Thinking about getting i9, should I be worried about power consumption?

I started unraid system with low energy core i5 thinking the power consumption is the most important considering the rig would be on 24/7.

A few years later, turns out, my gaming rig (i7 4790K/nvidia1070) AND unraid rig are both on 24/7, and this is for a particular reason. My gaming rig, which I use for occasional gaming/VR/etc, also records sports games / foreign shows overnight (this uses ~35% of processing power), and I then edit the recorded shows using premiere.The edited shows are passed on to one of the VMs on unraid for encoding. I use the gaming rig for recording shows because it drops framerate as soon as CPU is maxed out.

Obviously, I did not anticipate the whole encoding stuff when I built the unraid rig, but now that I realized how much horse power I potentially need, I started thinking about getting one a rig with a decent number of cores/threads and merging gaming PC and unraid altogether.  I was originally thinking about building a new rig with xeon-d, but I couldn't find a mobo with enough SAS + PCI-E x16 slots. Then I heard about the recent core i9 news, so now I'm thinking to go with Core i9, find a decent x299 mobo with ipmi.

Here is my workload for both gaming and unraid:

GAMING RIG:

- Recording shows using Elgato HD 60 S in 1080

- Video editing using Premiere

- Occasional video games

- Occasional Oculus VR

Unraid:

- Regular VFS/smb stuff

- Plex powering 2-3 users

- 3 VMs (all Win 10); One of the VMs encoding

- Sonarr/CouchPotatoes

- Torrent/Usenet

- Crashplan

What are your thoughts? do you think core i9 is an overkill? I'm also concerned about power consumption, the whole reason I went with LE i5 to begin with.

whats your thoughts??

Based on your workload an E5 would have seemed appropriate, and (simplistically) the i9 looks like it will be a faster, consumer oriented chip similar to the current 10 core E5's.  I'm not sure where Intel is going with their branding, E7, Core i9, etc.  That i9 is going to be a very expensive chip, though - an E5 would be a better value.

39 minutes ago, tdallen said:

Based on your workload an E5 would have seemed appropriate, and (simplistically) the i9 looks like it will be a faster, consumer oriented chip similar to the current 10 core E5's.  I'm not sure where Intel is going with their branding, E7, Core i9, etc.  That i9 is going to be a very expensive chip, though - an E5 would be a better value.

I thought i9s would be more reasonably priced since it's supposed to be mainstream processors.

I wasn't really keen on getting x99 since it's somewhat outdated, and I wasn't interested in upgrading it anytime soon after I build the new rig.... Other than the price are there any advantages with going E5 vs i9?

7 minutes ago, takkkkkkk said:

I thought i9s would be more reasonably priced since it's supposed to be mainstream processors.

Not really.

From what I read, the cheapest 10 core CPU, Core i9-7900X, is priced at ~999USD.

Those i9's annoucement, there is no delivery date yet, are just the answer on AMD's RYZEN, trying to hold people off buying AMD.

I'm glad AMD is still in the market, so Intel is pushed to bring new things, else they would still continue sleeping while milking consumers.

Greedy monopolist...

7 hours ago, takkkkkkk said:

needed ipmi, and I didn't think any of AMD mobo had ipmi supports

Seems not true...not in general.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/AMD_G34.cfm?pg=MOBO

True, Ryzen has none, but Epyc (Naples) will also have (server CPU's).

7 hours ago, BRiT said:

Before AMD's Ryzen CPU releases the similar chip from Intel [i9 style] would have been $4.5K. Now it's only $2K.

Looking back, this is what Intel always did.

There was no significant change during the last years. Intel issues 6 or 7 XEON generations with almost no

significant change. If AMD wasn't, we would probably still have the Pentium 90 with 150W TDP.

But most people don't know/care and I fear the day when AMD is kicked out of business.

Then we have to eat what Intel is cooking.

Edited by Fireball3

i9 is a bit of a mess, with various different numbers of PCI-E lanes, cores, and of course clock speeds.  Apparently some of the motherboard companies aren't going to release X299 boards...

See: 

It really is a case of Intel just throwing out a product in an attempt to compete with AMD.  And failing.  It's Pentium D all over again.