unRAID 6.3.3 hangs randomly

My unRAID NAS started hanging randomly. Everything stops working, emhttp, dockers, smb, ssh, telnet. When I try to login via the VGA console it hangs too after I input the username (I can still switch TTYs). I have to do a hard reset for it to unhang. This is the second time it did that, the last time was a week ago, I was hoping it was a one-time event but apparently not. At this point I'm scared of keeping data on the array. There are no errors popping out in the console, and I obviously can't provide any logs because unRAID doesn't persist them between reboots, for whatever reason. How can I diagnose this issue? Can I pipe the system log to the array or cache so that after the hard reset I would still be able to read the log?

24 minutes ago, Krzaku said:

My unRAID NAS started hanging randomly. Everything stops working, emhttp, dockers, smb, ssh, telnet. When I try to login via the VGA console it hangs too after I input the username (I can still switch TTYs). I have to do a hard reset for it to unhang. This is the second time it did that, the last time was a week ago, I was hoping it was a one-time event but apparently not. At this point I'm scared of keeping data on the array. There are no errors popping out in the console, and I obviously can't provide any logs because unRAID doesn't persist them between reboots, for whatever reason. How can I diagnose this issue? Can I pipe the system log to the array or cache so that after the hard reset I would still be able to read the log?

Best to pipe the syslog (actually tail it) to the flash drive /boot.  Or install Fix Common problems and put it into troubleshooting mode

I've been having this issue on my dad's server for months. I finally ended up building an entirely new system and moving all my disks over.... and it's still happening!

I think it is an issue with Docker. I had Docker disabled, and the system was up for 4 days with no issues. I enabled Docker (with only 1 container, Emby), and now the system is unresponsive again (it responds to pings, nothing else) after a day.

I've created a new docker.img file, but that didn't help. I have no idea what else to try at this point.

Meanwhile, on my server, I'm running Docker with about 15 containers and the system never freezes (although it loses WAN connection after a while, and the only way to restore it is with a reboot. LAN connections are unaffected).

Edited by BBoYTuRBo
On 2017-5-22 at 4:38 AM, johnnie.black said:

Are there any reiserfs disks on the server?

None on my servers either.

On 2017-5-22 at 4:58 AM, Krzaku said:

There aren't any on my system. I piped the log to the pendrive using fix common problems, I'll check the logs when the system hangs again.

I've been tailing dmesg on a terminal screen. There are no apparent errors when the system hangs. It just stop responding to input and does not output anything more to the screen.

Edited by BBoYTuRBo
Adding more info
  • 2 months later...

@BBoYTuRBois your Unraid server runnning an Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake CPU? I'm wondering if this has something to do with our issue: 

I was running with logging enabled since May, but of course the server didn't hang since then, so I still don't know for sure what was causing the hangs. For now I have disabled Hyper-Threading on my server.