Using a DS380 as an expansion case for HP Microserver G7

kifysara

Hello all,

As my G7 Microserver is now full of HDDs, I was looking for expansion options.

I have already bought a SATA/eSATA card from Syba (this one), and, while I considering the usual options that come in these threads (e.g. ICYBox enclosures like the MB561U3S-4S), I came across a good deal on the Silverstone DS380 that I just couldn't resist. :$

Perhaps I will use this case to build a stronger, more versatile NAS and replace the HP in the future, but for now I would just like to use it as a "dumb" box, like the ICYBox cited above, to expand the Microserver's storage via eSATA.

Nevertheless, I am not quite sure about what I will need to purchase to achieve this, other than a PSU for the DS380 to power the drives.

In other words, assuming I install 3-4 disks and a PSU on the DS380, how can I "bridge" their SATA cables and route them through a single eSATA port?

I assume some sort of controller does this in standalone expansion boxes like the ICYBox, but not sure the exact product(s) I would need to buy, also considering that there will be no mobo/cpu in the DS380 for now.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Best Regards,

Kostas

You would need an HBA in your micro server that has an external port, then a cable that goes from that external port to a breakout cable that connects to the all the backplane ports of the DS380, assuming something like this exists. You would need some method of presenting the drives in the DS380 to your HP Microserver and I don't think eSATA is the way.

• Upvote 1

Much better performance (and signaling) using a HBA with one or two external SAS ports and then run a external SAS cable to the other case and finally forward breakout cables to the disks, each external SAS port can connect 4 disks (more with an expander).

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your input, guys. Appreciated.

So, if I got it right, I'll need an HBA card instead of the Syba I bought and then a SAS to SATA cable (e.g. like this) that goes to the DS380 or, alternatively, a SAS cable between the boxes and then a bracket like this on the DS380 side?

Any recommendations for affordable HBAs that work OK with the Gen7/Unraid combo? Perhaps the one mentioned here?

Edited by kifysara

Thank you again for your help! 

I'm in the process of buying a card off eBay. Is there something to be careful about or preference when choosing manufacturer/type of card, or are all LSI 9200-8i clones created equal and I could just go for the most affordable option?

Edited by kifysara

They should be all the same, I usually prefer to buy an used server pull instead of a new one from China, as these can sometimes be fakes.

Also keep in mind that without the expander you'll be limited to SATA cable lengths, max is 1 meter, best option is to get 1 or 2 of these cables depending on how many disk you'll have, 1 meter is enough to connect from the back of one case, go through the back of the other and to the disks:

Mini_SAS_to_4_SATA_Cable_-_SAS-88SA1_Closeup__92502.1329589843.1280.1280.jpg

• Upvote 1