How long should the 6.3.4 update take?

Hi, I've use the 'download' link to upgrade to 6.3.4, but unsure if it's progressing.

It had been on the 'syncing - please wait' step for about 30 mins, but I then closed the window so not sure what the current status is.

The web gui in very unresponsive, although SMB shares are still online

I was running an appdata/usb backup at the time, as well as various preclear activities - this probably hasn't helped, but wasn't aware unraid would attempt to perform the update at the same point as downloading it (if indeed that's what it's doing)

Should I just sit & wait it out, or is there an action I need to take?

plugin: updating: unRAIDServer.plg
plugin: downloading: https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.3.4-x86_64.zip ... done
plugin: downloading: https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.3.4-x86_64.md5 ... done
Archive: /tmp/unRAIDServer.zip
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/bzimage 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/bzroot 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/bzroot-gui 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/changes.txt 
creating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/config/
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/config/ident.cfg 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/config/network.cfg 
extracting: /tmp/unRAIDServer/config/go 
creating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/config/plugins/
creating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/config/plugins/dockerMan/
extracting: /tmp/unRAIDServer/config/plugins/dockerMan/template-repos 
extracting: /tmp/unRAIDServer/config/docker.cfg 
extracting: /tmp/unRAIDServer/config/domain.cfg 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/license.txt 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/make_bootable.bat 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/make_bootable_linux 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/make_bootable_mac 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/memtest 
creating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/ldlinux.c32 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/libcom32.c32 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/libutil.c32 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/make_bootable_mac.sh 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/mboot.c32 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/mbr.bin 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/menu.c32 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/syslinux 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/syslinux.cfg- 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/syslinux.exe 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/make_bootable_linux.sh 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/syslinux_linux 
inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/syslinux.cfg 
syncing - please wait...

The syncing normally only takes a few seconds on a quiescent unRAID system.    However if there is a lot of disk activity going on then the time can be a bit indeterminate as continual writing can significantly delay the sync completing.

however, once that point in the update process has been reached then the files have in theory been successfully unpacked and written.   If you can tidily stop the array then a reboot should come up in the new version.

if the update has failed for any reason you can always do a manual upgrade by  downloading the zip file from the Limetech site and then replace the bz* files on the unRAID USB stick with the ones from the zip.

31 minutes ago, extrobe said:

... I was running an appdata/usb backup at the time, as well as various preclear activities - this probably hasn't helped, but wasn't aware unraid would attempt to perform the update at the same point as downloading it (if indeed that's what it's doing)

Should I just sit & wait it out, or is there an action I need to take?

With a lot of other stuff going on it could indeed take a long time to sync.   I'd be inclined to just wait it out ... I suspect it'll finish pretty quickly once your backup finishes.    I don't think the pre-clears will impact how long it takes to sync; but you do NOT want to do the subsequent reboot until after they've finished (this could be MANY hours).

For future reference, I'd do updates when the array is otherwise not in use ... or, as itimpi said:

19 minutes ago, itimpi said:

on a quiescent unRAID system

You have to reboot to finish the update anyway, so you may as well have all other activity stopped before doing it.

thanks Garycase - previous backups have only have 10 mins or so, and don't think I have a way to check whether it's done or not (the web gui tries to load, but ultimately fails), but will sweat it out. Not precious about the pre-clearing - chances are I'll leave a reboot until afterwards, but I'd not long started them, and not in a rush.

For future reference, I'd do updates when the array is otherwise not in use ... or, as itimpi said:

Quite agree - unfortunately, this was my first upgrade, and that 'download' link doesn't forewarn you that it will also attempt to apply the update. That was in fact why I was running the backup - because I was getting prepaid to run the update, and wanted a recent backup of the usb drive & appdata. Some sort of warning / confirmation would certainly be useful for noobs like me :)

20 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

I believe sync won't complete while a preclear is running.

And annoyingly, the 'unassigned devices' plugin is one of those being unresponsive on the main tab, so can't get in to cancel it.

The download link should definitely come with a health warning if a pre-clear might block it, esp as that can be 24hrs+ :)

Can I cancel the pre-clear via ssh?

Edit: May have found the culprit - the littleun is watching Paw Patrol over Plex, so the array can't be stopped (at least, that's what I'm inferring from the unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free message on the ipmi terminal)

Edited by extrobe

It is worth noting that ALL the plugin update options both download and install the update.   This tends to be standard behaviour throughout the unRAID GUI.

it is almost certain the sync will not finish with a preclear running.   The whole idea of a 'sync' is to flush all disk buffers and the preclear is continually filling them up again.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It is worth noting that ALL the plugin update options both download and install the update.   This tends to be standard behaviour throughout the unRAID GUI.

it is almost certain the sync will not finish with a preclear running.   The whole idea of a 'sync' is to flush all disk buffers and the preclear is continually filling them up again.

Thanks itimpi - any tips on either stopping the pre-clear or performing a clean restart? Struggling to any response from the gui

You can always try a 'shutdown' command from the CLI level.   I would have thought that should abort the preclear but have not tried it myself to be sure.

Since successfully shutting down will abort the preclear and mean that you need to start it again from the beginning after the reboot (assuming you still want to do it) you may want to leave it running.   Not sure how far through the preclear you already are?

15 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You can always try a 'shutdown' command from the CLI level.   I would have thought that should abort the preclear but have not tried it myself to be sure.

Since successfully shutting down will abort the preclear and mean that you need to start it again from the beginning after the reboot (assuming you still want to do it) you may want to leave it running.   Not sure how far through the preclear you already are?

I'm happy to abort the pre-clear - started one last night (so about 11 hours in) and one this morning, so not a big deal.

Will a full on shutdown command trigger a parity check, or should I be ok with that?

Edit: Even a shutdown -r now command isn't being processed!

Edited by extrobe

In the end, I tried manually stopping / unmounting everything via SSH, but this didn't avoid triggering a parity check. Bummer

Still, I'm back online - and it appears that the update was successful - it tells me i'm on 6.3.4 - is there a way / need to validate the install?

If it shows 6.3.4 then that's what you're on.    The actual files on the flash were updated before it did (or rather attempted) the sync.

Did you shut down the Plex video your little one was watching to see if that had any impact?

I'm surprised the pre-clears didn't just abort, since any disk you're pre-clearing is outside of the array.   But I guess the sync operation is just looking at disk buffers, and not cognizant of whether they're used by the array or something else.

In any event, updates generally work very well and very quickly as long as you be sure the system is otherwise dormant :)

1 hour ago, garycase said:

If it shows 6.3.4 then that's what you're on.    The actual files on the flash were updated before it did (or rather attempted) the sync.

Did you shut down the Plex video your little one was watching to see if that had any impact?

I'm surprised the pre-clears didn't just abort, since any disk you're pre-clearing is outside of the array.   But I guess the sync operation is just looking at disk buffers, and not cognizant of whether they're used by the array or something else.

In any event, updates generally work very well and very quickly as long as you be sure the system is otherwise dormant :)

Yeah, I let him finish Paw Patrol, but then turned it off - just couldn't get it to respond to a shutdown, or even a forced halt command - but was fine with me stopping smb, unmounting drives etc. Very odd.

I'll remember next time not to click download until I'm actually ready to go!