unRAID OS version 6.3.4 Stable Release Available

Jumped from 6.3.0 to 6.3.4, system wouldn't reboot (posts then sits on that lovely black screen with a blinking cursor. And yes, the boot order was fine...).

After a bunch of testing I got it working again by jumping back to 6.3.1 (did not try 2 or 3).

Other things of interest:

- had a new unassigned drive plugged in

- the system would boot on 6.3.4 with that drive removed

43 minutes ago, mralbobo said:

Jumped from 6.3.0 to 6.3.4, system wouldn't reboot (posts then sits on that lovely black screen with a blinking cursor. And yes, the boot order was fine...).

After a bunch of testing I got it working again by jumping back to 6.3.1 (did not try 2 or 3).

Other things of interest:

- had a new unassigned drive plugged in

I have seen things like this happen once or twice.  Apparently, the BIOS detects a new HD disk and decides to try to boot from it rather than a USB Flash Drive.  Some BIOS provide a 'hot' key to get to a boot menu and I have used that to select the Flash Drive. 

1 hour ago, Zangief said:

Ok. Sounds very plausible. It doesnt seem to be causing any further issues at any rate. However worthwhile reporting it anyway. Thanks

There's also a chance that it wasn't being reported earlier, either way there's 0 chance the upgrade caused it, also not a very good sign for a practically new disk, keep an eye on it.

14 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I have seen things like this happen once or twice.  Apparently, the BIOS detects a new HD disk and decides to try to boot from it rather than a USB Flash Drive.  Some BIOS provide a 'hot' key to get to a boot menu and I have used that to select the Flash Drive. 

Yeah, was my first thought as well, my system does that, so I pretty much just have "check the boot order" as one of the steps when changing drives. Wasn't that this time.

1 hour ago, mralbobo said:

Yeah, was my first thought as well, my system does that, so I pretty much just have "check the boot order" as one of the steps when changing drives. Wasn't that this time.

Curious exactly what you see on your console before you get the blinking cursor?

3 hours ago, mralbobo said:

I know you seem certain about the boot order ... but this is a classic symptom of an attempt to boot from a different device.    The thing that tends to support your comment, however, is that the same flash drive boots with an earlier version.    Have there been ANY changes in the configuration ??  (different SATA ports used for any drives; different USB port for the flash?)

In addition, THIS ...

3 hours ago, mralbobo said:

... also tends to support a boot order issue.

27 minutes ago, garycase said:

I know you seem certain about the boot order ... but this is a classic symptom of an attempt to boot from a different device.    The thing that tends to support your comment, however, is that the same flash drive boots with an earlier version.    Have there been ANY changes in the configuration ??  (different SATA ports used for any drives; different USB port for the flash?)

In addition, THIS ...

... also tends to support a boot order issue.

Right, that being the most common cause is why I mentioned I specifically called out the boot order.

I rebooted a lot while looking into this, my literal workflow:

Try a thing. Turn on, go to bios, verify and usually fix the boot order, save, continue boot.

Also verified once that save was actually saving.

Have suspected previously there's some bug in the bios causing it to not always actually apply changes, regardless of what it says. But this was the first time it seemed to have any relevance to an update, so I figured I'd report it. Will probably try again in a week when the preclear finishes <_<

Finally got around to cleaning everything up and took the plunge from 6.1.8 to 6.3.4. Everything seems to be running good so far. A bit more idle memory usage but everything else looks solid. Can't wait till I have some extra spending money so I can add the second parity and upgrade from my Core 2 Duo e6300!

17 minutes ago, dadarara said:

had to reboot 2 times to make it work.   there was no access to web ui. 

tower-diagnostics-20170521-1002.zip

How long did you wait before assuming it wasn't working?

I also had a similar issue on both my machines when upgrading from 6.3.3 to 6.3.4

After about 5 minutes, after the initial restart, I had no access to the web ui or via SSH... so I decided to grab a coffee, then come back to figure the issue out, but when I came back they were both running and accessible... 

I will dig through my logs after work to see if there is anything unusual but so far have been on 6.4.4 for a day with no dramas :) 

27 minutes ago, DireWolf said:

How long did you wait before assuming it wasn't working?

I also had a similar issue on both my machines when upgrading from 6.3.3 to 6.3.4

After about 5 minutes, after the initial restart, I had no access to the web ui or via SSH... so I decided to grab a coffee, then come back to figure the issue out, but when I came back they were both running and accessible... 

I will dig through my logs after work to see if there is anything unusual but so far have been on 6.4.4 for a day with no dramas :) 

I have since realized that a few of my unassigned devices have, somehow, lost their 'unassigned device configuration / preferences'.

Strangely, the drives are showing up underneath as configure but disconnected despite also being present in the 'unassigned device' section (identical identifications).

I have a feeling this issue, as well as the initial sloowwww / delayed reboot, could be related to what Frank1940 and others mentioned earlier about the boot order changing in the BIOS:

11 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

It was easy enough to reconfigure my unassigned drives so no real drama, but I want to get to the bottom of this, in case it causes me any issues later on (and in case there is actually a bug / issue that could potentially effect others upgrading to 6.3.4). I really have no idea but i'm thinking the drive mapping / ordering is getting messed up somehow? Being the noob I am, I am not sure what I should be looking for regarding my suspicions.

(note, I'm a proper newby so please feel free to pull me up on any incorrect terminology and/or general stupidity :D)

4 minutes ago, Tha_soh said:

I updated to 6.3.4 and no error. But.. I have some problems with my Plex since then. Anyone else having issues (I'm unable to start streaming - it just tries to buffer and takes forever with in the end a timeout)? 

You need to include a diagnostics file in your post.....   'Tools'  >>>  'Diagnostics'