From Windows to unRAID

Hey all,

I wanted to thank this community for all of it's help by documenting so much so well about how to get going on unRAID. After 10+ years using consumer Windows to run my various iterations of a 'home server', I finally decided to make a change - after looking at all the options, unRAID became the clear pick for me.

I blogged pretty much every detail of how I converted my machine - in particular those I had to hunt for instructions. Hopefully someone else will find this useful should they be looking to make a similar change.

From Windows to unRAID: choosing my next home-server OS

How-to: Migrate from Windows RAID to unRAID

Securing a new unRAID installation

Convert a Windows Installation into a unRAID (KVM) Virtual Machine

Reduce (Shrink) raw image (.img) size of a Windows Virtual Machine

Controlling Case Fans Based on Hard Drive Temperature

My build is very modest - I've got a 5 year old ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 motherboard with an Intel Core i5-2500k processor and 16GB of RAM. Running 120GB x2 cache disks with 4TB parity + 4TB data, with an additional 4TB disk that's outside of the array for IP camera recordings.

All of that, crammed into a pizza box of a case.

So far, I'm running OpenVPN, CrashPlan, and Logitech Media Server via Docker, and a Windows VM for my security cam software. 

All told, it probably took me a month of weekends to convert from Windows -> unRAID. And most of that time was spent on various badblocks + long smartctrl tests to burn in each of the 3 new HDDs I put into my aging server as part of the upgrade. 

It's good to be back running Linux in my home.

Thanks for all of your help - this forum (and all the contributions from the various Docker + plugin authors) has been so great.

-kmwoley

20170516_134655.jpg

Edited by kmwoley
  • Upvote 1

If the few posts you have made so far are any indication, I think you could be a great asset to the community. I hope you will be a frequent contributor.

Another user suggested moving this thread, and I agree it is more useful than typical Lounge posts, so I am moving it to UCD where your build thread is.

Welcome! Stick around!

• 1 month later...