NAStyBox    23

I just put these in to pre-clear and when I saw how fast they were going actually started to do the Tim Taylor grunt, lol. I wanted to share.

Last night I pre-cleared two 1tb Black drives I had laying around, thinking I would use them for something on unRaid. Plus they're older and I wanted to test them. They were pre-clearing at around 100. The one Gold that's attached to the on-board SATA now is actually hitting the full stated spec of 250, which is higher than the smaller Golds by about 25%. A little pricey, but worth it.

preclearGolds.jpg

NAStyBox    23
10 minutes ago, 1812 said:

How awful.

Yes it's terrible. I won't be able to watch a full movie anymore while I'm doing file transfers. Now where am I going to find the time? 

HellDiverUK    27
Posted (edited)

You're going to have to upgrade to 10G now, it's clearly the only way forward.

Edit: Oh, you have 10G.  Hmm...carry on! :)

Edited by HellDiverUK

bman    7

I was also pleasantly surprised to see speeds like that with the two 8TB golds I bought a couple months back.  Seems no need for lesser drives now!

NAStyBox    23
20 minutes ago, bman said:

I was also pleasantly surprised to see speeds like that with the two 8TB golds I bought a couple months back.  Seems no need for lesser drives now!

Certainly not with a 5 year warranty! Love these drives. 

bman    7

I'd be happier with WD having a 6 year warranty - I mean c'mon, they're frikkin GOLD!  (and Red Pros and Blacks already offer 5 years... soo)  But I am happy with them thus far. Will know more after 5 years of (ab)use.

NAStyBox    23
11 minutes ago, bman said:

I'd be happier with WD having a 6 year warranty - I mean c'mon, they're frikkin GOLD!  (and Red Pros and Blacks already offer 5 years... soo)  But I am happy with them thus far. Will know more after 5 years of (ab)use.

Oh the blacks are up to 5 now? I didn't realize that. The only reason I bought these now is the speed. https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-800074.pdf

bman    7

Golds are better anyway. Same speed as Blacks when comparing same-size drives, but Golds use less power, have an order of magnitude lower non-recoverable read error rate, twice the load/unload cycles (whatever that means) and 5 year warranty.

AFAIK Blacks have always had 5-year warranty - except maybe for a brief period after the Thailand floods several years back.  Given the specs though I would expect Golds to last a bit longer.  I'm looking for 10 years from them - but not holding my breath.

NAStyBox    23
58 minutes ago, bman said:

Golds are better anyway. Same speed as Blacks when comparing same-size drives, but Golds use less power, have an order of magnitude lower non-recoverable read error rate, twice the load/unload cycles (whatever that means) and 5 year warranty.

AFAIK Blacks have always had 5-year warranty - except maybe for a brief period after the Thailand floods several years back.  Given the specs though I would expect Golds to last a bit longer.  I'm looking for 10 years from them - but not holding my breath.

I'm just hoping they last until large SSDs become affordable. $12k for an 8tb drive is a little out of my budget. 

kizer    23

Nice Speeds!!! I just remembered Pre-clearing my 4TB Greens Blues and thinking.... OMG I need to pick up a new Hobby waiting for these things to complete. 

NAStyBox    23
13 minutes ago, kizer said:

Nice Speeds!!! I just remembered Pre-clearing my 4TB Greens Blues and thinking.... OMG I need to pick up a new Hobby waiting for these things to complete. 

I never really let one finish, lol. When I first built the box I used old 4tb drives that I knew I was replacing. I was only looking around for a good deal on 8's or 10's. Then the 10's popped up at a net $376. I bought 4, am putting in 3, and will leave the 4th out for a little while as I did not preclear the parity drive. It kept hanging the system, which is what is happening right now preclearing the other 2. Aside from that I figured it made it half way, and it's a parity drive. So it will get thrashed enough to fail if it's going to, and I have the spare for a while until I top 18tb or so I'm safe. 

So I learned how to check preclear status at the command line. That gui isn't coming up at all. 

kizer    23

I normally use a spare machine running nothing but console and pre-clear. I never had any good results running the pre-clear gui version myself. Its more than likely just my build, but I gave up trying to figure it out. 

• Upvote 1

NAStyBox    23
53 minutes ago, kizer said:

I normally use a spare machine running nothing but console and pre-clear. I never had any good results running the pre-clear gui version myself. Its more than likely just my build, but I gave up trying to figure it out. 

I actually just wrote a feature request asking for a crippled version ISO just for preclears. I'm on 6.3.3, so no worries it's not your version, lol. Yeah, whether it's with a trial or hopefully an image made just for preclears, I'm going to do the next one in a spare machine. I have an old Core2Duo that's about to get a cheap esata card. 

jonathanm    139
14 minutes ago, NAStyBox said:

I actually just wrote a feature request asking for a crippled version ISO just for preclears.

