unRAID OS version 6.3.5 Stable Release Available

Upgrades have always gone smoothly. But not from 6.3.3 to 6.3.5 (I missed 6.3.4). I am not able to mount unraid shares on my Mac (AFP or SMB), getting the following error: "There are no shares available or you are not allowed to access them on the server. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem."

Soon after booting into 6.3.5 I got a "SECURITY Information" email with the following: "Tower : May 27 17:24:06 : root : unable to stat /etc/sudoers : Permission denied ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ;"

In my log file, the following error appear multiple times:  "May 27 17:24:16 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token"

And probably related to my inability to mount, I get the following:

"May 27 18:06:09 Tower root: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D
May 27 18:06:09 Tower avahi-daemon[2790]: Found user 'avahi' (UID 61) and group 'avahi' (GID 214).
May 27 18:06:09 Tower avahi-daemon[2790]: Successfully dropped root privileges.
May 27 18:06:09 Tower avahi-daemon[2790]: open(/var/run/avahi-daemon//pid): Permission denied
May 27 18:06:09 Tower avahi-daemon[2790]: Failed to create PID file: Permission denied
May 27 18:06:09 Tower emhttp: shcmd (760): /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidnsconfd start |& logger
May 27 18:06:09 Tower root: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD DNS Server Configuration Daemon: /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D
May 27 18:06:09 Tower avahi-dnsconfd[2799]: connect(): No such file or directory
May 27 18:06:09 Tower avahi-dnsconfd[2799]: Failed to connect to the daemon. This probably means that you
May 27 18:06:09 Tower avahi-dnsconfd[2799]: didn't start avahi-daemon before avahi-dnsconfd."

This is a bit over my head. Fixable, or should I revert to 6.3.3?

Thanks

On 2017-05-27 at 10:46 AM, Kir said:

Upgraded no problem

Spoke too soon. Could not connect to SMB shares from any Windows computer. Found that unRaid left the domain (why?).

Joined back - all OK. So whoever has something "strange" going on - check if it's part of the domain still.

I did the upgrade last night and something went really really wrong.

pre-update cache usage was 64G used / 62G free.

Post update after reboot (I rebooted twice to try and ensure it wasn't some glitch)

cache usage is now 112G used / 16G free.

There was no change in anything to my knowledge and running Mover did nothing. Also, the option to run Mover in the Main tab is now gone.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer.

tower-syslog-20170529-1323.zip

Edited by LordShad0w
1 hour ago, LordShad0w said:

I did the upgrade last night and something went really really wrong.

pre-update cache usage was 64G used / 62G free.

Post update after reboot (I rebooted twice to try and ensure it wasn't some glitch)

cache usage is now 112G used / 16G free.

There was no change in anything to my knowledge and running Mover did nothing. Also, the option to run Mover in the Main tab is now gone.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer.

tower-syslog-20170529-1323.zip

You have the 'unbalance' plugin installed?  Not sure what it's doing but it did something...

Post firmware upgrade?

I used it a decent while back because I was shifting data.

No longer need it, so should I remove it entirely?

thanks in advance.

EDIT*

Ok, this is the weirdest thing ever, it just a few minutes ago messaged me that Cache disk usage had returned to normal  (64G/62G)

which is fine, but I have NO idea why it did what it did.

If needed I am attaching new log.

tower-syslog-20170529-1434.zip

Edited by LordShad0w
New information and Logs
30 minutes ago, LordShad0w said:

ok one sec

tower-diagnostics-20170529-1440.zip

I really appreciate the help. :)

Any ideas?

I just don't want things to be broken. If removing the MOVER button was intended, then knowing would be good. I just didn't see any mention of it in the release notes.
The cache thing was super weird though. Don't know how useage would skyrocket for a solid day and then "magically" fix itself with no intervention from me.
Unfortunately, I am no good with understanding the diagnostics. I am trying to learn though. :)

5 hours ago, LordShad0w said:

Any ideas?

I just don't want things to be broken. If removing the MOVER button was intended, then knowing would be good. I just didn't see any mention of it in the release notes.
The cache thing was super weird though. Don't know how useage would skyrocket for a solid day and then "magically" fix itself with no intervention from me.
Unfortunately, I am no good with understanding the diagnostics. I am trying to learn though. :)

After updating to 6.3.5, the "Move Now" button is still on my "Main" page. Sorry, I can't help you with the cache issue.

