[SOLVED] Data drive redballed during parity rebuild

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of trouble and need some assistance.

Last night my parity drive was suddenly redballed - I suspect due to a faulty sata cable. Tonight I had just installed a freshly precleared disk in a different slot (with a different cable) and started a parity rebuild. Part way through the rebuild another one of my drives has been redballed due to disk read errors, this drive has now had it's cable replaced and is detected (but still redballed) however I think during the cable swap I have accidentally bumped the new parity drive is now listed as missing.

In short I currently have one data drive redballed and a parity drive that's only partially rebuilt but now listed as missing.

I have not written anything to the array since before parity died last night so there should be no reason why the data on the redballed drive would be damaged. Can I pull the parity disk, force unraid to enable the redballed data disk to get the array all green and then install a precleared disk to do a parity rebuild somehow?

I'm running version 5.0.5

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by ash.881
Issue Solved
43 minutes ago, ash.881 said:

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of trouble and need some assistance.

Last night my parity drive was suddenly redballed - I suspect due to a faulty sata cable. Tonight I had just installed a freshly precleared disk in a different slot (with a different cable) and started a parity rebuild. Part way through the rebuild another one of my drives has been redballed due to disk read errors, this drive has now had it's cable replaced and is detected (but still redballed) however I think during the cable swap I have accidentally bumped the new parity drive is now listed as missing.

In short I currently have one data drive redballed and a parity drive that's only partially rebuilt but now listed as missing.

I have not written anything to the array since before parity died last night so there should be no reason why the data on the redballed drive would be damaged. Can I pull the parity disk, force unraid to enable the redballed data disk to get the array all green and then install a precleared disk to do a parity rebuild somehow?

I'm running version 5.0.5

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

This is incredibly common - bumping a cable when opening the server to add or replace a drive. Drive cages are strongly recommend to avoid this problem. They allow you to add or swap disks without opening the case.