The trial version will do just that. The key is only required to start the array, but the array doesn't need to be started to run preclear, so even an expired trial key will preclear just fine.

• Upvote 2

NAStyBox    23
Just now, jonathanm said:

The trial version will do just that. The key is only required to start the array, but the array doesn't need to be started to run preclear, so even an expired trial key will preclear just fine.

Ahh I didn't realize that. Well then that's what I'll do. 

NAStyBox    23

Hah, I just remembered I have a spare dual-xeon Supermicro with 4 hot swap bays doing nothing. That's my new preclear box. Sitting right below the unraid box in the rack and I forgot all about it, lol. 

SSD    149

I really care about a fast cache disk for media processing, dockers, and (in the future) VMs. But the speed of the media-storing data disks is not a big issue for me. I was around in the early unRAID days when write speeds were the in 10-12 MB/sec. (THAT was painful!) Current write speed is very acceptable to me - and the incremental improvement that 7200 RPM would make to reduce a 10 minute write to 8 is not worth much to me. It's not like I'm sitting there waiting for it to finish very often.

For unRAID, sequential read and write is the primary use case. Reducing rotational delay is not that important, and the improvement in aerial density a more important factor that rotation speed. I expect I'm reading much faster on a 5400 RPM 8T drive than I'd be on a 7200 RPM 3T drive.

So if I can buy storage at $22/T for 5400 RPM vs $50/T for 7200 RPM with the same size disks, I will definitely be in the $22/T camp.

I do value high density storage. So I'd prefer 10T over 8T (assuming similar quality). And I'd even pay a premium. But not a 100%+ premium. No - until these bigger drives come down into the $20s, I'm sticking the the 8T Seagate archives for most of my array.

Call me cheap. :D

• Upvote 1

NAStyBox    23
1 hour ago, bjp999 said:

I really care about a fast cache disk for media processing, dockers, and (in the future) VMs. But the speed of the media-storing data disks is not a big issue for me. I was around in the early unRAID days when write speeds were the in 10-12 MB/sec. (THAT was painful!) Current write speed is very acceptable to me - and the incremental improvement that 7200 RPM would make to reduce a 10 minute write to 8 is not worth much to me. It's not like I'm sitting there waiting for it to finish very often.

For unRAID, sequential read and write is the primary use case. Reducing rotational delay is not that important, and the improvement in aerial density a more important factor that rotation speed. I expect I'm reading much faster on a 5400 RPM 8T drive than I'd be on a 7200 RPM 3T drive.

So if I can buy storage at $22/T for 5400 RPM vs $50/T for 7200 RPM with the same size disks, I will definitely be in the $22/T camp.

I do value high density storage. So I'd prefer 10T over 8T (assuming similar quality). And I'd even pay a premium. But not a 100%+ premium. No - until these bigger drives come down into the $20s, I'm sticking the the 8T Seagate archives for most of my array.

Call me cheap. :D

I wouldn't pay $50 either. I paid $37. Yes, I had a 10mb network back in the 90's. I know slow, lol. I also used to street race, and spend an entire weekend under a car just to shave a fraction of a second off a 1/4 mile. 

Well, I don't race cars anymore, have a clean license, and my insurance is cheap, lol. So I do this. Same game, different parts. Most speed for the least cash. But there's just no getting around slow drives. I'd put an SSD in my blender if I thought it would work faster. Unfortunately SSD's for a NAS are currently cost prohibitive. So I settled for these :P

tr0910    8

10mb networks were fast after 2.5mb Arcnet and 1/2mb proprietary​ crap. Only thing I didn't like about the first Ethernet was the coax daisy chain before TP and hubs arrived. Things have changed, oh they have...

NAStyBox    23
On 5/17/2017 at 3:07 PM, jonathanm said:

WOW, I have 2 drives preclearing right now on a trial running on a Core2Duo with only 4gb of mem. Preclear goes faster when there's no array running. I'll never run it on my prod box ever again. I'm going to remove the plugin. 

I'm glad you said what you said. I dug that box out to run Darik's Boot Nuke on some drives headed for ebay. Now the bench machine has yet another purpose. I think I may try to put UNRaid on a stick with a boot menu so I won't even have to swap the flash drive. Because leaving well enough alone isn't in my nature, lol

BRiT    45

You should be able to run the preclear plugin even with the array not started, no? Or did you mean just remove the plugin from your prod box?

NAStyBox    23
23 minutes ago, BRiT said:

You should be able to run the preclear plugin even with the array not started, no? Or did you mean just remove the plugin from your prod box?

From the prod box. I'm going to use it on the bench machine. Works great. Just not when the array, VMs, Dockers, and/or a parity check are running, lol

NAStyBox    23

BTW, here's a wonderful picture. See if you can find the joy in it, lol. 

theFinishLine.png

• Upvote 2

bman    7

Mmmm, 10TB gold....  come on lotto numbers, papa needs some brand new storage!!