unable to rdp into a VM

hi there, 

I'm unable to RDP into my VM.

I have RDP enabled on the VM and local admin account password protected. I'm using br0, I can ping it, I can access it by the built-in VNC viewer.

however, after the RDP client authenticates me, it just flashes "initiating RDP session" and disappears. No errors. 

I have tried two different clients and both behave the same way. 

thanks 

You may want to look at the Local Security Policy of the machine.  

Start >>RUN>>Local Security Policy

Expand Local Policies and then User Rights Assignments.  Something could be missing in the "Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services."

There is also a "Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services" that can lead to problems as well.

3 hours ago, SFyffe said:

You may want to look at the Local Security Policy of the machine.  

Start >>RUN>>Local Security Policy

Expand Local Policies and then User Rights Assignments.  Something could be missing in the "Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services."

There is also a "Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services" that can lead to problems as well.

thanks for the tip but this is a fresh win7 image, none of these should need to be modified for a default install. I double checked and all of the settings are in place including local policies. 

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

Just for giggles, try installing a VNC server in the VM and see if you can connect to that.

it's one of the things i want to try as well as using HP RGS and upgrading the VM to win10 but so far I'm puzzled, never had this issue before 

Just now, daan_SVK said:

it's one of the things i want to try as well as using HP RGS and upgrading the VM to win10 but so far I'm puzzled, never had this issue before 

It's got to be a windows issue, have you looked in the system log after making the connection attempt to see if there is something listed there?

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:24 PM, daan_SVK said:

hi there, 

I'm unable to RDP into my VM.

I have RDP enabled on the VM and local admin account password protected. I'm using br0, I can ping it, I can access it by the built-in VNC viewer.

however, after the RDP client authenticates me, it just flashes "initiating RDP session" and disappears. No errors. 

I have tried two different clients and both behave the same way. 

thanks 

In your Windows 7 VM, check your network type and make sure you're not on a public network. Should be home or private network. RDP won't work over a public network.

Gary

Edited by GHunter