Re purposing HTPC equipment

Current unraid setup:

Intel G550 1155socket, Asrock B75 pro3m, 4gb ram, Parity 3 tb wd red, 4 other wd red drives 2 and 3tb, cache 1tb wd blue drive.

I replaced two htpc with two nvidia shields so have some hardware to re purpose and was wondering if any of these would be good upgrades. Can do full swap of mobo and all or just swap cpu add some ram. I also have a few more data drives to add.

HTPC 1 -  i3 3225 1155 socket, Asrock z77 pro4m, 8gb Crucial DDR3 1600, Samsung 840 120gb SSD

HTPC 2 - intel i3-4130 1150 socket, asus h81t/csm, 8gb ddr3 1600 204 pin

If i do swap out all or some parts, is there any special setup i need to do to my unraid setup, or will everything boot back up properly?

Thanks in advanced

The Intel i3-3225 has almost 100% more Power (and Hyperthreading) then the G550 so i would take the Asrock B75-Board and change the G550 to the i3-3225 because this Board has 8 Sata-Ports (The Z77 has only 6) - and use 8GB RAM for your "new" Server :)

And check, if the BIOS is on the latest Version (v1.90).

Conclusion: Just swap the G550 against the i3-3225, make some BIOS-Settings and boot up - nothing special to do.

Edited by Zonediver
4 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

The Intel i3-3225 has almost 100% more Power (and Hyperthreading) then the G550 so i would take the Asrock B75-Board and change the G550 to the i3-3225 because this Board has 8 Sata-Ports (The Z77 has only 6) - and use 8GB RAM for your "new" Server :)

And check, if the BIOS is on the latest Version (v1.90).

Thanks for reply. Does it make sense to use both the 8gb and the 4gb or does that not work? Anything i need to do inside of unraid when swapping hardware or should everything boot back up the same?

5 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Depends on the RAM - you can try it out. The i3-3225 will support DDR3-1600 RAM.

I use on my machine 2x4GB Kingston and 2x2GB Corsair (both DDR3-1333) - fairly "asymmetric" but it works fine xD

Okay...and sorry do you know how the server will re act with the new hardware? anything special need to be done?

Not really, if the BIOS is ok - just a smale Info: The Z77-Board has also 8x SATAs so you can use both boards - my fault, sorry :)

INFO 2: Both Boards have Realtek-NICs so that might be a problem and the reason, why i am using an Intel Pro 1000 PCI-Card.

INFO 3: Use the Z77 Board - it has 4x PCIe Slots for modern Cards!

Make sure you have a screenshot of your disk assignment!

Edited by Zonediver
1 hour ago, Zonediver said:

Not really, if the BIOS is ok - just a smale Info: The Z77-Board has also 8x SATAs so you can use both boards - my fault, sorry :)

INFO 2: Both Boards have Realtek-NICs so that might be a problem and the reason, why i am using an Intel Pro 1000 PCI-Card.

INFO 3: Use the Z77 Board - it has 4x PCIe Slots for modern Cards!

Make sure you have a screenshot of your disk assignment!

What kind of problems from the on board nic? Been running for last few years and no issues I have seen. If i use the z77 board when hooking the drives back in do I just need to make sure i re designate the drives back to correct parity and data etc?

On my Asrock the NIC is not working properly with v6 - dont know why, but it doesn't.

You must know at least, which drive is the parity, thats why.

I am not sure, if this is importent for a new "Connection" on a new hardware of all drives, but its good to have this scrennshot if something happens.

Edited by Zonediver
2 hours ago, Zonediver said:

On my Asrock the NIC is not working properly with v6 - dont know why, but it doesn't.

You must know at least, which drive is the parity, thats why.

I am not sure, if this is importent for a new "Connection" on a new hardware of all drives, but its good to have this scrennshot if something happens.

Appears the ram in the current unraid setup is 1333mhz, im pretty sure i cant mix these extra 2 sticks with the other ones that are 1600mhz right?

3 minutes ago, AnthonyJS02 said:

Appears the ram in the current unraid setup is 1333mhz, im pretty sure i cant mix these extra 2 sticks with the other ones that are 1600mhz right?

Test it - normaly they should be the same - it can be, that the 1600 is running at 1333 as well.

Edited by Zonediver
3 hours ago, Zonediver said:

Test it - normaly they should be the same - it can be, that the 1600 is running at 1333 as well.

Report back everything appears to be working fine so far.....is there any test i can run on the memory to make sure there are no issues?

Also since i have a 120gb ssd drive to put to use, what is the best to use it for. Should I run like my plex docker off of it? That is really only docker using right now, still using plug in for sab and sonar. Is there a lot of setup to moving plex off of the main cache onto another drive?