yup, it's over :(

But I nabbed 2 online and they shucked no problem with 4 pieces from my old PayPal debit card and my fingernails without a tb broke that I I can tell.  I'm not going to snap it back together to test to be sure.  Took my drobo5N (6+6+8+3+3) 40 hours to rebuild but it's happy. :)

The second drive is going into the open spot in unraid server plus

@TinkerToyTech

Ok, I put a fan on my other 8tb drive I purchased and ran a preclear, but it appears to be 'stuck'at 99% of its out of server still in the enclosure status before I start tearing things apart and putting this drive into the unraid, what do you think?  is it safe to keep/use this drive?

############################################################################################################################
#                                                                                                                          #
#                                         unRAID Server Preclear of disk 3753474A45424543                                  #
#                                       Cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64.                                        #
#                                                                                                                          #
#   Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read verification:                                                  [14:56:02 @ 148 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 2 of 5 - Zeroing the disk:                                                       [14:47:20 @ 150 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 3 of 5 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                          SUCCESS    #
#   Step 4 of 5 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                        SUCCESS    #
#   Step 5 of 5 - Post-Read in progress:                                                                     (99% Done)    #
#   ** Time elapsed: 14:53:01 | Current speed: 149 MB/s | Average speed: 149 MB/s                                          #
############################################################################################################################
#                              Cycle elapsed time: 44:36:24 | Total elapsed time: 44:36:24                                 #

Edited by TinkerToyTech
added preclear status info text
7 hours ago, jtech007 said:

Price back down to $169.99

LOL - follow the bouncing ball! This drive has had so many different prices at Best Buy that it makes one's head spin.  Actually, I think that is how they price it.  They have a bunch of prices on a wheel and they spin it each week to determine that week's price.  I have seen it at $299.99, $279.99, $249.99, $199.99, $179.99, $169.99 and $159.99.  I got all mine at $179.99 and now I feel ripped off! :)

So I can shed a little bit of light on why the price bounces around so quickly. The wholesale cost of the drives is $159.00. If they're at $159.99, they're using them as essentially a loss leader and making a grand total of $1.00 of profit off of the drive (likely actually losing money because of associated costs with transport, storage, labor, etc.). They put them on sale frequently because they have access to a rather large supply of them, and they're exclusively provided to Best Buy (the whole easystore line is a BBY exclusive they negotiated with WD) at low wholesale cost because BBY at this point stocks almost exclusively WD drives, at least in stores.

Also someone asked above if there is any way to tell from the outside packaging whether the drive inside is a WD80EFZX with 128mb cache, or a WD80EFAX with 256mb cache. Short answer: there is, and I've only seen one report of it being inaccurate. If you flip the box over, on the underside with the barcodes it should say Manufactured in Thailand or Manufactured in China. The Thailand drives are the 256mb variant, Chinese variant is the 128mb variant.

Also, if you purchase a drive and it's within the 15 day return period, you can still price match the new sale price so long as it's not an hourly sale (yes that's a thing) or during Thanksgiving weekend (Thurs-Mon). In-store you'd just take in your receipt and speak to customer service, online is a little bit trickier but you can do so by contacting the corporate 1-888-BEST-BUY phone number.

• Upvote 2
21 hours ago, Cel said:

Also someone asked above if there is any way to tell from the outside packaging whether the drive inside is a WD80EFZX with 128mb cache, or a WD80EFAX with 256mb cache. Short answer: there is, and I've only seen one report of it being inaccurate. If you flip the box over, on the underside with the barcodes it should say Manufactured in Thailand or Manufactured in China. The Thailand drives are the 256mb variant, Chinese variant is the 128mb variant.

I bought three from BB four months ago.  Two boxes say "product of Thailand"; the other says China.  The identification string in unRAID reports all three as WD80EFZX drives.

This does not change the fact that these are great drives at a great price, but, in my case, country of origin does not seem to have any bearing on the model number/cache size.  Maybe this only applies to recently (as in the last two/three months) manufactured drives.

Edited by Hoopster