Tried another reboot. Both issues persist. If someone could check out the diagnostics in my post above, I would greatly appreciate the help in figuring this out.

Really hoping the update didn't break my system. Things were rock solid and stable prior to the update. 

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, LordShad0w said:

Tried another reboot. Both issues persist. If someone could check out the diagnostics in my post above, I would greatly appreciate the help in figuring this out.

Really hoping the update didn't break my system. Things were rock solid and stable prior to the update. 

Thanks in advance.

Taking a quick look at your diagnostics:

1) It appears that the BTRFS sub-system was doing some sort of 'balance' activity.   Maybe this explains your anomalous size issues (I do not use BTRFS so am just guessing).

2) I see that a parity check is running.   Maybe you have set your system to not allow mover why such a check is in progress?

15 hours ago, itimpi said:

Taking a quick look at your diagnostics:

1) It appears that the BTRFS sub-system was doing some sort of 'balance' activity.   Maybe this explains your anomalous size issues (I do not use BTRFS so am just guessing).

2) I see that a parity check is running.   Maybe you have set your system to not allow mover why such a check is in progress?

So here is the thing, the system gave no indication that parity check was active. This is just all around odd behavior. I am sorry for cluttering up this thread. Perhaps someone will see something I didn't eventually. 

Thanks all.

updated fine, but after restarting, I can no longer get to the gui, nor access putty.

I've restarted the machine again, using a quick press of the power button, but I still cannot access the server.

FWIW, I updated all my dockers and a couple plugins before rebooting.  I also used the reboot button, instead of stopping the array, then restarting.

I'll try to access the server to see where it's hanging, but it's in the attic, and I need to get a monitor up there to connect, so it's not happening tonight :(

updated fine, but after restarting, I can no longer get to the gui, nor access putty.

I've restarted the machine again, using a quick press of the power button, but I still cannot access the server.

FWIW, I updated all my dockers and a couple plugins before rebooting.  I also used the reboot button, instead of stopping the array, then restarting.

I'll try to access the server to see where it's hanging, but it's in the attic, and I need to get a monitor up there to connect, so it's not happening tonight :(

For what it's worth, one of my servers never likes power-on restarts - I suspect a BIOS issue affecting the disk controllers ability to discover connected drives.   If I power off directly after an update and then power back on then everything always works fine.  So you could try hooking up a monitor, and it would probably tell you what is and is not working, but it's possible that the array has just not been restarted for some reason.  In that case a power cycle might restart things normally, and if you're lucky it might not even force a parity check.

I upgraded to 6.3.5 without issue, BTW, but with a power cycle to avoid the issue that I sometimes see with my hardware.

Edited by S80_UK
15 hours ago, S80_UK said:

For what it's worth, one of my servers never likes power-on restarts - I suspect a BIOS issue affecting the disk controllers ability to discover connected drives.   If I power off directly after an update and then power back on then everything always works fine.  So you could try hooking up a monitor, and it would probably tell you what is and is not working, but it's possible that the array has just not been restarted for some reason.  In that case a power cycle might restart things normally, and if you're lucky it might not even force a parity check.

I upgraded to 6.3.5 without issue, BTW, but with a power cycle to avoid the issue that I sometimes see with my hardware.

It's never been a problem on this machine before. 

I finally got up into the attic today, and got the monitor hooked up and all it tell me is "boot error"

I've restarted a few times, no change.

I'm now scanning the thumb drive for errors, but Windows didn't see any when I first installed the drive.  I'm forcing the check anyway.

I suspect I've got a corrupted download, but I really expect unRAID to check it's own downloads for errors before letting me reboot.  Maybe it does and that's not the problem, but once the drive scan finishes, I have no other ideas what might have happened.

Windows finished with no errors.  I just ran the make bootable batch file, and I'll try again.  Fingers crossed.

13 hours ago, limetech said:

That usually means the BIOS boot order got changed so that the USB flash device is not the first device it tries to boot off.

I ended up just downloading the update manually, then copied it to the drive, then reinserted and tried again, and now all is well.

I did notice that when I tried downloading the file, it got 'stuck' at 99% finished.  I had to pause and restart the download for it to get the last 1%.  I verified the hash before putting the files on the drive, and now all seems to be working again.

Not sure if the same thing might have happened to the original update (corrupted/incomplete download), but I seem to be okay now.