How can we (unraid users) create a box similar to Qnap?

I've always loved Qnap's form factor, and compactness.  The box seems to be so powerful, and has a lot of functionality.  I wonder if we can create something like this?- https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/model.php?II=268  What parts will you suggest?  Which board, and which case?  I believe U-NAS NSC-800 will be a popular choice.  But from all I've seen, it's too tight to place all these features.  

What do I mean by something like this?

1. It has at least 8 drives (3.5)

2. It has 3 hdmi outputs, or can accommodate 3 displays

3. Accepts control of Kodi via provided remote, to control a specific docker app?

4. Has Thunderbolt ports

A few questions related to the features above:

1. In their scenario, what are the thunderbolt ports for?  Does the NAS have to be a desktop replacement too to be able to use the Thunderbolt ports?  (right beside the box) If the User is accessing this device far away, then the thunderbolt port is useless?

2.  If we connect IR via USB, and used Kodi as a docker app or vm, can we passthrough the IR directly to the kodi device? 

3.  What kind of setup can we do to have 1 hdmi output assigned to a TV, working with the remote, and the 2 hdmi outputs working as a desktop?  Do we need to allocate 3 separate video cards?

This is my dream machine.  What are your thoughts?

NSC-800 is an infuriating case to build in, and unless you're using a board with a really low profile cooler, you're stuffed.  If the passively cooled board needs any sort of air flow, then you're stuffed.

The slot in the top for a PCI-E card is not cooled in any way, so a card will just sit there and cook itself. 

I wasted days of my time building a machine in to the NSC-800.  I went for a E3-1230LV3 with a Noctua NH-9Li cooler, and was left with about 2mm of space between the top of the fan and the drive cage.  I tried to use an IBM M1015 in the top slot to run the drives, but it overheated and freaked out after an hour.  The only cooling is passive cooling through the case, which isn't anywhere near enough.  The kicker was the case doesn't take a standard 1U PSU, and I spent weeks and way too much money sourcing a tiny sliver of metal that adapted "real" 1U PSU to the NSC-800 standard (the adaptor cost more than the PSU).

I wouldn't recommend the NSC-800 to my worst enemy. 

Hahaha, your last statement is really funny.

Sadly, there isn't any other NAS case chassis that provides the same form factor. To me, that form factor showcases the all-in-one capabilities of current Unraid, Freenas OS. I wish there are more such cases to come out.

Silverstone DS380 is close, but I prefer horizontal ones better.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, I am one of those that don't have the space, and to have something as compact, and quiet (only by the looks of it) really appeals to me. Pedestal type cases, towers, have one flaw though. Most of them don't have hotswap functionality. At the same time, the hotswap bays provided by good brands such as supermicro go very deep, and hardly any compact tower case can accommodate them.

Though I must agree the case that has good cooling will eventually have longer lasting parts.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Hi NAStyBox,

Thanks for the suggestions above.  Though I prefer something like Qnap is because since my lack of space where the network equipment located, on a bookshelf, I prefer something only slightly deeper than a switch.  

If you check out my question above, I also ask what's the reason for placing Thunderbolt 3 on these NAS like Qnap if the box isn't placed on the desktop, where the device can be easily connected to a mobile device.  I think something like Qnap could possibly be designed to be placed on the computer desk as well.  It explains why there are 3 HDMI ports, 2 possibly for monitor, and secondary monitor, and the 3rd to be assigned to TV, passthrough of Kodi.

Freenas has this case, which looks pretty good for an 8-bay.  http://www.ablecom.com/product/?fPath=13&recordId=313