[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan

Honestly between changing settings, trying different things I got it to work on one of my machines, but I don't know which settings worked and what didn't. Lol

It said it backed up 40 files which was a test group of text files, but it appeared to work late at night and I kept trying to force it to run "NOW" to make sure it would work and it never did except at night. What I did see is it would say. "Waiting for connection" Not sure if that is normal or if that is an indication of a problem. So I don't have any idea what actually made it work and was keeping it from working. My frustration was trying to get it setup and watch it work so I knew it worked so I could deploy it on a few machines at the house.

I think what I'll do soon is do a fresh install, select some fresh files on one of my machines and do a little patience test and see if it just works without my intervention.

I'm new to dockers, so I'm slowly getting the hang of them. The first docker I installed was this one as I wanted to move the backup process to the server to get backed up instead of on my main machine. Seemed a better use of time/tech/etc Anyway. I can't seem to get Crashplan docker to see the internet... or at least when I try to log in to my existing Crashplan account it keeps telling me "Unable to connect, check your network." I am typing the email and password in correctly. I also tried setting up a new account just for giggles to see if it was something I was doing. [It probably still is something I did, I just can't figure out what.]

I gave up, got another docker running after fiddling with the volume mapping that it didn't automatically create, and now I've come back to Crashplan and still can't figure out how to get past the login screen. I'm assuming it's a network issue. Network type is Bridge and Privileged is of which seems right since that's how they came setup. I'm tempted to delete the crashplan docker and reinstall to see if that helps. 

There is 1 error in the log for Crashplan which I'm wondering if it might be the flag I should be paying attention to. I'm fairly certain Unraid has access to the internet since it download the dockers and checks for updates without issue.

24/06/2017 14:36:50 http_connections: turning on http service.
24/06/2017 14:36:50 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5800
24/06/2017 14:36:50 URL http://2c1d0a914235:5800
24/06/2017 14:36:50 rfbListenOnTCP6Port error in getaddrinfo: Unrecognized service

The URL has me wondering why it is a funky hex number (or so I assume), but I can get into the docker with the webgui or with a vnc client. Crashplan just appears to not be able to talk to the outside world. 

Help would be appreciated. If you need more info, please let me know. I'm stumped on what it might be. 

--------- Follow up....

Looking at the log file in the appdata/Crashplan folder I see this in the app.log which makes me wonder if I need to set something somewhere for the actual localhost it is suppose to be using. (though then the vnc connection shouldn't work if it wasn't correct. That IP is definitely not correct for my setup.

***************************************************************************************************
SYSTEM (network, memory, disk, etc)
***************************************************************************************************
localHostAddress = 172.17.0.3
Edited by tnorman

I removed Crashplan, deleted the folder in the app folder and reboot the server. Then reinstalled Crashplan. I used TightVNC, which seemed to have better performance than the webgui, and was able to log in without an issue. Not sure why it worked. But it worked. 

22 hours ago, tnorman said:

There is 1 error in the log for Crashplan which I'm wondering if it might be the flag I should be paying attention to. I'm fairly certain Unraid has access to the internet since it download the dockers and checks for updates without issue.

24/06/2017 14:36:50 http_connections: turning on http service.
24/06/2017 14:36:50 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5800
24/06/2017 14:36:50 URL http://2c1d0a914235:5800
24/06/2017 14:36:50 rfbListenOnTCP6Port error in getaddrinfo: Unrecognized service

Since IPv6 is not supported on unRAID, the container cant't bind to an IPv6 interface, which is not really a problem.

22 minutes ago, tnorman said:

I removed Crashplan, deleted the folder in the app folder and reboot the server. Then reinstalled Crashplan. I used TightVNC, which seemed to have better performance than the webgui, and was able to log in without an issue. Not sure why it worked. But it worked. 

This is the suggestion I would have done.  Removing and re-installing the container make sure your template has the proper default.  For example, playing with the networking mode can affects port mappings, something that is not obvious to see when you edit the template.

Note that you could simply re-install the container, without removing your app folder.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Note that you could simply re-install the container, without removing your app folder.

Being new to dockers I was thinking the config files would be in there. I only removed the crashplan folder from the app folder. Figured better safe than sorry. Thank you for the quick feedback!

• 2 weeks later...
In summary:
  • Based on Alpine Linux.
  • Container size if very small (158MB instead of 325MB).
  • Nice, mobile-friendly web UI to access CrashPlan's interface.
  • Container log without misleading errors.
  • Actively supported.

Is the UI different from gfjardims?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Personally, I think this docker is more stable. I was having issues before with the docker unexpectedly stopping and this one has been rock-solid. Time will tell of course :)

One thing, I don't think the Crashplan de-dupe worked when switching between the two dockers. I'm pretty sure Crashplan is re-uploading my entire backup set, even though I've left the old Missing paths in the backup set, as per jlesage's instructions. There are a lot of files that it seems to skip over, but there's also a lot that it Sends. But that's OK, it will finish eventually :)

J

No matter what I do, I can't get this to log me in to my account. I keep getting a message that "The information you entered is incorrect." I've verified credentials about 20 times now to verify they're right, I've uninstall, reinstalled, rebooted, and everything else I could think of, but no luck.

Here's the log for the login attempt (which don't appear to show anything useful). Any other thoughts on where I should be looking?

