Asus X99 Rampage V Extreme?

Has anyone any thoughts about this board for Unraid? All SATA ports usable etc? Thinking of upgrading to this with an i7-6800K. I don't want any addin SATA boards having had issues with those in the past. Also might want to do at least one VM machine for some encoding hence the power CPU :) Anything I should consider?

Why would the SATA ports not be usable?  They're Intel chipset ports.

I struggled with an Asus X99-A and unRAID, mostly because the board was unreliable at booting off a non-UEFI USB stick.  It would boot OK if manually told to from the F8 menu, but would never boot automatically, no matter what the boot priority was in the UEFI menu.

You'll need a video card, too, as there's no onboard video. I used a Matrox G690 PCI-E card.  My old 8MB RageXL PCI had to go in to retirement due to the lack of PCI slots.

3 minutes ago, HellDiverUK said:

Why would the SATA ports not be usable?  They're Intel chipset ports.

I struggled with an Asus X99-A and unRAID, mostly because the board was unreliable at booting off a non-UEFI USB stick.  It would boot OK if manually told to from the F8 menu, but would never boot automatically, no matter what the boot priority was in the UEFI menu.

You'll need a video card, too, as there's no onboard video. I used a Matrox G690 PCI-E card.  My old 8MB RageXL PCI had to go in to retirement due to the lack of PCI slots.

At least a couple of ports are not off the X99 chipset. Asmedia I think.

The booting could be an annoying issue though.

Yeah, I got an Geforce 660 GTX card I was planning on using for it.

Ah, yes, my Google-fu was weak and missed the extra ports.  10 are off the Intel, the other two AsMedia.  unRAID has worked with any AsMedia chips I've come across, so I recon it'll work OK.

Yes, the booting issue was very frustrating.  It wasn't just unRAID that had issues booting, even depending on how I created Windows boot sticks would mean booting or not.  

• 3 weeks later...