tucansam

Seagate Archive 8TB $175

tucansam    4

jet.com is running a deal with free shipping and 15% off first three orders.... Makes my price on the Archive 8TB $175/ea shipped.

NAStyBox    23
28 minutes ago, tucansam said:

jet.com is running a deal with free shipping and 15% off first three orders.... Makes my price on the Archive 8TB $175/ea shipped.

If you want the external case, you can shuck the drive out of this for $5 more. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179033&cm_re=seagate_8tb_external-_-22-179-033-_-Product

• Upvote 1

NAStyBox    23
2 minutes ago, tucansam said:

Right, but doesn't that void warranty?  

I guess that would depend on the drive in it. You can run the serial at the Seagate site, but even if the drive died just put it back in the case and ship it off to Seagate. The trick is not damaging the case when you open it. 

NAStyBox    23

I didn't see a youtube vid for this particular drive, but when I've opened them I usually look for a video. They're not screwed together but put together with a series of plastic tabs. Tools to open are credit cards, guitar picks, lol. Supposedly they're the same "Archive" drives in side like you found on Jet. I also just remembered, you DO need the case. Seagate knows which drives are from these external cases, and won't warranty them. 

The last time I did it was with a 4tb WD My Book. It was out of warranty anyway, so I just grabbed a piece of it and tore it off. That was a wrestling match. 

BRiT    45

There is a video for opening the Seagate External units posted in a couple of the Seagate Archive threads. I even reposted it within the last month.

heffe2001    3

Use code EMCRFBJ24 for an extra $10 off the Newegg price.  Just ordered 2 for work.  With our Premier account, got them for 339.98 shipped..

• Upvote 1

NAStyBox    23
23 minutes ago, heffe2001 said:

Use code EMCRFBJ24 for an extra $10 off the Newegg price.  Just ordered 2 for work.  With our Premier account, got them for 339.98 shipped..

Yeah that's a great price. I think I may order one for critical photo and file backup. I don't download movies or music, so that stuff can burn for all I care. It's just a re-rip if the array fails for whatever reason. 

jonathanm    139
12 minutes ago, NAStyBox said:

It's just a re-rip if the array fails for whatever reason. 

You must have loads of free time, or really enjoy ripping disks. I'd rather spend a little extra coin on backing up the work product than do it again.

NAStyBox    23
14 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

You must have loads of free time, or really enjoy ripping disks. I'd rather spend a little extra coin on backing up the work product than do it again.

The last time I did it I setup 4 pcs on a table, and just walked over every so often to swap. Took weeks, but not dedicated time. 

Then I used Freemake in batch to make the MP4's. With that you just load it up and wait. Takes days, but again no dedicated time. 

Of course I don't want to lose it, but with unRAID a lost disc doesn't mean much, so I don't expect I'll have to do it again. But if my wife does a select-all and delete on the pictures because she looked at them all, I can't stop that. Yes, she has read-only access to the pics, but that won't stop her from using one of my machines when I step out of my office for a drink or something. 

The family has an "upload" share they can transfer files to. But I'll do the moving, lol. There's no recycle bin on unRAID. One of these days I'll put in something to automate the moves, but no way I'm opening up the actual storage. Even with that, I want to put in a once a month backup of the pics within the array to combat accidental deletions. 

My wife isn't a complete idiot. But we're talking about a woman that once "cleaned up" the kitchen table because I walked away for a second and left a mess. Know what the mess was? Screws from a crappy consumer laptop that were all different, and laid out the way they had to go back in. One swipe added half an hour to the job. But the table was clean!

jonathanm    139
1 minute ago, NAStyBox said:

Screws from a crappy consumer laptop that were all different, and laid out the way they had to go back in. One swipe added half an hour to the job. But the table was clean!

LOL. I feel your pain! What I do is scotch tape the screws to the top sheet of a legal pad, roughly where they go. If I need to, I'll jot down a note or two beside the screws. That way the machine can be put aside for days and I can come back to the job without losing any time.

3 minutes ago, NAStyBox said:

There's no recycle bin on unRAID.

But there is a plugin to set up a recycle bin for all samba accesses. Won't help if you log in to the console and rm -rf, but it will keep windows network connected mayhem to a minimum.

• Upvote 1

NAStyBox    23
33 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

LOL. I feel your pain! What I do is scotch tape the screws to the top sheet of a legal pad, roughly where they go. If I need to, I'll jot down a note or two beside the screws. That way the machine can be put aside for days and I can come back to the job without losing any time.

But there is a plugin to set up a recycle bin for all samba accesses. Won't help if you log in to the console and rm -rf, but it will keep windows network connected mayhem to a minimum.

I should try the tape/legal pad thing. Then I can stop handcuffing the wife to a pole in the basement whenever I take something apart. 

• Upvote 1