[07.08.17 15:03:49.946 INFO  91517_AUTH-2 backup42.service.peer.Authorizer] AUTH:: *** START *** with Authorizer@558340868[ LOGIN, username=***, passwordExists=true]
[07.08.17 15:03:49.947 INFO  91517_AUTH-2 backup42.service.peer.Authorizer] AUTH:: Authority address: central.crashplan.com/216.17.8.8
[07.08.17 15:03:49.947 INFO  91517_AUTH-2 backup42.service.peer.Authorizer] AUTH:: Getting auth rules. CPCAuthRulesRequestMessage@796946780[ login=true, username=***, registrationKey= ]
[07.08.17 15:03:50.041 INFO  91517_AUTH-2 backup42.service.peer.Authorizer] AUTH:: AuthorizeRules [ldap=false, minPasswordLength=5, usernameIsAnEmail=true, deferredAllowed=false]
[07.08.17 15:03:50.051 INFO  91517_AUTH-2 backup42.service.peer.Authorizer] AUTH:: CPCLoginMessage@892382495[ guid=803293221678268920, productVersion=4.8.3, username=***, password=true, register=false, registrationKey=, orgType=CONSUMER, computerType=COMPUTER, address=172.17.0.2:4242, computerName = 2e64ad75ff19, dataKeyChecksum = a78ed252b6a36941b996ad77c9c1039f, configDate=null, socialNetworkDate=0, challengeResponse=false, externalAuthenticatorSessionId=null, securityKeyType=AccountPassword ]
[07.08.17 15:03:51.092 INFO  91517_AUTH-2 backup42.service.peer.Authorizer] AUTH:: CPCLoginResponseMessage@-68208812[remoteId=136962048763636368, session=803293369535873528, remoteGuid=42, errors=Login.FAILED]
[07.08.17 15:03:51.093 INFO  91517_AUTH-2 backup42.service.peer.Authorizer] AUTH:: Error = CPErrors.Login.FAILED : []
[07.08.17 15:03:51.096 INFO  91517_AUTH-2 backup42.service.peer.Authorizer] AUTH:: Send login response to the UI. LoginResponseMessage@1941918223[ session=803293236442219000, errors=[CPErrors.Login.FAILED : []] ]{}
[07.08.17 15:03:51.096 INFO  91517_AUTH-2 backup42.service.ui.UIController] UserActionResponse: LoginResponseMessage@1941918223[ session=803293236442219000, errors=[CPErrors.Login.FAILED : []] ]{}
[07.08.17 15:03:51.098 INFO  91517_AUTH-2 backup42.service.peer.Authorizer] AUTH:: *** END *** Failed after 1sec
[07.08.17 15:06:19.499 INFO  DefaultGroup .code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup] PG::DefaultGroup DONE Managing connected remote peers. numConnected=1, numFailedConnectedCheck=0, duration(ms)=6

• 2 weeks later...

I really like that this Docker watches the CrashPlan logs and sends a notification if it finds an error. Thank you for implementing that!

I'm trying to figure out how to test it, but I don't want to reduce the amount of RAM just to see what happens :) Is there a no-risk way to test this? Perhaps could it send a notification whenever the docker starts?

--

One other thought - could there be an option to set the container's web/vnc ports via environment variables? That should work even if the container is loaded in host mode.

Thank you for this docker.  In all fairness, I haven't used the other Crashplan docker to compare, but this one is really nice and works really well.  It's good to be back on Crashplan.  I used to use it back in the 5.x days with plugins that were a pain to install and then when there was an update, you would be lucky to get it working again.  Finally, it just wasn't worth continuing with it.  Especially since I was running it on (4) servers and (8) clients, no cloud storage.

One thing I noticed I couldn't do (or figure out) was to seed a backup to an external HDD.  I usually start off this way and then take it to my offsite server to get the backup going.  Anyway to do this?  I mounted the external drive as a user share, but it seemed like the docker wouldn't allow me to save the settings once I picked it.

Anyhow, great job and thanks for sharing.

Edited by icon123
12 hours ago, ljm42 said:

I'm trying to figure out how to test it, but I don't want to reduce the amount of RAM just to see what happens :) Is there a no-risk way to test this? Perhaps could it send a notification whenever the docker starts?

You could just append a message to the CrashPlan's log file that would trigger the notification.  For example:

echo "OutOfMemoryError occurred...RESTARTING!" >> /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlan/log/service.log.0

Make sure to update to the latest version, as I did some fixes related to unRAID notifications.

12 hours ago, ljm42 said:

One other thought - could there be an option to set the container's web/vnc ports via environment variables? That should work even if the container is loaded in host mode

Since in general it's better to use the bridge mode, I think it's not worth adding complexity to support host mode.  However, you could achieve it by using the existing X11VNC_EXTRA_OPTS variable.  For example:

X11VNC_EXTRA_OPTS=-rfbport 7800

sets the VNC port to 7800 and web port to 7700.

3 hours ago, icon123 said:

Thank you for this docker.  In all fairness, I haven't used the other Crashplan docker to compare, but this one is really nice and works really well.  It's good to be back on Crashplan.  I used to use it back in the 5.x days with plugins that were a pain to install and then when there was an update, you would be lucky to get it working again.  Finally, it just wasn't worth continuing with it.  Especially since I was running it on (4) servers and (8) clients, no cloud storage.

One thing I noticed I couldn't do (or figure out) was to seed a backup to an external HDD.  I usually start off this way and then take it to my offsite server to get the backup going.  Anyway to do this?  I mounted the external drive as a user share, but it seemed like the docker wouldn't allow me to save the settings once I picked it.

Anyhow, great job and thanks for sharing.

I never tried this kind of scenario, but I think you need the "Unsassigned Devices" plugin to mount your external HDD.  Is it what you did?

Then, in container settings, you need to add a "Path".  Your disk should be under '/mnt/disks/'.  I think the mode should be RO/Slave or RW/Slave for unassigned devices.