Big thank you to everyone on the forum!

extrobe

What started as a small project to replace my DS414 with a larger device running Xpenology has seen me buy - and subsequently chuck out - a 12-bay Rack Server, spend the best part of £2k on new hardware, learn all about SAS Cards, Flashing, Parity, Cache and have ended up with a monster 65TB based system running Unraid Pro in a monster Lian Li D8000B case.

Had a huge amount of help along the way - and sure I will still to come.

Still a few loose ends to tie up (need to figure out if my raid cards are stopping my ram slots from working, need to get the https working on nextcloud, need to re-do the cooling setup in the case, and have a few more drives to clear & add) - but very happy with it all so far, and my DS414 and my HP MicroServer have both been retired.

Only a shame that in a month or 2 it'll be packed away for 3-4 months whilst it's shipped to the other side of the world! :(

Already looking at my other 2 servers (Plex, which is a standalone windows device) and my SQL Server / R / Data Analysis Server (again, standalone Windows Server machine) could be hosted as VM's.

Think I'm going to need some more ram and a faster processor (seen a great deal on an E5-2620v3!)!

Edited by extrobe
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...