NAStyBox

Smart Home / Home Automation

5 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm almost done getting my unRaid box where I want it to address my storage and entertainment requirements. 

That being said, I have a Samsung Smartthings hub that needs to be replaced. The core problem with it is Samsung forces firmware updates, with no way to stop them. So every time I get it running the way I want, they seem to break it. Which leaves me with quite a quandary. Should I box it up and sell it on ebay, or take it to the range and mail them back the pieces? I haven't decided yet. HOW someone could screw up light switches I'll never understand, but then to have the audacity to declare certain ones as "unsupported" after you've fubarred their operation with lousy code that you dug out of your crotch? Well that means it's time for Samsung to go. 

That being said, lol, I've seen a few options in CA for home automation. Which one would you choose, and what would you choose hardware wise to get something going on unraid that controls Z-wave and Zigbee devices? I want to give this a go before I go buy a Vera, which was my other choice, because I suspect I'll run into similar issues using a solution like that. 

...and I'm strongly considering the range option. A video of me putting a 9mm round through the middle of a Smartthings hub will no doubt give plenty of other highly frustrated Smartthings hub owners vicarious joy. :D  That and I think I could write it off my taxes as a community service expense. No Smartthings owning IRS worker would question it. 

Z-Wave + Homeseer. Act fast and you can get homeseer 50% off too! I switched from Vera to Smartthings to Vera and finally have found a perfect home with Homeseer. Its in a VM right now and works perfectly, however I may move it to a dedicated.

3 hours ago, NotYetRated said:

Z-Wave + Homeseer. Act fast and you can get homeseer 50% off too! I switched from Vera to Smartthings to Vera and finally have found a perfect home with Homeseer. Its in a VM right now and works perfectly, however I may move it to a dedicated.

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

+1 for Homeseer. I've been running it for years now.

So my house is loaded with switches, sensors, and a few sirens. I never did go beyond that because I wasn't happy with Smartthings. 

What would it take to get it going on an unRAID VM, starting with Z-wave and Zigbee devices? This does have to run on a PC or VM, right?

Homeseer will run in multiple environments, personally I'm currently running in a windows 7 vm, I tried to stand up a linux VM for it, it worked great up until I tried to connect my alarm system. Since the 3rd party plugin for my particular alarm was only recently ported to linux, it didn't work well, so I'm still running my windows vm. Homeseer will also run on a Pi, so options abound for the software host.

zwave interface wise, it's going to depend on what environment. I use a z-net, which is homeseers own zwave controller built on a pi. I like the ability to place the zwave transmitter anywhere I need, instead of having to stay somewhat near the host running the software.

I've never dealt with zigbee, apparently it's somewhat supported, but I would verify in their forums how successful that is.

http://homeseer.com/zigbee.html