Quick Question On VM

I'm currently running Ubuntu 16 as my main OS with Win 7 available on the same machine via dual boot for gaming. My current system is custom built and four years old. It's still good, but I'm looking at a replacement machine and am not 100% sure which way to go. OK, I'm posting here so I'm leaning towards UnRaid, but I need second opinions. I've got a strong background in commercial VMWare server products, but never used UnRaid before.  

I've been looking at a RyZen 1800X, ASUS Crosshair Hero MB combo using GTX 980Ti and TitanX-P video cards. I can't dual boot because of Win 7 compatibility issues with RyZen and I'm not getting Win10. I have two choices for how I want the OS's set up. 

a) UnRaid with separate Ubuntu 16 VM and Win 7 VM  that I can bring up as needed. 

b) Native Ubuntu 16 OS with Win 7 VM, (probably running on a VMWare Workstation Pro client.)

The primary use of the Win 7 VM would be gaming. I can do everything else on the Linux side. Gaming (honestly just one game) is the last holdover for keeping Windows. I do use an HTC Vive for VR as well. 

From what I can see I'll lose a few % for VM overhead either way, but should be acceptable on the multi-core RyZen CPU. So which way would you go, and why?

I know there are some issues with RyZen, but I'm a long term planner and know they will be solved eventually. 

Thanks. 

Hi @shadragon welcome to the unRAID forums :)

You can't go wrong using unRAID for what you want. Its tried and test using KVM gaming machines and very easy to pass through the hardware needed.

You will find plenty of support here and a very friendly community.

I have 2 gaming VMS on my rig. One passing a 1080 the other passing a 750ti then steaming that to my children's bedroom using Nvidia game streaming.

And hey I just ordered a vive today. I was 'umming and aring' over Oculus and Vive and finally went with Vive (i hope the right choice!)

unRAID is very easy to manage. Everything is done from a web UI. Adding a docker container is as easy as typing in a search on the apps tab then clicking install and filling out an easy to use template.

You get a great NAS with unraid too.

I would say get the trail set it up and see if you like it!

Ryzen support is in kernel 4.10 onwards. We are not on 4.10 as yet but will be very soon so then the Ryzen problems will be a thing of the past.

Edited by gridrunner
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, gridrunner said:

And hey I just ordered a vive today. I was 'umming and aring' over Oculus and Vive and finally went with Vive (i hope the right choice!)

I looked at both and chose the Vive. The Vive and Oculus are both excellent and have very little difference between them, but the ability to have a 15 x 15 foot play space was the clincher for me. My friends love it. 

Thanks for the feedback. The pass through is really good to know. VMWare Workstation Pro cannot do that currently. Oh and I have my own NAS so that isn't an issue. 

Edited by shadragon
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...