Xeon e3 vs core i7

Hey all. Im new to the forums. I'm planning on building an unraid server essentially just for plex. I will be using the asrock c236 wsi motherboard. The board supports both Xeon and home based processors. I'd like to be at a pass mark close to 10,000. I was debating whether I should use the new Xeon e3 Kaby lake processor, The e3 1245v6 with unregistered ecc ram or should I go with the i7 7700 with regular non ecc ram. Your input and advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, tdallen said:

Kaby Lake has some advantages for 4K video 

Unless he's passing through the iGPU to a VM and then using Plex as a client, there will be zero advantage.  Plex doesn't use the iGPU for transcoding (yet).

Besides, you're recommending Kaby Lake as the choice when he's asking if he should get a Kaby Lake i7 or a Kaby Lake Xeon.  So, your recommendation is totally pointless.  It's like someone asking if they should buy a Ford Focus or a Ford Fusion, and you respond saying he should buy a Ford...

You're not doing very well, are you?

Well you're right, it was silly of me to assume that 7700 was Skylake without looking it up.  Nevertheless, my recommendation stands and I feel it has relevance to the OP - Kaby Lake support for 4K HEVC encoding/decoding at 10-bit depths will be useful at some point and ECC makes sense in an always-on, fault tolerant server.

If you wouldn't mind keeping your public posts to things that are relevant to the OP, I'd appreciate it.  Please feel free to publicly correct my mistakes - I deserve it sometimes.  But your editorial comments about my posting would be more appropriate in a PM.

• Upvote 1